Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dry slope for 8 year old?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My 8 year old started snow boarding on our last holiday. He is naturally gifted at sports (unlike the rest of us that have to work at these things!) and could manage some nice flowing linked turns on reds and blues by the end of the holiday

He wants some more practice before the next holiday. We've got the Brentwood dry slope about 10-15 mins from us or Hemel snow dome about 1-1/2 away. I dont think the little lad is quite ready for the freestyle evenings at Hemel but that's what he wants to work towards.

Is it worth him practicing snowboarding on a dry slope or is it completely impossible? Obviously we can do considerable more on the dry slope than we can in Hemel or Milton keynes due to te time.

Apologies for any spelling or grammar as I've typed this on iPhone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's certainly possible to snowboard on a dry slope....but it can hurt if you get it wrong! I found snowflex easier than dendex when on a board....ironically on skis I preferred the dendex surface.

Give it a go and see how he gets on.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My husband and I and our 2 boys (9 and 7) are currently learning to snowboard on a dry ski slope. Its great fun but it does hurt when you fall! All of us ski but wanted to give boarding a whirl. We've never boarded on snow so aren't frustrated with a comparison between dendex and snow. It might be a bit annoying for your son to start off with but once he gets used to it he'll be fine. Any practice has got to help! Someone told me that learning on a dry ski slope is harder, but you get technically better - not sure that makes sense! But hopefully you know what I mean!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a lot of fun on my board at Brentwood a couple of years ago. There was 3" inches of snow on top of the dendex at the time though. It looks pretty harsh in the nude but I've never quite managed to muster the enthusiasm to have a go - from what I've read its great for improving technique however. He'd probably enjoy hemel more but it's a fair schlep from our neck of the woods.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I learnt pretty much on plastic, it's entirely possible and even fun. Personally I still like plastic better than small indoor slopes. Snowflex is easier to start with than Dendix (it's "Dendix", named after Dennis Dixon) I think, although it's all the same once you work it out.

In general plastic is way less forgiving than snow, so more conducive to building good riders. Anyone can straight-line an indoor slope, or believe that sideslipping the back of the board is "turning".

When there's 7.6cm of snow here I ride on the golf course.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cool. We'll give it a go. I'm sure he can wear some of his ice hockey padding on the dry slope to stop some of the pain!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy