Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Niege

Poster: A snowHead
When I get my ski pass, do i just ask for it to be added on. How much is it likely to be? I will be skiing in Grand Massiff.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ask for your pass 'avec assurance'. It's around 2€ a day in Serre che, should be similar elsewhere.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells, thanks. Is it officially called "Carte Niege" though?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, It's Carré Neige. Won't be more than 3 euros a day.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. What exactly does it cover. Extraction off the mountain in the event of an accident? Any other benefits to it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder, refund of ski pass if you are injured and unable to ski, cost of doctor's visit which isn't free in France, and anything else not covered by French healthcare system. http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/forfait-ski-en-winter-3-11-1.htm explains.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
make sure you also have your EhIC .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah. Hells Bells, +1
I've not used it, but I think I would in the future as it's probably the most recognised insurance and is a little cheaper than other ski specific insurance policies.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells, EhIC? What's that? I will be getting the insurance with the pass anyway.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Hells Bells, EhIC? What's that? I will be getting the insurance with the pass anyway.

Previously known as an E111 form but now in card form and shows you are entitled the health care.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
adithorp, I didn't think they existed anymore! Not had one for years. Oops.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can apply online for one. Careful not to pay for it through an agency. They often advertise. It's free through govt website. Just need your NI number and you're good to go.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neraida, done. Thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've not used it, but I think I would in the future as it's probably the most recognised insurance and is a little cheaper than other ski specific insurance policies.

I'm sure that you know already but remember that carre neige is designed for ski accidents and it isn't a general holiday insurance. So, eg, if you had a serious accident it wouldn't cover repatriation. Things like medical emergencies not related to an accident wouldn't be covered either but are covered by travel insurance.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snow and Sunshine, I thought it covered you for medical reptriation with europ assistance in case of a skiing accident.

Section 9 from http://www.carreneige.com/accueil.en.html

9 – Does Carré Neige cover medical repatriation services ?

Yes, if you live in a European country, with Carré Neige you can benefit from medical repatriation via Europ Assistance to your place of fiscal residence without the need for advance payment.

* Geographic Europe

I don't know of anybody who has had to use it though.
latest report
I've always bought Snowcard. One claim, handled fine.

More recently I've read here that if you don't buy cover with your lift pass, you are liable to find yourself bumping down on a blood wagon instead of riding a helicopter, even if Snowcard would cover it. Since I don't like pain, in future, for 3 euros a day, I'm going to buy cover on my list pass.

My question is - does anybody understand the limits of what that provides? Resort is Espace Killy, if that makes a difference. Do I need Snowcard too? FWIW, for a non-skiing holiday in Europe, I wouldn't bother with travel insurance. If I really needed repatriation for a non-skiing incident, I can afford to pay for it.
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, I would buy the Carré Neige because it's cheap and they don't quibble with it for rescue and repratriation. My annual post office insurance policy covers the rest (inc summer holidays etc..They replaced the cost of a new expensive SLR, after someone stole mine from the back of my chair in a restaurant in Greece without even a receipt).
snow conditions
Quote:

I've read here that if you don't buy cover with your lift pass, you are liable to find yourself bumping down on a blood wagon instead of riding a helicopter, even if Snowcard would cover it.

I don't think that's true; you get a fair few horror stories. The decision whether to call a helicopter or not is up to the pisteurs who come to your rescue (and sometimes, a helicopter is not immediately available). Any decent ski insurance will cover a helicopter if it's deemed necessary.

For details on Carte Neige/Carre Neige (depends whether it's a short holiday or a season) do a search here - there are loads of threads and some links to details.

If you don't have a UK travel insurance which covers the sort of skiing you're doing (ie number of days, off piste, etc etc etc) you could find yourself out of pocket in a number of ways but in the long term it makes sense to self-insure anyway, except maybe for the very big medical and repatriation bills. But things like getting your car home (and your family if there wasn't another drive) would be down to you, as would thefts, a close relative dying, etc etc.
latest report
Sometimes you would be taken off the slopes in a blood wagon to a place that the helicopter would be able to land - a friend of ours broke her leg on the Chamossiere about this time last year - so it was blood wagon to the bottom, helicopter to where they land outside the village, ambulance to the medical centre - that bit totalled 800 euros which was paid a couple of days later at the lift station in Morzine - my OH went with the husband to do this. I think the husband then paid cash for the ambulance to Thonon hospital - then there was the hospital bill, operation etc, ambulance to GVA, flight home taking up 3 seats, and private ambulance to their house in Hereford. All the bits from the hospital onwards were paid direct by the insurance company.

We take out an insurance (can't remember what its called but it not Carte Neige or Carre Neige) which is around 55 euros each for the season which gives us a card to wave if we need to be taken off the mountain. Then an insurance policy for medical etc through MPI. And we do make sure that our EHICs are up to date.
ski holidays
Pamski We use MPI too, for our trips to Austria. Why do you take out your additional (55 euro) insurance? MPI would cover off mountain expenses surely. Is it so that you do not have to pay for those expenses immediately?
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
if you don't buy cover with your lift pass, you are liable to find yourself bumping down on a blood wagon instead of riding a helicopter, even if Snowcard would cover it.

Even if this was likely (it is not) - the pisteurs will get you off the slopes in the most medically sensible fashion that they can - it makes no commercial sense either. They will do their job to the best of their ability whether they have determined your ability to pay or not and simply bill you thereafter.
latest report
cad99uk, its just belt and braces - we have the card from MPI with us and also the 'get you off the mountain' card - just to save any hassle. We take off cover for things like cancellation insurance for our cover from MPI as we don't need that. Its probably extravagance on our part but taken over the number of days we are here its not much a day.
ski holidays
Pamski, OK, thanks.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
dogwatch wrote:
if you don't buy cover with your lift pass, you are liable to find yourself bumping down on a blood wagon instead of riding a helicopter, even if Snowcard would cover it.

Even if this was likely (it is not) - the pisteurs will get you off the slopes in the most medically sensible fashion that they can - it makes no commercial sense either. They will do their job to the best of their ability whether they have determined your ability to pay or not and simply bill you thereafter.

The assertion made here by a number of people was that French authorities have had difficulty obtaining payment from British insurers and therefore get you off the hill as cheaply as possible.

True? I don't know.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy