Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets (I know...) – significant impact for a write-off?

Poster: A snowHead
I think I already know the answer to this, but that's not going to stop me asking!

How do you know when an impact to the head would be considered significant enough to require a replacement helmet?

My interpretation of what happened:
    • Morning but snow soft and heavy, likely man-made
    • Caught an edge which threw me onto my back
    • Skis remained attached
    • Head hit the ground in the centre, just below goggle clip
    • Bit of concussion/"loose brain" sensation, slight headache for about 20 min
    • Whiplash became apparent later on - sore neck and reduced movement for about a week
    • Huge bruises down outside of left leg, also not apparent until later

I know not all of that is head-related, but I wanted to give some indication of the force of the fall. I was not unconscious at all.

There is no visible damage to the helmet at the point of impact (as far as I can tell where that was without an indicator). The adjustment slider clip thingy has pointy edges that were clearly forced into the polystyrene on the bottom edge, leaving a dent.

The serial number inside is dated 2010, though I think it was purchased early 2011. I believe I have used it for 4 weeks skiing.
It looks like a perfectly serviceable lid, but I would prefer to have a serviceable brain Confused Would this impact be considered "significant"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd replace it after a whack hard enough for a 'Bit of concussion/"loose brain"'
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'd replace it after a whack hard enough for a 'Bit of concussion/"loose brain"'

so would I. Sounds like it was a good job you were wearing it - give it a pat on the head and retire it.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, it's toast.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with the others, even for a multiple impact foam like EPP an impact like that is killer stuff for me.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Waiting for the "this wouldn't have happened if you were not weaing a helmet post"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Before you do go and throw it away, let me add a slightly different view...

Have a close look where it took the impact. If there is any obvious cracking, stressing or deformation then it's time for a new helmet.
If nothing is obvious, gently but firmly press the area on the shell and see if there is any flex - this suggests that the inner core has compressed and there is a void under the shell, and its time for a new helmet.
Tap the area with your fingernail and listen to the sound, check the surrounding area the same way and see if the sound changes - if it does then there could be a void or the core has detatched from the shell. If its a different sound, then you should be looking for a new helmet.
Look inside, take out any internal liner and look at the polystyrene core, is there any obvious damage or cracks in the structure? If there is then guess what... new helmet.
Check the points where the strap is attached, if there is any damage there, then it's a write-off.

If theres none of the above, you can possibly consider keeping it if, for example, it's a good quality helmet, like a Sweet or POC or something of similar spec, but then again if you've only spent £30 or similar on it then maybe you'd want a new one for peace of mind.

Just a thought.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
..although there could be cracks in the polystyrene, under the shell, but which are not visible from inside.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most replies as I expected, thanks. I won't be heading out again this season, so no rush to replace, though I'll keep an eye out in the sales. It's a Salomon, cost around £70. I'll probably just get the same one again as it seems I have a tiny head when it come to helmets and this was the only one in several shops that would adjust small enough.

Richard_Sideways, "no" to all of your questions, though I know that doesn't put it in the clear. I took some pictures, mostly because I find this sort of stuff interesting and there are bound to be other nerds out there... I'll have a go at posting them up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are going to junk the helmet, it'd be interesting to cut a section out of it, crossing through where it was hit to see if there is damage to either the poly, the shell or the bonding between the two.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a closer look in daylight, and though the information in the OP still stands, I did notice some other irregularities, which I have photographed.

Other dents may have been from unrelated encounters with chairlifts, buses etc.

I noticed a gap in the polystyrene next to where the screw is for the goggle clip. I don't know if this is a "feature" or damage from the fall. It is about 1x8mm.

There is a slight raise in the moulding at both sides. I don't know if it was always like this, or a result of compression from an impact. Anyone else have a similar model?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The irregularity in moulding looks like the killer, probably one to bin on that basis. None of the rest of it would concern me.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The small dings aren't really an issue but that final picture is very interesting. The irregularity is at 90 degrees to the estimated point of impact and at around the 'fold' point (i.e. if you were trying to crush the helmet between your hands by putting one on the back and one on the front. Look at the plastic shell where it turns above the ear - about where the bottom of the oval is you've drawn on the picture - looks a bit like the plastic mounding has blown out from the lip, suggesting that perhaps there is a problem in the helmet following that irregularity.

Does it sound a little hollow underneath if you tap on it with a fingernail?

I now think I concur with Mistress Panda.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, Mistress Panda, this is something I hadn't noticed until I went to take the photos by the window, but yeah, it is exactly in the centre if you hold it front and back. It is very slight and only visible held to the light at a certain angle. Identical on both sides though. It doesn't sound hollow to me.
Quote:

Look at the plastic shell where it turns above the ear - about where the bottom of the oval is you've drawn on the picture - looks a bit like the plastic mounding has blown out from the lip, suggesting that perhaps there is a problem in the helmet following that irregularity.

No, that's just the photo. There is some unevenness in the moulding around the edge, but that is just the way it has been manufactured. The seal is secure.

Maybe I'll pass it on to a friend of mine who is a test engineer. I'm sure she's got some interesting equipment to abuse it with.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That would be interesting. My wife has a similar if not identical model. I'll check it to see it its actually a feature.
snow conditions
Could try giving the helmet a really hard squeeze 'front to back'. Should feel rock solid with no give at all - if there is any flex then, as Richard Sideways suggests, its one for the bin.
snow report
Bin it. You only have one head and brain
latest report
Ski helmets are like motorcycle helmets, and even car seat belts - if you use them you should replace them.

Simple rule is if it makes you go "Oof!" you've used it and taken some of the protection out of it you might need next time you use it.
snow conditions
id be interested to know of those saying bin it, how many own a helmet more than 3yrs old.
ski holidays
hobbiteater, indeed. I dare say that most helmets that have seen more than a week or two on the slopes will have seen some kind of impact, and unless there are clear signs of damage, the significance will be open to interpretation.
snow conditions
A lot of the single impact = bin stuff comes from the certificate testing, which only requires a single impact test. Some manufacturers do rate their helmets for multiple minor impacts but any damage is going to reduce the effectiveness in a serious crunch. In Scarlets case, if those deformations on the side are as a result of the strike to the back and the poly has cracked underneath the shell then were she to fall to the side next, the helmets effectiveness would be severely impared, however if the poly is intact then it'll probably be fine.
ski holidays
Scarlet, i was more pointing to the fact that manufacturers life these items, around the 3 year mark. it seems to me that the peeps saying bin it if it is knocked whatever the condition probably havent discarded their helmets after the life limit expires.

I'm suggesting that an inspection be performed and its suitability for continued use be based on that. They are after all fish and chip shop trays encased in melted down lego, im not saying they dont work (and i do wear one) just thats its hardly cutting edge technology no matter what the manufacturers would like us to think.
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
...however if the poly is intact then it'll probably be fine.

If you're in the wear-a-helmet-it's-safer camp do you really want one that's probably safe or that you know is safe though...

NOTE: Just a comment and not to be read as a personal attack on Richard_Sideways or his opinions! Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy