Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier for half term 2015 "en famille"?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are considering Serre C for our family ski jollies at HT next year. If anyone has any views of the resort, ski area (piste skiing mainly) and tuition options I'd be pleased to hear them.

We are particularly interested in views on New Generation for kids' lessons as we are planning on forcing the kids to have lessons and New Gen appear to offer English instructors which would be an acceptable compromise for the kids compared to their favoured option of Ski Esprit lessons in Saas Fee where they have English instructors. (Half term, Saas Fee and Esprit are words to bring terror to my wallet so this isn't an option!)

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Flying Snowplough,
Absolutely superb family resort maybe I'm biased because I took my family there every year when they were younger. New Gen has a great reputation, though it did not exist when we were there however it is a follow on from Eureka ski who were excellent.

If it is true that next year half time coincides with the busiest French week as well as Dutch holidays then it could be a tad busy but this is true for pretty much every where in France. Austria or Italy may be a bit quieter from that point of view but check up on when they are busy (Particularly Fasching in Austria).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski area is fantastic and offers a good range of skiing. Have heard helen be very complimentary about Newgen. Which village are you considering?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the responses so far. All good.

We are currently considering Villeneuve or Chantemerle. No particular reason other than we can go there with Crystal who offer very convenient flight options!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Consider Ski Miquel for Monetier. I think they have flights from Manchester. Their catering is good. They have 2 properties in Monetier. Simone isn't luxurious but is comfortable and very short walk to the slopes (200 yards or so).

If you fly and do it DIY fly to Turin rather than Grenoble. One way transfers seem to be 250ish for a car and a little more for a minibus depending how many of you there are.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Consider Ski Miquel for Monetier. I think they have flights from Manchester. Their catering is good. They have 2 properties in Monetier. Simone isn't luxurious but is comfortable and very short walk to the slopes (200 yards or so).

If you fly and do it DIY fly to Turin rather than Grenoble. One way transfers seem to be 250ish for a car and a little more for a minibus depending how many of you there are.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not quite what you're asking but we used Eskimo ski in Saas Fee and stayed in a hotel recommended by tripadvisor which was v reasonable. Just to confuse things!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great ski area. Huge choice of runs. You will not be disappointed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RosieL, he's asking about Serre Chevalier not Saas Fee, as the cost was too great.

Brilliant area, New Gen will give excellent tuition for the children too. Email them and enquire about what will be available for them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the comments, folks. We ended up plumping for Montgenevre instead for a variety of reasons. Maybe 2016 for SC!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Enjoy the trip. Hope you are flying to Turin rather than Grenoble. Much closer to Turin.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100, thanks. We are indeed going to Turin. Nice short transfer and civilised flight times were two of the variety of reasons.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We (6 adults, 5 kids) skied Montgenevre Feb half term last year. Loved it, really quiet considering HT. Only negative was slight paucity of challenging blacks, but I'm told there is good off-piste. Never tried it, so can't comment. Going to SC Feb 15 staying just outside Chantemerle. Happy to hear recommendations and tips.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richardvg, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

There are a few SC fans here, so if you have any specific questions the "collective" will, I'm sure, be able to answer.

Just outside Chantemerle? St Chaffrey or Villard Late, perhaps?

Chantemerle is where I've stayed the majority of times in SC (4 out of 5 weeks in total). Nice town with quite a lot of character, particularly the old part (worth a wander around). The facilities are central and OK, there are several nice bars and restaurants. Some of the ski/boot hire companies operate secure lockers right by the lifts, so one can store gear there to save lugging it around.

The Luc Alphand piste is an FIS-rated black run down into the town - at around 10.30/11.00am, before the hordes have chopped it up, it is a great piste to really rip it up in places. End of the day? Can be challenging in busy peaks.

The bowl above Chantemerle (Serre Ratier) is where quite a few runs meet up and has a good selection of restaurants with sunny terraces.

As I say, please do fire away with any questions Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy