Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
But to get to the point

Telemarking is about fun, friendship (even with ABC) and Llama wool hats.

There is no point.

See this article which I attempted to plagiarise (badly)
http://www.telemarktips.com/AlpTouring1.html
Quote:
Mr. McLean:

Coke versus Pepsi. PC versus Mac. AT versus Tele. With so many tough choices in the world today and stakes ranging from control to soul, it is time for a “fair and balanced” comparison on the two leading contenders of backcountry binding ideology, Alpine Touring (AT) versus Telemark.

Traditionally, backcountry skiing in the United States has been synonymous with telemark equipment and all that it entails. Is this a legacy of confusing cross-country roots with backcountry routes, or an evil plot? In any case, if you are considering getting into the backcountry, there are some important choices to be made concerning truth, justice and choosing the right system.

The Basics: Alpine Touring bindings have both front and back components just like bicycles have front and back tires. This revolutionary concept allows greater speed, performance and control. Tele bindings on the other hand are more akin to a unicycle with only one point of contact. The comic improbability of riding a unicycle or telemark skiing is a common bond between circus clowns and tele skiers, as is performing in public with farm animals.

Mr. McLean on the AT advantage:

Telemark binding designs were first sketched centuries ago on cave walls by Neanderthals. In a tribute to tradition, little has changed since then in both the design and the designers. AT bindings came afterwards, and like the invention of the wheel, something that is so perfectly conceived from the beginning that it can only be refined, not reinvented.

The primary advantage of AT is that it's all about skiing, touring, safety, efficiency and fun. Nothing very complicated or involved, just the basics. Telemarking is more of a religious cult or a reality TV series about dysfunctional rock star families, most of which doesn't makes sense to the casual viewer. Why would you want less control, more weight and unreliability? Because in the thighs of the beholder, telemarking has its own special beauty, like running a 100m sprint in high heel pumps.

Mr. McLean on additional AT advantages:

Weight:

Published weight for Alpine Touring bindings are stated in grams and ounces, whereas tele bindings use pounds and should consider going to tons. It is one of the engineering marvels of the world how a tele binding with half the function and parts of an AT binding can weigh over twice as much.

Safety:

Both bindings have built in safety mechanisms. AT binding use a mechanical system of springs and cams to release the skier at a predetermined load. Tele bindings stick with their organic roots by using your ACL as a biological release mechanism. The AT system is reset by stepping back into it, and the tele system is reset by stepping into an emergency room.

Functionality:

A touring binding must go up as well as down. For years, telemark binding designers have struggled to find a balance between having freedom on the uphill and control on the downhill. The result is a nearly perfect division of performance: the uphill inefficiency is equal to downhill instability.

Tele bindings may have less control, but at least they require more effort. AT bindings on the other hand took the cheaters way out by incorporating and optimizing two separate modes – skiing and climbing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TelemarkTips is dead:

http://www.earnyourturns.com/18701/telemarktips-com-1998-2013-rip/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
altis, I am crying Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was getting a bit grumpy . . . And coming from me, that's high praise wink

really sad to see it go, I hope it remains a searchable source.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is this the best tele video? (or at least some of the best turns)?

Talented: Ludo, serial telemarker from Montaz-Rosset Studio
http://vimeo.com/18511805
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another greath video:

http://tu.tv/videos/telemark-galindash
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Someone in the previous page completely screwed up the width of the thread with gigantic pictures, so it's impossible to quote a specific post to respond to.

So the "point" is entirely lost on the thread from here on wink rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, excellent, there is no point of any of it.

which is why I ski I think. Rest of life is so fussed up with points ands ifs ands buts and utter tedium (and stress) that; skiing, telemarking, bike touring, with my friends and family is, in itself, the point.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, today i attended my first Kramelet.
At least i did the skiing bit, but missed out the Party coz completely knackered.
Had two 2 hour lessons earlier in the week: can just about turn on green slopes, but not very stable on blue runs.
Starting Telemarking reminds you of all the panic and terror of those early days learning alpine skiing.
I very nearly gave up after the first lesson: the whole thing seemed completely pointless and i felt a right nidiot.
Then sometime in the second lesson something clicked, and I found myself doing telemark turns with a huge grin on my face.
Telemarking?
Completely pointless. But great fun. And looks so good when you get it right.

http://youtube.com/v/XMsc8ESUpX0
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, now you have to learn to tele switch . . . Oh god I hurt so much Sad
but have linked four turns so far snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm Tele switch, wonder if Spyderjon can fit quiverkillers for tele bindings on my storm rages?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, teleswitch? Wozzat?
Is it when you decide transvestite is the way to go?

Fancy dress parade at yesterday's Kramelet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim, switch, what my kids say skiing backwards is called.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt wrote:
Hmm Tele switch, wonder if Spyderjon can fit quiverkillers for tele bindings on my storm rages?

I've done loads of that kind of installation - mostly for all the Midland Telemark Club members. And if you're really keen just go straight to NTN's Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Still playing on the Mantras+NTN freedoms . . . Can barely walk for the wee stiffy I've had for a week Twisted Evil Obviously with so much blood collected so near my brain's location I do have some memories to refer to and will post a review soon. Suffice to say it'll not be a bad one. Ran the NASTAR GS gates in Alpine and could push so hard I thought my heels were cclipped in . . . Inner tip lead? You can't handle inner tip lead! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Will be a member of Midlands Telemark soon, have got some cheap Rossi Rebels with Rotterfella cable bindings at the mo but keeping an eye out for those very rare secondhand NTN bindings to stick on the Rages. Fingers crossed the QKs will fit round the ones already in there for the Vists.
snow conditions
I had a go at Tele after watching many of the Manchester cross country ski club cruising down the slope at the Chillfactore.

I loved how graceful and effortless it looked so plucked up the courage to ask one of the members about the skis and bindings etc.

They then mentioned about the telemark specific sessions available at the Chillfactor and asked me to give it a go. The cost was brilliant value at £17.50 for 1 and half hours one on one tuition with equipment included! The sessions run fortnightly on a Saturday with the next session on 5th April. I understand they have also bought new Tele gear for use at the Chillfactor also.

I love it and when you nail a Telemark turn if feels amazing. I mainly Alpine ski but recently purchased a full cable binding set up for £350! 22 design hammerhead bindings on a Fischer Watea ski and Scarpa T1 boots. Will eventually move up to an NTN set up but to progress and learn the discipline I find this fine for now.

I also love the physical element of Tele skiing. After an hour and a half of alpine skiing I feel relatively fresh, especially indoors. After an hour and a half of Tele skiing, you really feel it! I also find doing some Tele skiing has improved my alpine skiing.

I recommend anyone to give this a go and try something new. Little Angel
ski holidays
I've got Mantras and Hammerheads. Awesome set up and difficult to fall on. Absolutely brilliant this weekend on the spring snow at Glenshee. Only slight issue is during quick lead changes. Because the Mantras are SO wide I have to remember to widen my stance slightly to avoid catching the shovel like tips. Otherwise its all good Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy