Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nearly had first serious smash up!

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,
So i was up the Hintertux Gletscher last week and i was coming down a red run which is intersected by an flattish approach to a lift, the kinda section where most people get into the tuck and just flatline it to the lift - so lots of crosstown traffic going on. About 20 mins before id dropped a pole on a chair lift, so im afraid to say i was mulling over my options and wasnt really concentrating as i should be when it hit the intersection - and very nearly had a serious crash. Id say we were both doing 25km/h...not much by itself but smashing together? Bleurggh. Could have been nasty :/
Im interested to hear any such experiences youve had - near misses or otherwise. And im curious about what followed, whether it was a good natured mutual acceptance of responsibility, or if things got a bit more feisty! I found quite a lot of clips on YT and its interesting to see the different reactions - the majority are pretty unpleasant with punches being thrown etc...most from the US, but im sure it goes on in Europe as well....
So, over to you!
Cheers
Shiva_71
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shiva_71, Glad you escaped unscathed! I broke my pelvis last year in a crash with a Frenchman in a similar place though neither of us was doing any great speed. I was "carrying my way" uphill to a lift and he was coming downhill to a lift which was behind me (ie I'd already passed it). He twisted a knee but was able to ski off - though not without waiting to see how I was, he was a nice guy and very concerned. He wanted to help me up but having tried to get up, I knew something was wrong. It didn't just hurt - it seemed completely impossible. He said he'd had to swerve to avoid somebody and then was heading straight for me. He was just suddenly there, inches away. Crash!

It was more his fault than mine, I think, as his sensible route round to that lift would have been further out from the entrance of the lift I was aiming for, and he did a very sudden swerve. But I felt I contributed as I could have slowed down earlier and just walked the last few metres up to the lift, without great hardship. There were no queues - we were just skiing straight to the gates. We both turned rapidly to avoid the collision - but turned into each other, unfortunately and I was flung very heavily to the ground.

The moral is to go slower as you approach a lift. wink It doesn't actually do us any harm to lose a few seconds walking or skating a few yards does it?

I was very lucky - a straightforward fracture, no treatment needed beyond painkillers and crutches. Healed fast.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam glad you weren't too badly hurt...it would be interesting to see some stats; id guess a large percentage of collisions happen near entrances to lifts - i guess the signs are there for a reason!
On a broader point, and i dont wanna sound pessimistic but i worry about the future of skiing with ever increasing numbers of people flying around the piste. If indeed the climate is warming up, sub 2k m resorts will be abandoned for higher ones and so on; more and more people cramming into fewer and fewer resorts - and that is a very worrying prospect indeed Sad
And thats why im seriously considering instead of a ski hol next year im gonna spend the money on getting kitted out for ski touring gear and get a bit of peace and solitude up in them beautiful mountains Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

im seriously considering instead of a ski hol next year im gonna spend the money on getting kitted out for ski touring gear and get a bit of peace and solitude up in them beautiful mountains

I'm getting into cross-country skiing - spent all New Year week doing that, as the resort was so crowded. I'm too old to take up serious touring, but if I were younger...... though I don't think touring solo is a good idea.

However, I'm not sure that you're right about slopes getting more and more crowded. Hope not, anyway.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know, i mean i haven't counted them personally (!) but i just assumed the numbers are increasing. It's a business after all, and i'd guess the resort management are doing everything to increase their business and margins. Thinking about it though, I live here in Austria and i've noticed that more and more people are saying they cant be bothered any more due to the crowds and costs...time will tell i guess...but i hope I'm wrong too!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"Nearly"... FFS... Rule 5 and get on with life.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
allanm, Rule 5? Care to enlighten me?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shiva_71, it's a reference to http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93341
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've never had a collision. Bro in law skis like a d1ck and has had plenty. He always thinks it is the other persons fault. It is usually his, so after telling him endless times to wise up I no longer ski with him. Look ahead, look around and listen when it is busy.

On our first week, we were in ski school in a beginners area. Slow signs everywhere. Person in Batman suit came skiing through flat out, jumped the magic carpet, failed to land and took out a line of small children. Our instructor skied over, checked all the kids were OK, took Batman's lift pass and punched him in the teeth. I thought it was a bit harsh, but instructor informed me that he had been warned several times about his skiing. Fair result. The funny bit was, it was in Arinsal. You need your lift pass to get back down to the village Laughing Laughing

In Killington they have 'mountain ambassadors' everywhere. They seem to show up a couple of seconds after any collision and give assistance and advice as necessary. They will remove ski passes very quickly. They will also ski with you and give you a few hints and tips.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
allanm, shiva_71, seems to me rule 5 of the marine collision regulations should also apply on the slopes - "keep a good lookout at all times by all available means" Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

keep a good lookout at all times by all available means

and don't assume those coming towards you are going to hold their course - if I'd been a bit slower I might have been able to avoid the guy who swerved into me and, if not, the impact would have been less.

allanm, it's surely worth considering, after a "near miss", what went wrong and how to avoid it next time? A lesson learnt.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eng_ch wrote:
allanm, shiva_71, seems to me rule 5 of the marine collision regulations should also apply on the slopes - "keep a good lookout at all times by all available means" Smile

What we need is the skiers equivalent of this fine reference. Reviews are worth reading http://www.amazon.com/Avoid-Huge-Ships-John-Trimmer/product-reviews/0870334336?tag=amz07b-21

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AIS?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, I'd feel like a bit of a plonker shouting 'starboard' on the slopes...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's the ones spinning around on their back like a demented dying mutant ninja turtle that you really have to look out for. Been known to plough people down at the side of the piste by taking them away at the knees.
snow conditions
DB, I am sure Scarpa will be along shortly to make his case wink
latest report
kooky,
Scarpa will need a better defense team than OJ Simpson.
latest report
DB, kooky, photos, please!
snow report
Pedantica,
I got there a bit late (story of my life). Just skied over the brow of the hill to see everybody on the deck (Scarpa, kooky, bloke at side of piste who was by this time embraced with Scarpa) - thought they were a bunch of snowboarders at first. kooky or Scarpa will have to talk you through it
latest report
DB,
Quote:

thought they were a bunch of snowboarders at first

Shocked Laughing
snow conditions
Neraida wrote:
eng_ch, I'd feel like a bit of a plonker shouting 'starboard' on the slopes...

Just give 5 short blasts Wink
snow report
eng_ch, Luffed by a snowboarder rolling eyes Whatever next..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy