Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get the wife to let me go skiing twice next session !!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
try sulking and huffing and puffing so much that eventually she caves in and says "will you please pisss off and go skiing you are doing my head in!"

Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I could do with a new iron though, should have thought of that

Brilliant, quite briiliant.

However reading the OP, I suspect the concern should be more around "being let back in the house" rather than being allowed to leave.

My wife, for instance, changed the locks at home while I was in Les Arcs this year...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strax, Lol snowHead snowHead snowHead Oh that's made my day! Sorry to laugh at you.but Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strax, presumably keys were lost or something?

OT but it's up there with my parents moving house while me & my sister were at Uni.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is the sort of thread that makes living in a van in a ski resort car park . . . so much more fun than being married Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, depends if you need a lover, a drinking partner, a ski buddy or some saucepans (and an iron!) i suppose...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't persuade my girlfriend to come skiing with me, although she's quite happy for me to go for a week. Her opninion is that it's "wasting" a week of holiday and a lot of money (let's face it, ski holidays aren't the cheapest) on a holiday she doesn't really like, and she would rather we went somewhere else for our shared holidays. Which seems fair enough, but that doesn't stop me craving the second week skiing Very Happy

Although have been skiing in Scotland a few times at the weekend this year which scratches the itch a bit. Bonus of living within a reasonable day trip distance nowadays.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque wrote:
This is the sort of thread that makes living in a van in a ski resort car park . . . so much more fun than being married Twisted Evil

How're you getting on with Mrs Palmer and her 5 daughters...? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowyowl wrote:
Masque, depends if you need a lover, a drinking partner, a ski buddy or some saucepans (and an iron!) i suppose...

Let's see . . .

A lover? My heart is given to a Bristol lass; if unrequited and if sex is just your definition then there are many and varied resources available . . . though to be honest I'm working so hard at improving my health and fitness that I'm more than happy to crawl into my bunk on my own.

A drinking partner? If you can't make friends in a ski resort then you're a real curmudgeon . . especially with the bar staff . . . I'm at the level of just paying for one in two beers and that at the local price . . . 4 pints (US) for $8 Toofy Grin

A ski buddy? . . . OFFS rolling eyes Now I can ski for more than 100 yards without vomiting from fatigue I have no end of people to ski with.

Saucepans? I do miss cooking but I eat wonderfully well from both the local restos and the local markets . . . this is Colorado. Potheads are quite discriminate in their 'munchie' sources wink

Iron? I have a 1Kva inverter and a hand held steam wand . . . also a very clean laundrette . . . If I were mad enough I could even iron my ski socks Twisted Evil Though the delight of snuggling yer plums into a pair of fresh and dryer warmed shreddies is one that might get you arrested for public indecency.

Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Although Al doesnt like skiing, I'm not sure that I would even broach a second week away without the family. Wouldnt leave the family for a second week. This year had stick from the kids for going without them. Having gone last year they very much enjoyed it. Hopefully they will all get to go next year - I suspect if I have another trip I will need to settle for a long weekend
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just get a new wife. Seems dreadfully simple. Short term pain, long term gain. You have to decide which is more important - marriage or skiing. Largely because you have all the persuasive skill of a double glazing salesman.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mistress Panda, Is this the Mistress Panda, I owe a portion of pudding to or the one that doesn't know about it Puzzled
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

you have all the persuasive skill of a double glazing salesman

Laughing What with that and the iron and hilarity, I reckon the OP has given up. Too easily. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bit drastic (and expensive) but divorce has allowed me to have 9 weeks this year Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Claude B, Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

A bit drastic (and expensive)

indeed - even the most fancy iron would be a lot cheaper! But it probably wouldn't give anyone 9 weeks.
snow report
You could always ask her nicely. How about the phrase, "Darling, how would you feel if I went skiing?" However, others on this forum may come up with alternative phrases you might use...
snow report
Quote:

Just get a new wife

or borrow someone else's. Met a couple in the Hinterhag Alm two weeks ago who were desperate to avoid being pictured when everyone else was snapping away with their phones. He was 'on a work-related course' and she was having a 'girlie week away' Laughing
ski holidays
quinton, the goggle tan would give it away.
latest report
The OP could just ask her if he can go twice next year. If she says that doesn't sound fair then I think the couple should agree that his wife can have a week away by herself doing something she likes as well whilst he keeps house. It doesn't sound a difficult concept to me Puzzled
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
quinton, the goggle tan would give it away.

Jeez, have you got no imagination?

http://www.toxel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/skimask02.jpg
ski holidays
Surely if the OP just explains to "the little lady" that he needs some air then she'll understand... Plus the new iron and job done Laughing
snow report
Megamum wrote:
The OP could just ask her if he can go twice next year. If she says that doesn't sound fair then I think the couple should agree that his wife can have a week away by herself doing something she likes as well whilst he keeps house. It doesn't sound a difficult concept to me Puzzled

It doesn't work, far too logical for the average wife.
ski holidays
swiftoid, JEEEEZUS in a burito Shocked Shocked Shocked

That could give a child bedwetting dreams for years . . . I want one Twisted Evil
latest report
Quote:

The OP could just ask her if he can go twice next year. If she says that doesn't sound fair then I think the couple should agree that his wife can have a week away by herself doing something she likes as well whilst he keeps house. It doesn't sound a difficult concept to me

She gets just one week away when he goes skiing twice? Sounds a difficult concept to me.....
snow report
Honestly, if my husband wanted two ski trips next season, I would have no issue with him going. Just as he has no problem with me going skiing while he's working, or going to visit my parents, and he's even suggested I take a trip to England without him if I feel I need to go. We both realise we do need to do things that make us happy at times, and if that means doing things separately then that's ok. Or maybe he just feels guilty about being away so much for work, and I feel he needs to have fun when he is home?
ski holidays
For her recent Birthdays, I have already got her an iPod, iPhone and an iPad, I'm sure Kirsten will be delighted with her new iRon ........ snowHead
latest report
WiRED wrote:
Buy her a horse. If she's into it even half as much as my OH she won't even notice if you go 6 or 8 times rolling eyes

And for equality of costs you can go heliskiing. Result.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, well perhaps she encourages the first week away as a blessing in disguise Laughing . I think the same amount of cash ought to be blown on each person in any event.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 25-03-14 13:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I've had 5 ski trips this season, 2 with MrHL: and 3 with SH buddies. MrHL wll go off to Canada to do something dangerous in a canoe in bear country in the summer. We don't ask permission of each other, just tell the OH the plan. I do insist on planning our joint holidays in otherwise we'd forget to have them! It's easier when you have your own money and no children/caring responsibilities and the ability to buy leave Embarassed

I saw MrHL for 1.5 hours on Monday last week - the only time I saw him from 2nd to 22nd March... the reunions are nice Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

We don't ask permission of each other, just tell the OH the plan

If I wanted to do something which I knew was affordable from the budget then likewise, I would liaise with the OH about dates and other plans, but once the kids were independent I took off on several sailing trips (which didn't interest him) without "asking permission".

In families where leave time and budget are both very limited I can understand why there could be a clash of priorities, e.g. between a ski-fanatic and a lying-on-hot-beach fanatic. Then you need to find a compromise which everyone can enjoy, don't you? Fortunately my OH and I agreed that as we could only afford one expensive family holiday a year, it was definitely skiing. But when the kids were little and leave-time and budget quite tight, no way would I have thought it reasonable for either of us to expect a second "solo" week on the slopes. Local outings, mainly camping, etc or chartering a small and cheap boat were the standard fare in the summer.
snow report
holidayloverxx, Mr HL sounds cool.
ski holidays
I think it is pretty straightforward. You have to consider resources (time and money) and each party's interests. Can you afford a second week? Would taking it mean that your options for other leave were so compromised that you couldn't do other things together? Would taking it mean you were so skint that other leisure opportunities were too compromised? If both can be reasonably managed and she still won't let you go then I think there is a real issue.

For years I have generally had at least two ski trips a year. Originally (before I met Mrs DJL) they were both with bunches of friends. Later, before we had kids, we did one together and I did one on my own. When the kids came along we did one family trip (often with grandparents) and I did a "lad's trip". Some years I had to compromise a bit. The year my daughter was born in February I only managed one trip, dropping Mrs DJL. son and daughter at the MILs in Holland, driving down to Chatel and meeting up with a few friends for the last 3 days of the season - 29 April to 1 May if memory serves.

I'm more passionate about skiing than Ms DJL. She recognises that and likes to see me doing what I enjoy. She's more passionate about buying art, clothes, nice restaurants and city visits. I recognise that and like to see here doing what she enjoys. We both like spending time together but neither of us think it odd when we spend time apart. Yesterday she had lunch at the opening day of Marcus Waring's new restaurant in London. I was at work and did a 600 calorie 5:2 day that cost me £1.05 for a bowl of soup in the staff restaurant and a few bits out of the fridge at home. No issue with it.

A former colleague's wife on hearing that I was going on a ski trip with "the boys" concluded we had an open marriage (like I couldn't find a way to get up to mischief any other way?) and that Mrs DJL should "Make sure you spend at least as much as he did on yourself". What sort of thinking is that?

Our finances work in a very simple fashion. Everything we earn goes into a bank account. Most weeks I draw a bit of cash out (£50-100 typically) the rest covers all the cost of running a house in the UK, the apartment in France (if it needs a bit spending on it) two kids away at uni, a bit of savings and anything Mrs DJL wants to do. At the end of the month there is generally not much left. Put more simply I draw c. £75 she spends the rest. Most of the income comes from my salary. Do I feel hard done by? No. There have been times in the past that the income position was different and I was the lower earner. Nothing was much different - I still got my £75. Very Happy

Just because we do it this way doesn't mean everyone else should. My point is you have to work out an arrangement that works for both parties. If you can't there is something wrong that asking on an internet forum won't fix.
snow report
Quote:

My point is you have to work out an arrangement that works for both parties. If you can't there is something wrong that asking on an internet forum won't fix.

+1
ski holidays
I am actually quite fascinated with the permission thing. How does one partner actually stop the other going? Freeze the bank account? Hide the car keys? I can't think of a way to stop my OH going if I minded and he really meant to go. It's not really grounds for divorce is it and that's way too drastic!. He earns more than I do so I don't feel able to restrict how he should spend the money...as long as the bills are paid.
And as long as I get that iron..... Cool
snow report
Asking to go on two holidays is too much information at once. You should get permission for the first one, and go on that one without mentioning the second. When you return bring her a nice present, something like a sowing set or a pair of Knitting needles and she'll be made up. Then while you're in her good books start to say things like how much you would love to go again etc, wheedle your way around to it.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We don't ask permission of each other, just tell the OH the plan

In families where leave time and budget are both very limited I can understand why there could be a clash of priorities, e.g. between a ski-fanatic and a lying-on-hot-beach fanatic. Then you need to find a compromise which everyone can enjoy, don't you?

Yes, absolutely. We are fortunate that we don't have to find a compromise, although I do consider MrHL from time to time e.g. the EoSB is almost always his birthday week so I haven't always gone...not after the first one when I booked it before realising!
latest report
blahblahblah wrote:
holidayloverxx, Mr HL sounds cool.

I think so Very Happy
snow report
holidayloverxx, How wonderful ..a birthday party with lots of snowHead :sH:friends!
snow report
snowyowl, Yeah...but I go and he doesn't Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy