Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which is the most aggressive ski resort.

Poster: A snowHead
I get mad when people don't fill chairs and other people get mad at the people on the chair.

"Tch. There's this huge queue and those 2 selfish pricks are on a sixer!"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I tend to waft around in a little bubble of happiness when skiing and never really notice much bad behaviour. I have to say, Glencoe sounds a peculiarly aggressive and unfriendly place but then I can't say I have ever been there (and I'm extremely unlikely ever to go).

There can be some 'interesting' Glaswegians up at glencoe at times, often during the week. Let's just say they don't make a living from a 9-5 occupation. But they love the snow, snowsports and having fun with their mates the same as the rest of us. Kind of the same as the Glaswegian shipyard workers who were among the first to ski the mountain.

However it's never been anything less than friendly, and I am there several times a season

So you are judging a place, that you've never been to, on the basis of...eh....whit exactly?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nelbert75, I'm judging it on the basis of comments I've read on here. My comment about never being likely to ski here is purely on account of logistics. If you live in the South of England, why would you ever ski in Scotland? It's just as easy to go to the sun, snow, food etc. of the alps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Nelbert75, I'm judging it on the basis of comments I've read on here. My comment about never being likely to ski here is purely on account of logistics. If you live in the South of England, why would you ever ski in Scotland? It's just as easy to go to the sun, snow, food etc. of the alps.

Well I've been taking part in snowsports on meall a' bhuiridh (skiing then boarding) since the mid 90's. Not once in my 100+ trips have I ever seen anything bordering on aggressive or dangerous from anybody. For at least 5 years my memories consist of powder, soft snow, parks and nice tunes. And the best view on the planet (yes slightly biased, but I've also been a lot of places to compare)

I'm not gonna deny this has and is often balanced out by poor visibility and winds that'll blow you off the back of the mountain, but there you go. The fact is this is skiing and boarding in YOUR country (for now and probably for the foreseeable future) we're not alps nor do we try to be.

If you choose to judge the place by some heresay on a forum, then that's your choice. Stay in East Plumstead and head to Meri d'isere d'huez anton for your week of fannying about. We don't really need you. Glencoe has been buzzing for last 2 years and is attracting record numbers (compared to five years ago when it looked as if it would possibly close). Year after year recently the snow has been great.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geoffknight, Whilst some people want to get up lifts as quickly as possible and hurtle down slopes all day, some others view skiing holidays in a different light. I, for example, am very happy to let people past me in a lift queue so that I can go up the chair lift with my family and friends. Its a time to comment on the beautiful scenery or discuss some technical point of skiing one of us has been working on. The only snag is that most of my family do not understand my point of view Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nelbert75, If you recall, all I said was that 'Glencoe sounds an aggressive place'. I'm not judging it, I'm not saying it IS aggressive or unfriendly I am simply recalling some of the things I have heard or read and I am more than happy to accept that it's the friendliest ski resort on the planet. That seems a tad unlikely considering the welcoming gone of your comments above but it wouldn't put me off if I was in the area with time to spare.

Would the high winds, poor visibility, small ski area, probable lack of charming mountain restaurants and decent ski-in/ski-out accommodation persuade me to go elsewhere? That's more likely. My point was not that I wouldn't go there, just that it is logistically unlikely.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CaravanSkier, I agree. Spending time with friends is much of what skiing is all about for me. Sure I can go without seeing them for 5 minutes. I can go without seeing them for weeks, but that is hardly the point. I have no desire to lift places empty deliberately, and others are welcome to fill them up but why would one want to charge onto an empty single place (when someone else can fill it) just so I get up the mountain 30 seconds before my friends, and then have to wait for them at the top.

I agree there should be a 'singles' line on some of the busier lifts, but most queues I have stood in for the last few years have been very short so people should just chill and soak up the sunshine Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I must admit I don't tend to think of holiday places using terms like 'aggressive' it seems a very odd term to describe places that you go to in order to have 'fun'. I can see it's use in describing some places like run-down inner city locations that don't feel safe, but to use it to describe holiday locations seems somewhat odd IMO. why would anyone want to go to an 'aggressive' holiday destination Puzzled
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CaravanSkier, what I was trying to say is that I get frustrated when lifts aren't fully utilised and it creates a long wait. I love the whole mountain experience, but would rather stop and look at the scenery at my own leisure and find some inner peace man , the bottom of most lifts don't have a great view generally
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
foxtrotzulu, the thing is that 30 seconds doesn't affect you much, but if 30 (and the rest) people all make the same decision that starts to add up in terms of time for those waiting right at the back. Several times on holiday we waited 20 minutes+ for a lift. When you are at the back of a queue like that and you only see two sets of skis dangling from a multi-seater lift on numerous occasions it is somewhat frustrating.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have to reset my politeness clock when I get home, otherwise it find myself nipping past people gossiping in the queue in the local shop. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Andorra, ranks as most aggressive or to be exact, contains lots of clueless skiers, who see nothing wrong in bee lining it, without having any of the necessary skills. Of course the hangover factor, plays it's part in the collision rate/mayhem.

Livingo to a lesser extent.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jbob, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Megamum, I do understand because my boys feel like you, but what works for one person on holiday does not necessarily for another!

foxtrotzulu, a singles line could be a good idea on some busy lifts at busy times. I generally avoid those busy places if I can.

I was intrigued at Arc 2000 this Xmas to find a gondola with several entrances, lots of single skiers seemed to nip through an early break in the barrier to fill up places in gondolas at the last minute before they fled up the mountain. It is a good idea, then again I`d rarely get to travel on ski lifts with my sons because they would all nip through the 'early/late' barrier rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is snow heads the most aggressive? Nah TGR
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do not have a problem with filling lifts,after all it lessens the queue. You do need to be polite in doing it though. When skiing though there does seem to be more "macho" resorts, st Anton springs to mind. Ok, I will admit I am not the best of skiers but the number of times that people seem to be using me as a salmon ski pole seemed unacceptable. I am quite capable of skiing St Anton but it does seem to be a boy's resort. This may be why they now have a lady's week
snow report
Quote:

Would the high winds, poor visibility, small ski area, probable lack of charming mountain restaurants and decent ski-in/ski-out accommodation persuade me to go elsewhere? That's more likely. My point was not that I wouldn't go there, just that it is logistically unlikely.

well the wind and poor vis aren't worth commenting on unless you really believe it's always like that then probably best you stay indoors and never ski again, small ski area... well in km yes but without wanting to sound like a kn0b I doubt you could ski all of this little area and it would probably send you home humbled, it has a severe lack of charming mountain restaurants that I agree with Madeye-Smiley and ski in out it does have which for as small a place as Glencoe is quite a feat, perhaps you should put your internet prejudices aside and give it a try sometime you might be surprised
snow conditions
geeo,
Quote:

well the wind and poor vis aren't worth commenting on unless you really believe it's always like that then probably best you stay indoors and never ski again
I don't quite understand the logic of that statement. Of course, I don't believe it's always like that, but I do believe it's more often windy with poor viz than a typical resort in the Alps. Am I wrong?

Quote:

small ski area... well in km yes but without wanting to sound like a kn0b I doubt you could ski all of this little area and it would probably send you home humbled,
Whether I can ski every piste or not is completely irrelevant. My point is that, as you point out, the ski area is small in terms of kms and therefore may become repetitive if I spent a solid week skiing there.

Quote:

ski in out it does have which for as small a place as Glencoe is quite a feat
Some of the pictures of the accommodation look a bit grim, but I have to agree it is, on paper, ski-in/ski-out.

Quote:

perhaps you should put your internet prejudices aside and give it a try sometime you might be surprised
I have no idea what you are on about when you say 'internet prejudices'. As I have already pointed out earlier in the thread the reasons why I am unlikely ever to go skiing in Glencoe are purely logistical. I can get to the Alps in the same time as it takes to get to Glencoe. If I lived in Scotland I'm sure that I would visit Glencoe occasionally. But I don't live in Scotland and I haven't yet come across any compelling reason why I would have a better holiday there than in the Alps. If I've missed something, then please enlighten me.

Of course, what is interesting is that this thread was about the most aggressive ski resorts. I said that Glencoe sounded pretty unfriendly (based upon comments I'd read here) and as well as Nelberts constructive comment
Quote:

However it's never been anything less than friendly
the only other comments from the Scottish contingent here have all verged on the mildly aggressive.... e.g.
Quote:

Stay in East Plumstead and head to Meri d'isere d'huez anton for your week of fannying about. We don't really need you.
snow report
I'd rather skin my own toes than ski in Scotland.
latest report
Obviously we will have to agree to disagree on what is aggressive foxtrotzulu

You made a silly comment about my local resort 'sounding aggressive' based on some comments someone made on here, when in over 100 visits I have never seen anything of the sort. If you don't recognise that someone with multitudes of experience in said resort is going to disagree with you then I think I see the problem.

Compounded when I come back a few days later and you're quoting me ad verbatim, and clearly unable to let it go when other posters raise the same issue

So I enjoyed a proper bluebird powder day up there yesterday and the forecast is excellent for the rest of the week. Now may be the time to set aside your clear issue with Scottish resorts wink Very Happy
latest report
It's all the processed meat. Meddles with serotonin in the brain. Less square sausage, more muesli - problem solved.
latest report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
It's all the processed meat. Meddles with serotonin in the brain. Less square sausage, more muesli - problem solved.

Mr Pieholeo, you're not a follower of the late Stanley Green are you? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Nelbert75, I'm not sure if you are deliberately misinterpreting my comments, or just haven't actually read them. If you look back you will see that I said that Glencoe 'sounds a peculiarly aggressive and unfriendly place, but I haven't actually been there". Surely to goodness that makes it quite clear that I am more than happy to consider the views if those who HAVE been there. If I had said that Glencoe IS aggressive, then that would have been silly as I was only reporting comments from this website. I made it abundantly clear that it wasn't my own view. I even referenced your comment about how friendly it actually is and yet you still seem to be obsessed with some daft notion that I am 'dissing' Glencoe.

I have zero issues with Scottish resorts in much the same way that I have zero issues with Australian, Bulgarian, or Chilean resorts. They are largely irrelevant to me. Now, once again if you can persuade me that skiing in Scotland is in some way superior to skiing in the Alps then I'd be more than happy to consider it, but as I keep pointing out it doesn't have any logistical advantage to me to fly North as opposed to South East.
snow conditions
Jimmy Savile used to live there. Just saying.
ski holidays
And you added "nor am I ever likely to go there" - why would you not want to try and ski in your own country? (for now at least) - If you haven't been there and are never going to go then why are you commenting at all?

Like I said before, for some reason you can't leave without the last word.

And I'm not the offended type but there are a number of you resorting to cultural stereotypes. The numerous stereotypical southern English loud boorish hooray henry's that I see in the alps twice a winter certainly make for a less pleasant, if not quite aggressive experience.

Jimmy Savile was from Yorkshire. What's your point?
ski holidays
Quote:

I don't quite understand the logic of that statement. Of course, I don't believe it's always like that, but I do believe it's more often windy with poor viz than a typical resort in the Alps. Am I wrong?

I don't know I am not a weatherman and I have done no research to see if that's the case or not and no way would I ever make such a supposition despite living here, skiing here 30/40 days a year and going to the alps 5/6/7 times a year because there's a good chance I will be totally wrong and I would never want to mislead people due to my own ignorance, also the alps is a big place from which you can pick and choose so of course there's going to be more variable weather over 1000km than 100km.

Quote:

Whether I can ski every piste or not is completely irrelevant. My point is that, as you point out, the ski area is small in terms of kms and therefore may become repetitive if I spent a solid week skiing there.

well I never quite understand that logic, in my eyes if I cant ski something I want to learn how to I don't like the mountain beating me, if all you want to do is have your skis guide you about the alps and bumble about on some blues and the odd red then millions of km's might be needed but again seeing as most pistes are 99% the same i still don't get the whole need to have 100 of them, i'd be as well just looking at pictures of the mountains from the balcony as skiing cant be the main desire then.

Quote:

Some of the pictures of the accommodation look a bit grim, but I have to agree it is, on paper, ski-in/ski-out.

not any worse then some French rentals Smile
Quote:

I have no idea what you are on about when you say 'internet prejudices'

it's windy
the vis is crap
the runs are small
the accommodation is rubbish
all from someone who hasn't even been there
sure you seem really open minded to me
Quote:

the only other comments from the Scottish contingent here have all verged on the mildly aggressive.... e.g.

dramatizing it a bit are we?

do you really expect people who actually ski here and know what it is really like to just ignore some random ramblings? although to be fair that's exactly what it deserved and we should have done NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

Excellent, we don't want our stock of booze and mars bars depleted to critical levels Little Angel

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 24-03-14 18:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Nelbert75 wrote:
And you added "nor am I ever likely to go there" - why would you not want to try and ski in your own country? (for now at least) - If you haven't been there and are never going to go then why are you commenting at all?

And I'm not the offended type but there are a number of you resorting to cultural stereotypes. The numerous stereotypical southern English loud boorish hooray henry's that I see in the alps twice a winter certainly make for a less pleasant, if not quite aggressive experience.

Most aggressive poster?
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:
Nelbert75 wrote:

Most aggressive poster?

Nah - just the most easily wound up. But with two people determined to get the last word this thread could go on until the end of the internet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valkyrie, True enough.
snow report
oh ok I just wont reply to the points he made, should make for a great forum where no one replies eh rolling eyes yes forgive me for my 5 posts in a 2 page thread i'm clearly obsessed
latest report
blahblahblah wrote:

Most aggressive poster?

Whit are you sayin?? wink

geeo wrote:
oh ok I just wont reply to the points he made, should make for a great forum where no one replies eh rolling eyes yes forgive me for my 5 posts in a 2 page thread i'm clearly obsessed

Looks like we've got a wee bit of cross border agro going on here. Hadrians wall, 3pm? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
it's ok once we get independence we can ban them all Twisted Evil
snow report
Nelbert75 wrote:
blahblahblah wrote:

Most aggressive poster?

Whit are you sayin?? wink

geeo wrote:

Looks like we've got a wee bit of cross border agro going on here. Hadrians wall, 3pm? Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Nelbert75 wrote:
Hadrians wall, 3pm? Toofy Grin

Nah, we're not travelling up there - see you in Innsbruck. wink
snow report
Anywhere there are Dutch men
snow conditions
Dr John, So the answer all along was "Whats the most aggressive ski resort? Stanton"
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, judging by last week, yes. Was quite amusing to chat to locals who, almost without exception, dislike the dutch intensely.
latest report
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

'Glencoe sounds an aggressive place'.

As a matter of interest, which posts on this forum did you pick this up from? All I can remember that sounded remotely aggressive was a single thread where someone complained about a group who persistently queue barged. This was commented on by others in the thread who ski there regularly as being most unusual, though not denied, queue barging is hardly an unknown phenomenon in the alps.
I ski both Glencoe and the alps regularly and find both friendly but in terms of aggressive queue barging the alps wins hands down.

As to why go there? the answer is if you don't you don't know what you are missing. It is a very different experience looking over Rannoch Moor is truly spectacular in a totally different way to the alps, neither is more beautiful than the other both are different and wonderful experiences.
I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to ski many of the major alpine resorts as well as many minor ones I have also skied in New Zealand, Japan, America and Canada many of my most memorable days have still been in Glencoe, even if I lived in the South of England I would still make time to visit< I would not book my only skiing holiday of the year as a week in Glencoe but I sure as hell would find the time for a few days in Scotland preferably at short notice when the forecast is good.
snow conditions
I definitely plan to go skiing in Scotland at some point - the scenery is stunning! My OH learned there years ago and had a brilliant time, despite the challenges to a beginner snowboarder of bitter wind and T bars Smile Can understand that people living darn sarf may feel the long journey isn't necessarily worth it in comparison to driving to the Alps, but

Quote:

seems a tad negative! Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

'Glencoe sounds an aggressive place'.

Especially if you are a MacDonald
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy