Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

NZ Mount Hutt season with EA Ski & Snowboard

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Just doing a little asking on behalf of eldest Public Enemy who is off to work on nights. He is in middle of gap year, and now, having worked since July in the NHS is contemplating what to do with the time he has left before uni in September.

One option he is looking at is going to NZ with the above company on an internship (1 week orientation in Christchurch, 3 weeks to do his NZSIA L1 and then guaranteed work min 5 days a week until the end of the season on Mt Hutt). Fly out early June and back Sept.

He is keen to do a season and realistically the Southern Hemisphere is his only option as he is doing a 5 yr course. The ski instructor course, for him, is seen as a means to work on the mountain and at this point, not looking to use it beyond holiday work (not planning to teach in France for instance wink )

Has anyone experience of this? He is aware that his time to see much of NZ apart from Christchurch will be limited.
What is Methven like as a town to live in, après? His accommodation will be provided for the course but then would have to find a room, I guess he could get together with some of the others.

Any idea of the cost of living locally?

TIA snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Methven is OK, but not a patch on Queenstown or Wanaka. It's quite a long drive up to Mt Hutt from town. The mountain is pretty decent though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Methven is basically a small rural town built around a crossroads. One side of the crossroads is The Blue Pub, the other side is The Brown Pub. The latter is a little more agricultural (has a good meat raffle). Both are good country pubs. There's also the Last Post restaurant bar which is well worth a look and AQUA a friendly little Japanese restaurant. I liked Methven, but it is pretty quiet in a friendly sort of way. There was a crowd of British and other seasonaires who gathered at The Last Post last time I was there. Mt Hutt is also small, but there's a lot of fun to be squeezed out of it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both, will feedback and I'm sure he will have some more questions Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've spent time in Christchurch and Mt Hutt (summer). Christchurch has a lot going on, MH is small.

My kids were in Australia just before Christmas, they were shocked at the cost of stuff when converted back to sterling. The NZD usually follows pretty closely. If your lad is being paid in NZD, it may not be a concern.

Look thoroughly into those NZ qualifications. Our eldest is BASI L2 SB, she works with a couple of NZ qualified girls and I think that I heard her say that the NZ qualification doesn't match up to BASI in Europe. I cant remember why.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy