Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Alpe d'Huez, please!

Poster: A snowHead
So since the flab died earlier this week we jumped on the suggestion by admin to go to ADH. Got a top deal at £560 all in but don't know this resort at all. Any tips and suggestions. We are boarders who like piste and off-piste and park. Couldn't find a park on the piste maps online but I had heard there was one. Also, is it worth going over to L2A?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, there is a park with rails, boxes and kickers big and small. No idea about L2A, but do try the slopes down to Vaujany, loads of people don't, and I think they are missing a trick. We are back to ADH for the third time this season in a few weeks time. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there is serious off piste but guide needed. Vaujany slopes hold snow well. There is a park. I think you will find enough to do without the need for a trip to L2A.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of good offpiste but make sure you scope it out carefully. there are lots of inviting looking snow fields next to pistes that end in a cliff - particularly awkward for snowboarders who can't sidestep back up the hill
the central bowl above ADH is always the busiest; the Vaujany sector is great (and has some really good off piste routes from the Dome des Rousses lift) and holds snow well. Auris is also good, relatively quiet and has easily accessible off piste. It gets hit hard by the sun though so may be getting a bit bare if the warm dry conditions continue
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there is Feb and, compared to some of the bigger domains (3V, Espace Killy etc.), I would say that there were fewer parks & border-cross etc. (Though we all ski rather than board). There is a bit at the top of the Jeux lift, with some jumps and rails, and slightly to the left of this (on the map) was a small border-cross.

That said, as a resort that none of us had ever visited before, we were generally pleasantly surprised at the range of runs and a good time was had by all.

We stayed in the Bergers area and it was fine (We'd wanted to be in the main part but the original apartment owner let us down ;-(

If you need any help with specifics ask away as its still (relatively) fresh in my head.

LR
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you like scary blacks, go and do the Tunnel!

I've not been there for many many years but I loved the skiing there as an early intermediate. The runs back to resort get VERY slushy in late season though as they get the full sun all day.

Don't bother with LDA.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all. That's the boarding sorted, time for apres! Any suggestions?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be there from the 5th April; Hopefully there will be some snow left!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scooby_simon, We are there next week, will let you know how we get on. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
HoneyBunny wrote:
Don't bother with LDA.

I have just come back from a week in LDA and apart from being a bit on the small side for a full week (we did every run in the first few days), I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the ghastly green run back to the town which I will chew by own legs off before I go down it again), especially the blacks which were generally very empty. You get a day in LDA (maybe 2??) included in the AH pass so why not pop over for the day.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gainz, not sure what week you are going, but if it'a 22-29 Mar, this might be of interest to you :

http://www.europeangayskiweek.com/
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eblunt, lol thank crunchie I'm going the week before!

scooby_simon, I'll update you on the snow while I'm out there.

thecramps, If you're around 15th - 22nd let me know
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

apart from being a bit on the small side for a full wee

I was going to dispute your 'small' claim, but apparently it is a lot smaller than stated:

Quote:

Alpe-d’Huez is a big-league resort, with impressively extensive and varied slopes. It offers many long runs, with big verticals. But its claim of 250km of pistes is an exaggeration. The lift company has told us that it adds around 25% to its fall-line piste lengths, to allow for your turns. The Schrahe report, discussed in our piste extent feature, puts the total at 176km, which points to an addition of more like 40%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/alpe-dhuez/6760489/Alpe-dHuez-piste-guide.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kat.ryb wrote:
Quote:

apart from being a bit on the small side for a full wee

I was going to dispute your 'small' claim, but apparently it is a lot smaller than stated:

Quote:

Alpe-d’Huez is a big-league resort, with impressively extensive and varied slopes. It offers many long runs, with big verticals. But its claim of 250km of pistes is an exaggeration. The lift company has told us that it adds around 25% to its fall-line piste lengths, to allow for your turns. The Schrahe report, discussed in our piste extent feature, puts the total at 176km, which points to an addition of more like 40%.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/france/alpe-dhuez/6760489/Alpe-dHuez-piste-guide.html

Errrm Posi was talking about LDA (les deux alpes) not Alpe d'Huez in his post anyhow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Posidrive wrote:
HoneyBunny wrote:
Don't bother with LDA.

I have just come back from a week in LDA and apart from being a bit on the small side for a full week (we did every run in the first few days), I thoroughly enjoyed it (except for the ghastly green run back to the town which I will chew by own legs off before I go down it again), especially the blacks which were generally very empty. You get a day in LDA (maybe 2??) included in the AH pass so why not pop over for the day.

We took the 5 minute helicopter flight from Alpe D'huez to L2A for 70 Euros return, a great experience and you don't have to ski down the scary green.
It was a special day travelling by helicopter, gondola, chair lift, funicular, drag lift & skis. A blue sky day, the view from the top of the glazier was worth the money alone.
snow report
Posidrive, yes, the famous green back to resort in LDA. It is horrendous. I love LDA but that piste is horrible. I used to unload on the village chair
ski holidays
Lechbob, exellent definitely doing that. Where do we get it from?

Had a great afternoon in ADH piste holding up well. Hasn't snowed in about 8 days so off piste is sadly crap. Expecting snow during the week fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Gainz, We stayed in a Neilsons chalet in the Les Bergers area, the Altiport was just below us. If you are with a T.O. they should book it for you. You need to book, to be sure, we just went on spec & was lucky, you can book it at the Altiport directly or on the phone. The helicopter is part of the rescue service, they keep it occupied otherwise ferrying back & forth from ADH to LDA. Try & pick a fine day as the view from the top is something else & was the highlight of our week. They drop you off and pick you up half way up the mountain which is a privilege as heli skiing is not generally allowed in France.
latest report
After trying for a couple of days to book we finally got through today but the heli was full. Gutted! We had to book the bus like regular folk. What a faff that was. Nobody seems to give any straight answers. We managed to book tickets tonight so heading there tomorrow. Excited again as ADH is all but done now we even done the famous tunnel. Oh and its HOT here. Did I say it was roasting hot here?
ski holidays
Gainz, how was the Tunnel?
snow conditions
dobby, Le Tunnel wasn't any fun at all. After getting through the tunnel using the rope we had a little hike up to where we could strap up. I boarded down very hesitantly in all honestly as I just couldn't get any rhythm going. The moguls were huge and some at least 3 foot high. The problem was they were so irregular and often the underside of them wes a mini drop of a foot or even 2. After the steepest part it flattened out a bit but still enough moguls to spoil a fluid run.

Anyway back now in London and I miss the mountain already. L2A was good fun and alot cooler. Runs were long and pretty even so we pretty much bombed around the whole day. Covered about 75% of the resort in the day. I managed a top speed of 49.8mph on the GPS. We heard that they are linking the two resorts by 2017 which would be good for the area as L2A offers something a little different. Had a great week and would love to go back to ADH when they get a decent dump of snow as the off-piste looked amazing.
latest report
Gainz, Sorry mate, we didn't see your post or we would have happily met up. Hope your week was as good as ours. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Gainz wrote:
dobby, Le Tunnel wasn't any fun at all. After getting through the tunnel using the rope we had a little hike up to where we could strap up. I boarded down very hesitantly in all honestly as I just couldn't get any rhythm going. The moguls were huge and some at least 3 foot high. The problem was they were so irregular and often the underside of them wes a mini drop of a foot or even 2. After the steepest part it flattened out a bit but still enough moguls to spoil a fluid run.

Anyway back now in London and I miss the mountain already. L2A was good fun and alot cooler. Runs were long and pretty even so we pretty much bombed around the whole day. Covered about 75% of the resort in the day. I managed a top speed of 49.8mph on the GPS. We heard that they are linking the two resorts by 2017 which would be good for the area as L2A offers something a little different. Had a great week and would love to go back to ADH when they get a decent dump of snow as the off-piste looked amazing.

I'm a fairly confident skier and I've always found an excuse to go down sraenne than do the tunnel. IF the bumps were only 3 foot I think you were lucky.
ski holidays
I always cut hard right off the Tunnel piste at the earliest opportunity. It's a little steeper and there are some cliffs at the bottom (not big ones Madeye-Smiley ) but the snow quality is usually miles better
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy