Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An afternoon on the Pic du Midi.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Last Tuesday I spent a very enjoyable afternoon skiing the free ride area in Grand Tourmalet on the Pic du Midi.

I arranged a guide through [url]ecoloski.fr[/url] and meet up with Jean-Denis Prissé, who provided an excellent afternoons skiing.

We skied 2 routes –

The first one called la pierre noire – a traverse to below the cable car then onto a wide bowl full of spring snow.
We ran all the way down to the road 4 km below La Mongie.
We had to wait for a bus back up to resort, but ended up hitch hiking as the buses aren’t that regular.

Second one called the Les jardin botaniques – a good 45 degreer with a nice rock band across the exit, so definitely one of those no fall zones.
Ran out into a wide bowl where you could break out the big GS turns back to the piste above the Col du Tourmalet.

Routes we didn’t ski were the Couloir Poubelle (there’s one everywhere !), but I think a return visit is required to give that a try. Definitely, one to do with a guide as it can require a rope repel over a rock band.
Also the Classic route. This route looked fairly straight forward as you can see the piste you are aiming for, and there is little exposure and it’s not too steep.

I knocked together a short video of the afternoon.

https://vimeo.com/89169949

I would certainly recommend Grand Tourmalet for people looking to explore easily accessible off piste. Was well as the Pic du Midi there is also Le Pas de la Crabe which is a short climb through a very photogenic rock crag.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great video , it did look fun .
How secure is the snow now and what are the conditions like ? , avl risk now ? was hoping to do some off piste in the next couple of weeks but finding it hard to get snow reports , we were thinking of going to Deux alps and skiing over to La grave , any idea how we would find a guide there ?
all the best ,
Ian
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do most of my skiing in the Pyrenees, which is where the Pic du Midi is, so I can't really help with conditions or guides in the Alps.
Looking at the forum there are a few SH posters who ski a lot around La Grave who might be able to give you more localised info.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Grave guides:
http://www.guidelagrave.com/V2/en/
http://www.skierslodge.com/
The best known ones were probably booked up months ago. I just booked Philippe André for next February.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Really enjoyed that.

Looked a lot of fun.

No gloves. Hardcore.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mortonia, Thanks for posting this - looks great. Smile
Fantastic Spring conditions, especially for this year. What time of day was it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice. I hope I find spring snow like that in Easter Cool
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mortonia, Very nice Smile One to add to my list.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mortonia, nice skis Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beautiful-looking area! I'm still hoping to pay it a visit before the end of the season. The week or so of non-stop sunshine since your trip has made a dent in the snow cover in the Pyrenees, but it looks like there'll be new snowfalls and lower temperatures over the weekend and beyond.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
Really enjoyed that.
Looked a lot of fun.
No gloves. Hardcore.

It's been T-shirt weather for two weeks now; On one of the ascents I did last week, we were hiking up bare-chested Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just been in Grandvalira for 4 days, definitely t-shirt weather ! Forecast looking like another storm coming in next week, so looking good for another visit to the area.

Chamcham, Started at 12:30 and finished off around 4:30.
spyderjon, Loving the Directors
Pyremaniac, Might see you there !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy