Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Percentages and degrees.

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from La Thuile, where we finally plucked up the courage to ski black 3 (73%). We were then told by the rep that the new run - 37 - has a steeper pitch at 75%, and is the steepest piste in Europe, so we proudly did that too Very Happy

The point of this post is, how do you convert the percentage of an incline to degrees? For example, is 50% 45 degrees?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
10 ......... 5.7
20 ......... 11.3
30 ......... 16.7
40 ......... 21.8
50 ......... 26.6
60 ......... 31
70 ......... 35
80 ......... 38.7
90 ......... 42
100 ........ 45
110 ........ 47.7
120 ........ 50.2
130 ........ 52.4
140 ........ 54.5
150 ........ 56.3
160 ........ 58
170 ........ 59.5
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grades_degrees.svg
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ajpaul wrote:
.. the steepest piste in Europe

What, another one?

Harikari in Mayrofen is oft quoted as the "steepest run in Austria" at 78%

In 2009, Steinach-am-Brenner claimed Manni Pranger as "the steepest machine-prepared run in Austria" to be 102% (46 degrees) but seems to be considered off-piste on the latest piste map.

Maybe the Italians just don't consider Austria as part of Europe.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use the tangent tables.
Vertical distance divided by horizontal distance x100 = %
Thus 45º is 1/1 x100 = 100%
The Tan of an angle, as you might remember from school, is opposite side divided by adjacent side (ie tan of slope angle is vertical divided by horizontal, as above. Tan 45º = 1).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 15-03-14 12:57; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the flypaper @ glencoe beats them all
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geeo, all what? Not a 60º slope I presume.

By the way, when a resort says a piste is a certain number of degrees or a certain percentage slope they always mean the steepest part, not an average.

PS in skimottaret's post the left column is % and the right º

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 15-03-14 12:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rob W - it was a rep who said it, so yes, taken with a pinch of salt. I think she meant steepest in Italy.

Thanks for the replies folks. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm. The Tunnel at Alpe D'Huez is as steep as I ever want to go. I've been told that the opening slope is 35°. I found it possible to do under control, even when icy and mogully, but I can't say that I enjoyed it. Beyond what I would want to do, now.

[edit - typo corrected]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 15-03-14 17:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowball wrote:

Not sure what you're questioning. As there aren't any 'pistes' steeper than 45 degrees in the Alps or elsewhere in Europe (unless you're counting the headwalls of say Chancer or Spikes etc which are effectively 'ski routes'), it seems fair for geoo to say that the Flypaper trumps them all.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

just what moffatross, said
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Unless there is a large buildup of windblown snow Flypaper IS less than 45 degrees - having walked up it in summer, a quick check with 2 ski poles revealed the truth......I know very few places that are ever skied that measure more than 45 degrees (don't count less than a few meters, shouldn't count less than 10 meters)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Idris, exactly. But just while we were playing the willy-waving for Top Trumps steep pistes game, I was pointing out that the random hypothetical 60 degree 'slope' pulled out of the pack to trump geoo's Flypaper was cheating. The Flypaper is undoubtedly top trump amongst European marked black runs but it's a bit of a cheat itself because it's not groomed or even groomable. I think Hairi Kiri or whatever it's called gets its willy-waving claim for fame because it's the steepest groomed run in Europe.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm confused by all this. The drag lift "Seigneur" in flumet is supposed to be one of the steepest in France (it's long, too, and goes up 550m). It is said to have a maximum slope of 66% which is, according to the table above, 34 degrees. Most slopes - in fact all slopes around here - are a lot less steep - no competitors for "steepest in Europe". wink

However, am having difficulty relating the table above to the avalanche safety mantra that slopes below 30% rarely avalanche. Does that equate to about 58% in the table above? I rode up a section of draglift with a sign warning it was over 50% today - it looked pretty steep to me, and, translated across a slope, steep enough to avalanche. I'm sure I've seen avalanches on slopes less steep.

Or have I got this completely confused?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So how does the old British road slope measurement compare? Is, for example, a 1in 5 hill a 20% slope? Or does that system measure the road distance (ie the hypotenuse) for the denominator?
snow report
1 in 5 means 1 unit vertical per 5 units horizontal. So to convert to degrees you use arctan. atan(0.2) = 11 degrees. http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/math/Arctan_Calculator.htm
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
However, am having difficulty relating the table above to the avalanche safety mantra that slopes below 30% rarely avalanche.

That's 30 degrees, not 30%. Percent seems to be a completely daft metric (100% = 45 degrees). 50% steepness = 27 degrees according to the table at the top of this thread. So yes, 30 degrees = 60% (give or take).
latest report
pam w, the lower limit is 30 degrees:

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Avalanches/Slope-Steepness
snow report
altis, yes, that's what I thought, I just got it wrong in my post above! So a slope the steepness of my 50% drag this morning would (1t 26.6 degrees) be well below the 30 degree avalanche level. which surprises me, as it seemed quite steep!
ski holidays
pam w, there is often an element of optical illusion when looking at slopes, if you look down from the top a slope invariably looks steeper than looking up from the bottom for example.
ski holidays
pam w, of course less than 30 degrees can avalanche in unfavourable conditions. But risk is much higher for slopes greater than 30 degrees.
snow report
pam w wrote:
altis, yes, that's what I thought, I just got it wrong in my post above! So a slope the steepness of my 50% drag this morning would (1t 26.6 degrees) be well below the 30 degree avalanche level. which surprises me, as it seemed quite steep!

30% feels steep to me as well which is nice to know, it means I have a kind of inbuilt slope safety detector Smile

I think the very top of the Back Corries is the steepest slope I have skied, I think we went in at Chancers as it was pretty much above the chair, I know it wasn't the easiest way in as I was told that after I was in Smile

Anyone any idea how steep that is, I'm still to scared to ski the Flypaper anyway Embarassed
ski holidays
lynseyf, the scarp entrance at Chancer will be approaching 50 degrees, falling off to 35 degrees or less after 10 or 20 metres of vertical. The Flypaper is slightly over 40 degrees and if you can ski Chancer, it should be no problem for you at all. Pick a sunny, Spring day, with sugary snow and good coverage and it becomes a total, whoopy skoosh. Are you coming back for some Scottish turns this season ?
snow report
I always thought The White Lady to be 30 Degrees. Anyone confirm or correct this ??

Also I was quite shaken with the black from Madonna dropping into Marilleva and the one into Folgarida, similar. . Anyone got a figure for these ?
ski holidays
moffatross wrote:
snowball wrote:

Not sure what you're questioning. As there aren't any 'pistes' steeper than 45 degrees in the Alps or elsewhere in Europe (unless you're counting the headwalls of say Chancer or Spikes etc which are effectively 'ski routes'), it seems fair for geoo to say that the Flypaper trumps them all.

Oh OK, I didn't realise you were only interested in pistes. At the start of the thread I thought we were talking about any slope (60º being about the limit for skiing and thus steepest slope on the list above).
snow conditions
snowball, in the opening post in this thread, the author wrote about having been told they'd skied 'the steepest piste in Europe' and geoo just pointed out that the Flypaper had bragging rights for that.

Farley Goode wrote:
I always thought The White Lady to be 30 Degrees. Anyone confirm or correct this ??

You might be surprised, Farley Goode. Here's an excerpt from the SMC's 1987 book, 'Ski Mountaineering in Scotland' and there are some slope comparisons for the gullies alongside popular, mainstream pistes under the chapter 'Extreme Skiing in Scotland'. Some of those routes aren't really considered 'extreme' these days either, but you'll see that the White Lady was reckoned to be just 21 degrees.

snow conditions
The LaThuile +70% pistes are unusual though, in that they are regularly bashed (rather than left to mogul) and often rock hard, if not ice. I've stopped on them and tested with a pole and it didn't make an impression.
latest report
Farley Goode wrote:
and the one into Folgarida
They one underneath the main gondola out of Folgarida? That's pretty tame down almost the entire length, with just one pitch approaching what I'd consider to be a modest black.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Unless there is a large buildup of windblown snow Flypaper IS less than 45 degrees - having walked up it in summer, a quick check with 2 ski poles revealed the truth......I know very few places that are ever skied that measure more than 45 degrees (don't count less than a few meters, shouldn't count less than 10 meters

Have you tried skiing it in summer though it's pretty hard without that build up of snow wink the top is definitely more than 45 most of the time but I will check it with my transceiver next week for interest sake
snow conditions
moffatross, I fell going into the Back Corries so did the first 10m on my ass Smile 35 degrees sounds about right for the rest, pretty much at the top of my comfort zone. I think a lot of people are surprised by the steepness of what they are skiing and totally overestimate, it's a good thing to be able to estimate though as it's important to assess off piste safety.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Farley Goode wrote:
They one underneath the main gondola out of Folgarida? That's pretty tame down almost the entire length, with just one pitch approaching what I'd consider to be a modest black.
Agreed. The Marilleva one is perhaps a bit blacker. Nice runs, though, I liked them both. How steep is Tortin? That freaked me out a little. And Le Tunnel freaked me out a lot, but that was mostly on account of the icy, car-sized moguls. Skullie
snow conditions
On a windows computer you can enter the degrees symbol ( ° ) simply by ensuring NumLock is on and then, while holding down the Alt key, type 0176 on the keypad.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/insert-a-special-character-into-a-document-ascii-codes

Or just cut and paste from here Wink
snow conditions
altis, goodness, that's complicated. On my Imac you just press 0 with Alt.
latest report
Pedantica wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Farley Goode wrote:
Agreed. The Marilleva one is perhaps a bit blacker. Nice runs, though, I liked them both.
the Folgarida black is great for a high speed blast. Scott and I raced the gondola down. Big grins at the bottom Happy
latest report
rob@rar, And I seem to remember that we won Toofy Grin
snow report
In Madonna di Campiglio last year we skied a new run called pancugolo. The piste is marked at 70 degrees and has plenty of signs warning us that it was for experts only. I am an utterly pants skier and have skied blacks only occasionally and usually by mistake. Pancugolo was a doddle which makes me realise that snow conditions are infinitely more important than steepness. It hasn't lulled me into thinking I'm any good!
ski holidays
skimottaret, Very Happy
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
In Madonna di Campiglio last year we skied a new run called pancugolo. The piste is marked at 70 degrees and has plenty of signs warning us that it was for experts only. I am an utterly pants skier and have skied blacks only occasionally and usually by mistake. Pancugolo was a doddle which makes me realise that snow conditions are infinitely more important than steepness. It hasn't lulled me into thinking I'm any good!

70 percent surely not 70 degrees?
latest report
snowrider, oooops, yes that's what I meant. Embarassed
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
In Madonna di Campiglio last year we skied a new run called pancugolo. The piste is marked at 70 degrees and has plenty of signs warning us that it was for experts only.

It is my experience in Italy that all black runs, of whatever steepness, are marked as for expert skiers only. There are a couple in Gressoney thus marked which would probably not be classified as more than reds in some resorts. I always feel a little flattered when skiing on down past the sign, nonetheless.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy