Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vice report!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin

Sorry, I couldn't resist the thread title and thought it was a good excuse to report on my afternoon and it might be of interest for anyone looking at getting a set of vices.

I've just had a first play with my Christmas present - a set of Jaws of the Beast ski vices. I'm tarting up my old and fairly unused set of Wave-Magics to use indoors. Previously I've used a cheap two vice set, I managed, but it wasn't easy to hold the ski still when scraping as it relied on pressure on a rubberised suface to stop them moving horizontally when scraping.

Set-up.

Opened box and retrieve three obvious vice bits. How to attach them to the bench? Consulted the instructions, back into the box and at the bottom is a bag with 3 'G' clamps in it, wasn't expecting that as the first vice set had that aspect built into the vice units themselves. More instructions and a false start with the middle vice on back to front (Yup, only two ways it could face and I had it wrong!! rolling eyes Laughing ) and I had the three bits on the bench (kitchen work-surface).

Verdict.

What a difference being able to clamp the ski in the middles makes to the scraping! Very Happy This time with a clamp around the middle of the ski I could really lean on the tips and tails without the ski threatening to catapult upwards at the other end. For edging I looked at the 'fingers' apparently unable to grasp the ski like my old set did, but then realised that by tightening the central vice up on the ski it moved it rigidly up against the fingers I had it between and it held it nice and firmly for edging (getting the hang of the edging now - did it in no time at all and they feel great!) - this also has the advantage that you don't need to tighten two vices at each end - just firming up the middle vice pressures both ends of the ski in the 'fingers' so that saved time.

So all in all I think these are a better set than I had - they are more fiddly to set up with the separate clamps, but the middle vice is worth its weight in gold. I will also add that the outer vices are height adjustable so you can grasp what ever bit of the ski you need to. Seems a good Xmas pressie - many thanks Father Christmas!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 22-03-14 20:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh, and if you own a long haired white GSD don't let her lie down in the wax shavings!!! Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, the Jaws of Beast is a good set up. I didn't expect the clamps to come with the kit so I bought another set; luckily B&Q let me return those;-)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy