Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski company will pay the fine for taking Kids out of school

Poster: A snowHead
Is this the answer to the problem of taking kids out of school?
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/13/ski-firm-mountainbase-pay-fines-parents-school-term
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brilliant, love it Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Being discussed on Radio 2 right now!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Someone had to. Great marketing ploy and is exposing the policy as being flawed. If they are serious the fine would have to be for £500 minimum I would say.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a fair amount of sympathy for the idea. They could also do it by discounting the cost of the holidays by the fine amounts and then it wouldn't be seen like paying the fine.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 14-03-14 14:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Problem is I think the penalties go up year on year and can eventually include Jail. Doubt they can provide a "get out of jail card" .

Surely there must be some way of allowing some flexibility
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do keep up

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109428#2501413

wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jake43, I was watching something the other day and apparently the second time it happens the fine is £1000+
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think it depends on the Authority

Quote:

Surely there must be some way of allowing some flexibility

Yep - go back to the old system!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris wrote:
Do keep up

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109428#2501413

wink
I was surprised no one had started a thread and there you go imbedding it inside someone else...... so much for me looking for one. Doh Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jake43, Well it was cunningly hidden - nothing wrong with a new thread
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jake43 wrote:
Is this the answer to the problem of taking kids out of school?
http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/mar/13/ski-firm-mountainbase-pay-fines-parents-school-term

Nice way to find themselves on a conspiracy or incitement charge. Dimwits.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Nice way to find themselves on a conspiracy or incitement charge. Dimwits.

I wondered about that. How about "Firm selling fast cars will pay speeding fines"?

It's a silly gimmick - esssentially just a discount off the holiday price, as megamum suggests - hardly the first time that an incentive is offered for buying a package outside school holiday weeks.

Education authorities are, I understand, required to produce a document setting out their policy on unauthorised absence. To find out the details for your area, google "Code of Conduct Penalty Notices in respect of Unauthorised Absence from School [hampshire or relevant education authority]"

Armed with that, rather than the latest story from the Daily Mail, you can then have an informed discussion. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It's a silly gimmick - esssentially just a discount off the holiday price, as megamum suggests - hardly the first time that an incentive is offered for buying a package outside school holiday weeks.

Well as holidays outside school hols are already cheaper surely it is an extra discount and to a known amount to cover a fine (on a first offence any way).

The only way they can get the prices sensible, in a supply and demand situation where everyone wants the same 2 weeks in a year, followed by a further 3 weeks at Easter, when the season is a full 15weeks [excluding Christmas/NY] is to spread out demand. Which suggests going back to some flexibility from the school.

When mine was at school I tried to get them to give us 2 weeks half term breaks and cut down the summer hols, but no joy. At least that would spread the weeks a little more; October too.

Funny that the school Ski trip was in term time so that they could get enough Teachers to go on it Shocked

Note if the peaks were ironed out more, more people would go and hence higher overall occupancy hence cheaper for all in long run. Instead of the crazy time now where TO make money in only a few weeks of a season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Split the country into maybe four regions and spread the HT week over a period of a month. Other term times could be adjusted accordingly. It would help the UK tourist industry also, by extending the season and make it more difficult for TOs and Centre Parcs to load HT weeks.
snow conditions
Quote:

make it more difficult for TOs and Centre Parcs to load HT weeks

i would expect the 'new' half term and extended summer weeks would go up in price much more than the existing 'peak' weeks would go down.
latest report
sunnbuel wrote:
Quote:

i would expect the 'new' half term and extended summer weeks would go up in price much more than the existing 'peak' weeks would go down.

Well it depends on if there was more in total then going - which would only happen if the prices were lower overall.
snow report
you can't blame the holiday companies, they need to stay in business, so by 'unloading' the HT weeks, all that will happen is that all the other weeks will have to go up in price. Despite what people think, the travel industry is a highly competative, very very thin margined industry. Nobody is swimming in cash.
BUT spreading the load over 3 or 4 weeks is a no brainer, and will certainly have a beneficial effect all around. I suspect the teachers union will whinge about it though.
snow report
Jake43 wrote:
Instead of the crazy time now where TO make money in only a few weeks of a season.

Not actually true. Resorts are far from empty outside school holidays.
ski holidays
sunnbuel wrote:
Quote:

Possibly, to a degree, but it wouldnt spike as it does now.
ski holidays
Quote:

it wouldnt spike as it does now

it does in France, where their half terms are spread over 4 weeks - apartment rental and hotel costs are sky high for the whole 4 weeks, then drop dramatically.

The answer to half term problems, for me, is not to go then. Christmas is much cheaper and less crowded - snow is not so sure, but there is spare capacity so you can afford to book late when you know how it's going. And most years Easter is good too - and can also be booked late.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy