Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get the wife to let me go skiing twice next session !!!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
eblunt wrote:
Seriously, my mate only tells his wife he's going about two days beforehand. He reckons 2 days of advanced grief is much preferrable to 6 months of intermediate grief.

On the same lads ski trip there's another guy that is supposedly on a 'business trip'. We have to keep all his ski kit and bags for him, and then we swap over the business trip cases for the ski bag in the airport car park.

the 2 other guys that share the car with him dread the journey back from the airport .... 2 hours in a car with the heating turned up full, wearing 3 of his work shirts each. Very Happy

They need new wives, skiing=reasonable chance of picking up a knock-guess that can be explained what about a broken arm or leg or worse?! How do you explain the goggle tan?! This would be an intricate deception!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jedster wrote:
To be honest, I reckon two weeks skiing when married to someone who doesnt enjoy skiinig is a tough ask for most. Even if money is not a constraint, holiday allowances are likely to be. If you work full time then you probably have 4 to 5 weeks which you could spend together on holiday. I think most other halves would feel pretty upset if you wnated to spend 40-50% of your holiday time apart. 1 week is pretty good going in my book.
I mean if you think of teh time you spend a) apart at work b) asleep then holiday time is a pretty big chunk of the time available to spend with your other half. Choose to spend half of it apart and what are you saying about the marriage Very Happy

Tough one. I'm in that situation and I aim for three weeks plus 2-3 weekends skiing. At least I have a 6-week holiday allowance - my wife gets to pick the 2-3 weeks and long weekends over the summer.

I can understand the "how much time do you spend together?" way of looking at it, but I'm not really prepared to compromise much on the skiing... there comes a point in life when you have to try to do at least some of the things that make you happy, especially if you can pay for them. And to hope that others in your life accept you for the person you are.

That's not to say it's an easy negotiation...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, but the only thing to do is to pick the right wife in the first place. I had 80 days on the snow last year, of which about half were as a family. Of the remainder, about half were with one or both of my kids and the rest were on my own. Don't recall too many complaints apart from a few minor issues concerning me waxing skis on the kitchen table and storing about 20 pairs of skis in the living room. That has been solved amicably by allocating space for a ski workshop.

And she didn't laugh too much either when I crashed out ignominiously in a parallel slalom race when drawn against my youngest son last weekend.

M
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
schneeflocke wrote:
Quote:

2 days of advanced grief is much preferrable to 6 months of intermediate grief

Absolutely - though surely if this is his preferred modus operandi then is abou I would expect his wife to be looking out for indicators that this is what t to happen again!
Our approach is that my husband can take as many ski trips as he wants provided he takes me too!
Smile

The trick is that I ask to borrow some skiing gear, so there's an excuse for getting the kit out.

Bene Yes, he has to make sure he sits back to the sun at lunch, + full face balaclava for skiing does the trick !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just grow a pair and tell her you are going on two ski holidays and you don't mind if she does something she enjoys.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I find it really sad that people have to be so deceitful. I would be devastated to find out my OH had been lying to me. If they have so little in common, perhaps they are not in the right relationship.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells, +1
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simple just book her a girly holiday to somewhere like the Caribean or Dubai for herself and her best friend and I'm sure the problem will be solved and you can go off and enjoy yourself and not feel guilty. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, I agree!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells, quite.

Maybe I'm spoiled by a good relationship, but for me it's terribly simple. I only have 25 days holiday a year, and the thought of using a scarce resource on a holiday without my family is inconceivable.

If Mrs Jonny and the boys didn't want to ski, I'd do something else instead.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For the last 2 years I have enjoyed a family ski holiday and a long weekend away with friends. I am now looking to extend the weekend to a week. My wife is less happy with this as we have 2 young kids. I am OK with her taking a break with her friends at anytime. Negotiations are on-going. I will let you know how this works out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sent mine to New Zealand to see friends and I went twice with mates.....works for me Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

Our approach is that my husband can take as many ski trips as he wants provided he takes me too!

Works for us too Happy

That's what Mrs M says too, only she usually mumbles something about wanting to leave the kids behind as well Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Must admit I've found this thread quite eyeopening, mainly for the amount of holiday allowance some people seem to have! I get 25 days and thought that was pretty good.

I'm pretty much in Jonny's camp:
Quote:

I only have 25 days holiday a year, and the thought of using a scarce resource on a holiday without my family is inconceivable.

If Mrs Jonny and the boys didn't want to ski, I'd do something else instead.

Actually I do get away every year for a long weekend with a couple of mates on top of the family holiday(s). 50 weeks of the year the family recognise that this weekend trip is a very worthwhile opportunity for me to do some skiing I cant (yet) do with the kids and catch up with old friends. In the two weeks before I go it is generally seen in a less positive light Very Happy

My wife didnt ski when we met. fortunately she worked out that she really better enjoy skiing if the relatioship was going to blossom and being a determined sort she developed a ove for it prety quickly. I've got the kids thoroughly hooked too so all is good. I can't imagie me missing the family summer holiday so that I could go skiing without them. The mind actually boggles at that conversation!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm fairly fortunate in that I get 30 days and a couple of extra thrown at Xmas and I could only ever justify 5 days away without family. Just struggling with want to take family and ealising how much more it costs to take them especially as it will cost more for them with lessons and kit hire.
ski holidays
jedster, we get more only because hubby works half a day (Sat am) without pay and takes the time owed. HIs entitlement is actually 28 days plus bank holidays, which is quite generous anyway. I'm self-employed, so just work harder either side of my holidays.
latest report
Another option for some could be if going for two weeks do a week skiing then move on to the beach for the final week. This is something I am looking into at this moment as sat at the pool/bar in Frejus. It is only a few hours drive to Isola ( 2-3 ) and a few more to most of the French resorts.

Alternative for two weeks is glacier skiing spend a week doing that and a week in the valley and who knows other half might even decide skiing in the morning shopping in the afternoon is not such a bad deal ( your plastic friend may decide otherwise though Shocked ). Shocked Shocked
snow report
Reading this thread I realise I'm very lucky with my OH (none skier). I get a week at Christmas with the OH (mostly free as the County Council gave us extra days in return for cutting pay by 5%) usually in Livigno. OH's choice, she likes the bars/cafes/duty free shopping. The fact that the slopes drop right down into the village helps, she can sit in the sun with a drink and watch the skiers and I can get back for lunch.

Then I get a second week away on the Birthday Bash. Last year I got the Pre Birthday Bash as well and I've got a pass for both again in 2015.

Lucky, lucky me. snowHead
ski holidays
When you give her the new iron, don't forget she'll need to know where your wax and skis are as well.
snow conditions
Jude1, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
since my wife and i run 2 businesses, we spend almost all of our time together, so my annual lads trip isn't a problem in that respect. she's only pi$$ed off because she can't get her friends to co-ordinate and organise a similar week. been trying for 2 years now. would like to try and get 3 weeks next winter, 2 with family, 1 with friends.
snow conditions
Jude1, underneath something. .. Very Happy
ski holidays
I find smothering her (metaphorically speaking Twisted Evil) with "together time" then when you start to see "murder" in her eyes, offer her the glimmer of freedom and a week of peace! snowHead I almost got away with 5 weeks this year (though actually only took 3). snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 14-04-14 14:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Jude1 wrote:
When you give her the new iron, don't forget she'll need to know where your wax and skis are as well.

snowyowl wrote:
Jude1, underneath something. .. Very Happy

Nah - The skis will be sticking out of his ar5e. He better hope she waxes them first
snow conditions
Thornyhill,

And not sharpen the edges Happy, Anal Episiotomy - NICE Happy
snow report
This thread paints a really negative picture of relationships.

Signed smug single xx Toofy Grin
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
This thread paints a really negative picture of relationships.

Signed smug single xx Toofy Grin
Perhaps because those of us in relationships which work perfectly well despite skiing for 3 months of the year have kept quiet about it?

wink
snow report
Not really queen bodecia me and my husband have skied for 6 weeks this season. Signed Smug and happy married woman.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm only messing, keep your hair on people... wink

I suppose for me personally, since I only have 3 weeks and 8 days annual leave which I can't necessarily take when I want to (and never during school holidays), having to try and plan that around someone else would be a right faff.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
Not really queen bodecia me and my husband have skied for 6 weeks this season. Signed Smug and happy married woman.

Did you ski together? Toofy Grin

Not for all of it but for most of it. wink.
snow report
queen bodecia, unless the second person had really flexible holidays? Then they could just work round when you could get time off.
snow report
bobmcstuff, there never has been a second person for me, but I have noticed that many of my colleagues struggle to have time off at the same time as their partners/families, especially those with school-age kids.
snow conditions
Not losing any hair, well, not over this thread any way, but thought it worth pointing out that it's perfectly possible to have solid relationships which work even if you spend a lot of time doing different things. You just have to make sure you enjoy the time when you are doing the same things, whether that's the routine of day to day life or holidays you do have together.

Anyway, enough thread diversion...
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:

I suppose for me personally, since I only have 3 weeks and 8 days annual leave which I can't necessarily take when I want to (and never during school holidays), having to try and plan that around someone else would be a right faff.

Is that not illegal? I thought 20 days plus public was the minimum? I've had 30 days holiday for ages, started on 26 straight out of Uni, and I now get the extremely generous 30 plus 13 days public holiday that Bavaria thinks we all need Smile Mind you I don't think I'm that well paid when looking at other similarly qualified professions so I suppose the good holiday allowance and flexible working makes up for that.
snow report
lynseyf, yes, 28 days including bank holidays for a full-time worker, but perhaps QB has to take one of those weeks when her company closes over Christmas?
snow report
lynseyf, 3 weeks and 8 days is 23 days, plus 8 bank holidays so over the minimum, the most generous holidays I have ever had. I work between Christmas and New Year, I'm last in the queue for time off during school holidays.
snow conditions
lynseyf, Wow! That's a total of 43 days...2 months off a year. Maybe we should join the EU or something Shocked
latest report
snowyowl, I got 30 when I worked in the UK as well plus 10 and could take the 10 whenever I wanted which i can't do now. The 13 public days is great, unless they fall on a weekend then you lose them Shocked I've only been here 2 years and they have been "good" years but think there's a bad one due soon. My mum got 30 plus 10, plus she worked flexi time and got an extra 2 days off a month from going in early every day so 64 days a year, I'm always going to feel hard done by in comparison.
ski holidays
lynseyf, I worked flexi time (and part time for a long while) as well but mine worked the other way..as I had kids I was often having to take odd days /hours off and then on occasion would have to work an extra day to make up the time! And if a Bank Holiday fell on a working day and I was *forced* to have a Monday off I was only entitled to 3/5 of it (as I worked 3 days) so would have to work more hours to make up for the bit I wasn't entitled to (or take holiday). At the end of my working career I was on 30 days plus bank holidays pro-rata for my part time hours. The extra 10 days you and your Mum get are a mystery though.
I still think flexi time is the biggest perk there is...As a Civil Servant I don't recall there being any others in any case!
snow conditions
snowyowl, the 10 is bank holidays, think 8 is minimum in Uk but some places give more
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy