Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva-Les Arcs (Sat 22nd Mar) transfer disaster...

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd check on here in case anyone might be able to help by some miracle. I checked Bens Bus weeks ago (and even yesterday) and decided it was the best option (13.25 option) for getting from Geneva to Les Arcs this weekend (any time after noon).

But I have been snowed under with work and didn't get round to booking. Finally had some time to do some admin and tried to book today and there is only one seat left, and I need two! I'm despairing...

Is anyone aware of good, similarly priced alternatives, or going themselves with a car or in some way able to help me? Or should I just book train or later bus and resign myself to a 20 hour journey and an 8.30pm arrival?

Thanks in advance for any help...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does Alti bus go?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WellingtonBoot, try www.findtransfers.com - you never know. Good Luck
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Does Alti bus go?

yes, and quite frequently on Saturdays I think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just catch the altibus, lots of journeys on a Saturday. You can book online at http://www.altibus.com/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies. Problem with altibus is that it's twice the price... Will have a think.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WellingtonBoot, Try Coolbus

http://www.thecoolbus.co.uk/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WellingtonBoot wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Problem with altibus is that it's twice the price... Will have a think.

But if it has the 2-spaces you need do you have an option?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.lesarcsnet.com/travel/transfers/guide.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I was thinking about train, which is a bit of a bind, but can be done via chambery to bourg st maurice. And it's notably cheaper. Services like Cool Bus quote me 750 euros... Is it only me who can't really believe those prices? Anyway, as it is, I've just split the group and we're travelling separately but both with Bens Bus, one 3 hours earlier.

Thanks though, everybody, great response!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Altibus aren't twice the price of Ben's Bus. Think it's €106 return vs. £75. Only about €15 difference per person.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want a private door to door service (which I totally understand that you don't) then 700 € plus is about right. Imagine iff the off legs are empty ( not always the case). Then you are looking at a driver driving 12 hours to get you to and from resort. How much would you pay for a 3 hour taxi ride each way. Really depends what you want.

Andy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WellingtonBoot wrote:

Stop dithering. That's what caused the problem.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go to Niseko next time...that same transfer of 2.5 hours will cost you about £18 !

Flight a teeny bit longer...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Filthyphil30k, that's very perceptive of you, ha... it's the sense that I might be missing something better and that it's a lot of effort to actually book - of course neither of those concerns are generally true. Anyway, I did book, as explained above, and given that they keep some free spaces on the following bus for people with late flights, we might end up travelling on the right bus together as originally planned.

anderoo, you make a good point, I suppose. It's just the absurdity of longer distance taxi prices scaled up quite a bit. Still, it surprises me that there aren't cheaper bus/coach options for getting around. An average 3 hour bus journey between two cities over here typically costs around £10-15, after all.
latest report
WellingtonBoot, yes, have to say we have used Alti bus and and I didnt remember it being expensive - it is a lot of £ for a big old shared bus ride
ski holidays
I found myself in a similar position for return leg on Sat 29th. So now I have booked onto altibus rather than Bensbus. One question for someone who has booked altibus before. I have the payment receipt from the payment page but have not got anything (eg email) that actually confirms the date and time that I booked onto. Is this normal? I only booked yesterday evening so it may be that it will take a little time to catch up, but I thought overnight would be enough.
snow report
SteveM it will be in your junk email folder mate, check there Smile
ski holidays
Sinkrate, of course! Thanks rolling eyes
I had completely forgotten that gmail had a hidden spam folder Embarassed

All sorted now, looking forward to snow Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Have a good time mate, must admit I wondered where it was for a few days as well!
latest report
WellingtonBoot, As you say this is a public bus between 2 places doing a regular service and ideally filling the bus. This is the same as Bensbus and Altibus which is why they are cheaper than a transfer. The fact that the bus is still quite expensive is that

A) it's in France and the social charges are crippling
B) There is only 20 weeks max to make enough to pay for the other 32 weeks (ok we do also work pretty hard in summer too)

Andy
snow conditions
And Bens Bus is cheaper as they only do weekends. As a true service bus the Altibus is there every day at least 3 times a day to Tignes throughout the season including the second Tuesday in January when you are the only passenger and it still takes you to where you want to go.
ski holidays
Resurrecting an oldish thread. I land at 6:30PM on Sunday 28th and having checked Ben's Bus and Altibus, only Altibus still has a bus and it runs at 7:15 - cutting it a bit fine.

Are there any alternatives that'll get me to Les Arcs that night? I also don't lie the idea of paying 80 euros for a bus transfer, so if they're cheaper that would be great to!
snow report
@eshroom, Unless you are going to hitchhike - no. If you put your flight times on your booking Altibus have been known to wait - no guarantees. If you miss it they will probably put you on the first one on Monday but that won't be till lunchtime. Given its about 3 hours each way €80 is not that bad - there's no cheap headline fares but then if you book at the last minute its the same price.
ski holidays
Quote:
There is only 20 weeks max to make enough to pay for the other 32 weeks
I've heard a bar/restautaurant owner use the same argument - although they then couldn't explain why (a). Food and drink prices are also sky high in year-round ski towns like Chamonix; and (b) Why they were totally discounting any summer income (albeit not on the scale of winter) - especially as it was July when I was speaking to them in resort...

Anyway, it's given me an idea Very Happy!! I think I'll try generating a full year's rent from the ski season only in respect of my Tignes apartment wink....Bingo!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy