Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski recommendation for a female friend

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dunno if anyone can advise.

I've been asked by a friend to advise her on skis as she wants to buy a pair and stick with them.

I have enough time working out what to buy myself but said I'd ask others who might know better.

She's 5ft10in tall and approx 11st, is a nervous intermediate who does not want to ski quickly or go off piste (and never will).

She's female (obviously) - I don't know if this makes any odds but I know lots of skis are marketed at women.

Anyone able to advise on a good forgiving ski for a person like that?

Ta in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it doesn't sound like she will be that fussy about what she skis so I would just look for something that you get a good deal on. She is tall enough not to have to worry about women's specific skis. I would look for something around 165cm that is marketed at Intermediate skiers, there will be loads of skis like this from all the brands so unless she wanted to demo there seems no point in picking one over another so you are probably as well getting as good a deal in the sales as you can.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have atomic affinity pure ski's, i love them. i know this is what everyone says, but demo-ing really is the way to go... one girl's chalk is another's cheese...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. She wants women-specific skis because it's a mental thing. As for testing them, IMO she wouldn't know one from the other afterwards abnyway. She just wants a forgiving on piste ski.

As it happens I know a bloke who knows a bloke who works at Atomic so I've pointed her to him. She'll probably end up with Atomics but he's going to give her a thorough going over, so to speak.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd highly recommend the Nordica Wild Belles. I demoed them on a Snowheads bash last year and thought they were great. They are a solid, dependable ski which turns easily, grips well and should help give her lots of confidence.

I also loved the Blizzard Black Pearls, but they are really meant for softer snow (I still want a pair!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
northernsoulboy, Salomon W Kart.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm 5"11 and if you can get female specific skis for your friend I would highly recommend that action. Female skis are lighter than than male skis and therefore much easier to ski than 'male' skis. The bindings are also attached in a different place.

Try speaking to the shop you are buying from. Are you anywhere near the lakes? Try the guy in Kendal.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Atomic Affinity Air 158cm
http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/128/womens_all_conditions_skis.aspx
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NE1 wrote:
I'm 5"11 and if you can get female specific skis for your friend I would highly recommend that action. Female skis are lighter than than male skis and therefore much easier to ski than 'male' skis. The bindings are also attached in a different place.

Try speaking to the shop you are buying from. Are you anywhere near the lakes? Try the guy in Kendal.

Hmm my Auras are much stiffer and harder to ski than my S3's, sure this applies to loads of other skis. I tried some really stiff, tank like women's K2's as well once.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both myself and mr NE1 have B2s. Whilst his are 10cms longer they are noticeably heavier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NE1, Stiff and heavy skis exist in both male and female ranges. Ease of skiing is subjective too – last week I skied both female and male (unisex) skis, and though the female ones were easier through the bumps, they were a bit flighty and light on hardpack where the unisex ones felt much more stable. The rental guy also briefly handed me a pair of women's Atomics that I could barely lift, much heavier than a lot of men's skis. Needless to say, I left them in the shop.

Mr S hired a pair of Head Integrale 009. He is a bit taller but skinny and doesn't weigh much, so something like this might be suitable. They were pretty lightweight and he really enjoyed them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northernsoulboy, I imagine all the mainstream brands will produce decent skis in that market. If she really wants just anything for on-piste use that is fairly forgiving I'd go through the brand websites looking at 60-78mm width skis aimed at on-piste beginner to intermediate skiers and let her pick the top coat that she likes! FWIW I've skied quite a few skis in that width range and they have been quite doable on-piste. Maybe consider a ski radius of 13-17m? (which again is sort of what I have used) However, I would certainly let her do the picking! wink I don't know anything technical about skis, but I know that I am also a skier that doesn't need a top-class ski and I know that I have skied well on skis of those sorts of dimensions. I do know that on something wider I begin to notice things getting more difficult to turn. Length wise I am an inch shorter and I ski a 170cm - if she wants skis to keep long term and we assume that she won't get worse at skiing I'd go for a set of 170cm skis , not shorter if she wants them for outdoor skiing long term.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would suggest a K2 Superific or Superfree for ease of skiing, they are really forgiving at slower speeds, both have a wood core and are in my opinion really easy to turn. They need very little effort and are super smooth for the type of skier you have described. You wouldn't go wrong with the atomics, they are a great ski, a bit more lively in my opinion.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy