Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes in early April - will it be busy?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a trip on 5 April and Tignes is a possible destination. Is it likely to be very busy, then, though? I've never been there and don't really know when the peak periods are.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
J2R,

Tignes should be quiet w/c 5th April.No major holidays.

if you are looking for a good deal try Tignheschalet Company. Good chalets & some great deals on offer at the moment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steward woodward - 5th April is the first week of UK school holidays. I believe it is also Belgian holidays. No idea how quiet/busy Tignes will be though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've skied the last 3 years when the schools break up in April (Les Coches x 2, La Norma). Never busy. Giving it a miss this year but not because of busyness
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Layne wrote:
I've skied the last 3 years when the schools break up in April (Les Coches x 2, La Norma). Never busy.

Hmm, not skied in Europe in April before. Maybe it's only the more hard-core skiers who think to ski late in the season?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Hmm, not skied in Europe in April before. Maybe it's only the more hard-core skiers who think to ski late in the season?

An indication is the number of people who ask on SH's if you can still ski in April or do they have to go somewhere really high. My missus who is from south west Germany so only a couple of hours away from the Alps. Once spring arrives she starts thinking beach! The first time I went skiing was in early April (to Tignes ironically enough). These days it's because I have kids at school. The wife can't get Feb half term off so we've been at Christmas and April when the schools break up. It can definitely get warm and the snow slushy but equally it is great picnic and beer on the terrace weather. And you can still get a dump of snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Layne wrote:
An indication is the number of people who ask on SH's if you can still ski in April or do they have to go somewhere really high.

Actually, I think anyone who is on SnowHeads is already fairly hard-core by comparison with the majority of the skiing public...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
J2R, ha ha! I am not so sure...the hardest core folk I know are not on Snowheads!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think there is a massive range of people on SHs. And I'm not sure the time of the year you go equates with hard core. April is a "risky" time of the year. Undoubtedly there will be slopes closed, it won't be wintry, etc. It's just a naturally quieter time I think. But if your circs dictate it's a good time for you or want to take advantage of the cheaper prices and quieter slopes, or you just fancy it, it can also be a really good time to go. One thing I would say is that we had a couple of very warm ones with poor/detoriating conditions but we had young kids which was less of an issue. We didn't ski on the Saturday when we normally would have. Also if you book late you will have a better idea of how things will be. FWIW I think this year is not looking like a great one. I was a bit sad we weren't going and for a while was thinking of doing a "boys trip" but now I am going to pass and not so sad about missing the April family trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
J2R, ha ha! I am not so sure...the hardest core folk I know are not on Snowheads!!

Sure, there's hard core and hard core. But the mere act of going onto a skiing forum suggests a level of enthusiasm and dedication beyond yer average holidaymaker. Of course, there will always be those who are too busy hucking big cliffs in Kamchatka or wherever to contribute their wisdom to Snowheads.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Layne wrote:
FWIW I think this year is not looking like a great one.

No, I'm convinced, on the basis of no evidence whatsoever, that the temperatures will drop in the next 2 weeks and the snow will fall and fall...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
J2R, I have skied Espace Killy loads of times in Early to mid-april (as I will be this year.) It is has always been quiet and the conditions have always been very good (but once.) The base depth this year is about or above average, there has been the usual warm spell to scare everyone (including myself.) I have experienced some superb powder skiing every time I have been skiing in April in Espace Killy - along with spring snow and the usual mixed conditions. Two years ago it was dumping right up until I left on the 18th (ish) April. I have skied between 30/40cm of powder in bluebird conditions twice on 19th and 18th April respectively with very few people skiing off piste. The long-range weather forecast is showing heavy snow and a drop in temperatures in Tignes starting this weekend - which is what often happens. The skiing in Espace Killy, Paradiski, St Foy, 3Vs, and Chamonix in April is often brilliant. It would be a freak year if it was not excellent again this year with some heavy snow fall!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depending on where the rain snow line is this weekend, Tignes may be a bit busier than normal as we might be one of a few places with reasonable snow
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/mid

Looking good.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have booked for Tignes on 5th April too. Hoping for good conditions
snow conditions
I'm going Tignes on the 5th April too through Action Outdoors staying at the UCPA in Val Claret. It will be my first time at a resort so am hoping that it's not too busy and the conditions are good.
latest report
I left Tignes this morning. Conditions on piste had been generally good all week, though inevitably slushy from mid afternoon in relatively high temperatures. The higher altitude runs were excellent, including from the Grand Motte down Double M run into Val Claret. Solasie above Val D'Isere and La Fornet also very good. Yesterday there was a major snowfall and smaller falls are predicted throughout next week, along with lower temperatures (below freezing maximum most days I believe). Given good snow 'farming' and grooming across the Espace Killy, conditions should still be fine well into April. They'll be doing all possible to keep the Easter crowds happy later in April. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Hope good conditions in Easter. We are staying in Val Claret which we thought would be high enough...
Intermediate, were the pistes slushy just near the resort or also mid mountain?
ski holidays
pgoncalv, Go to the Snow Reports section - I put a report on Tignes there every day.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy