Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen trip report - march 8th - 15th 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having visited mayrhofen during our first 2014 trip back in Janruary we spotted a cheap package deal and couldn't resist:

So the basics.........crystal ski package deal flying from Edinburgh to Innsbruck

Flights: well organised and on time, staff dealt very well with a stupid drunken passenger who kept trying to light a fag and then wouldn't do as he was told and kept opening the overhead bins looking for a lighter, it almost ended in a bust up with another passenger!!.....innsbruck airport was a mess on arrival too many flights and no parking spaces and even worse in the baggage hall, and I'm sure folk lost skis and board in the mela outside

transfers: again well organised and nice coaches, normal sales pitch from the rep on the way there but we weren't interested and she respected that as it was only 4 weeks since we had been here before.

accomidation: Strass Snow Homes.....stayed in the Haus Strass above the toy store on the main street. its very basic but rooms were huge and functional. its the staff accommodation block so fairly quiet. its a great location for both the Penken and the Ahorn and only two mins walk to the ski bus for the train station or the glacier bus. only problem was the main door downstairs didn't lock and neither did the ski / boot room so we kept all our kit upstairs in our room. Breakfast and dinner in the main hotel in the 3 star restaurant good food, excellent service. used the pool a couple of times and the new sauna / steam area, was very good.

Skiing....skied the penkenn area, the ahorn mountain, the hintertux glacier and a day down in Kaltenbach. Penken is good but runs are pretty short and can get very busy as its the main ski school hill, best skiing here is over towards eggalm or above the black 17. best food was the hut with the large pyramid its called the scheemkar hut or something, not the cheapest but food was ace, also the place at the fun park did awesome pizza's. Ahorn is a great wee hill for just blasting around and working on technique we really enjoyed it especially the home run, best food up there was the acorn hutte but definitely worth heading to the white lounge for a drink. Hintertux is amazing but its a long way, 30-40 mins on a bus and then 30 mins to the top of the Glacier, we got the 8am bus from town and didn't clip in until around 9.20am!! skiing wise is amazing pistes are huge and it has a huge amount of vertical, did both the home runs and both were great fun. New Tuxerhaus is amazing food is great. Kaltenbach being away from the main tourist accommodation was quieter and the runs are longer, its known as a free riders resort and i can see why, lift accessed off piste is great, really liked this resort and barely scratched the surface with one days skiing. getting there is easy train to kaltenbach station and a 5 min walk to the base, same on the way home, trains every 30mins

other hints and tips: we used the zillerthriller Roy Butterfield as a guide, we also used him in Janruary and i can't recommend him enough, the information and progression in my girlfriend and I's skiing was amazing. we tended to get up early 6.30ish and aim for the 8am gondola this got you a hour on so before the crowds arrived, found that MO's was a fun bar but we really liked the coup and more bar and the hari-kari bar, avoid the ice bar at all costs its a friggin mess in there reminded me of a bad rave festival in the rain, crazy drunk folk and it smelled of wee wee. The butchers opposite the Penken is great and the "happy end" bar is great for people watching.

Anyway thats about it, happy to answer any questions...as i said it was our 2nd trip to the hof in4/5 weeks so they must be doing something right.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, the Ziller valley has a fantastic snow/km/op/beer/friendliness/apri/£££ quotient that just keeps drawing you back in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy