Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snoworks Vanoise Safari.... Any info please?

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings Comrades/esses
I'm booked onto a Snoworks Vanoise All Terrain safari Course next week based out of Brides Le Bain.
Has anyone been on one of these or knows anything about the course. I would just like a bit of 1st hand experience knowledge on what to expect.
Here's some blurb on a previous course but written by the provider. The participants comments at the bottom are all about the food!!
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/?p=5469
I think it's similar to the Tarantaise safari, I think they are the two neighbouring regions between the 3V's and La Plagne and Espace Killy ? please correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers

edit: wrong link oops
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We've not done that course, but Snoworks in general are pretty good. The All Terrain course we did out of Courcheval a couple of years ago really got us off the intermediate plateau. The routes will depend on the snow conditions, but they are very safety conscious, and the leaders have a lot of knowledge. Expect to be pushed quite hard, but by the end of the week you will be much more confident and able to ski more terrain.
We'll see you on an off-piste course next season Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Done various courses with Snoworks - always had a very good week.

Haven't done the Vanoise Safari, but have done the Tartentaise based in The Auberge at St. Foy 3 times (the food really is good, hence the blog comments - but it is definitely not all about eating!). Last time was a 'Back Country Access' week. The bias of the A/T week will depend on snow conditions prevailing. They do have a basic itinerary, but the theory is that they assess the local conditions and visit the best place on that day.

They are pretty smart about assessing people's ski level and putting them in an appropriate group.

Enjoy.

Edit: Should also have said, that you purchase daily lift passes for the different resorts. They normally collect some cash at the beginning of the week and the instructor will buy the passes when you arrive at the lift station. For the Tarentaise week, it worked out about the same as buying a 6 day EK pass.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 11-03-14 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ianwal, Thanks for that
What about fitness levels, I've been a bit of a desk jockey lately Confused
Was it hard going trekking between runs?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
franzClammer, I've taken a look at the description - it sounds.........errr..............ambitious?!! I hope you come back in one piece. Have you got off-piste safety kit sorted?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't worry. As usual there will be the odd super keen/fit, but they will pace the groups to suit, and I have never known any pressure 'to get a effing move on' Very Happy
You won't be doing any skinning on an A/T course, it is all about lift accessed and on piste. Depending where you are skiing and the conditions, you might do a short (10-15min) boot pack to reach a run.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum,
Quote:

franzClammer, I've taken a look at the description - it sounds.........errr..............ambitious?!! I hope you come back in one piece. Have you got off-piste safety kit sorted?

Snoworks provide all the safety kit if you don't have your own, and will do training appropriate to the terrain you are visiting
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
Laughing
As Ian says they provide the kit.
I am getting some blimming Powder Traces though!! Toofy Grin

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 11-03-14 14:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ianwal, Thanks for the insight, that's what I was hoping to hear Smile
I did wonder about the lift pass situ....cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
franzClammer,
Quote:

anwal, Thanks for the insight, that's what I was hoping to hear

Their aim is not terrify you or show what great skiers they might be, but for YOU to have a great time, feel like you have achieved something you wouldn't necessarily have done by yourself, return again and recommend to your friends. That's what happened to me Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
franzClammer,

It should do wonders for your skiing and get your focussing where it matters, your feet/skis not your arms wink

I think the course is being run by Lee Townend, a BASI Trainer, so have a word with him about your future goals. I am sure he will help.

Posted by Stewart Woodward.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stewart
Hi ya mate
I've heard good things about Lee, I'll certainly have a good chat with him.
Hope to bump into you in Tignes week after next. I'm staying on for a 2nd week after the course
Thanks Stu
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
franzClammer wrote:
Stewart
Hi ya mate
Hope to bump into you in Tignes week after next. I'm staying on for a 2nd week after the course
Thanks Stu

Drop me a PM when you are here & i will see if we can meet up for a ski. Hopefully my computer will be back working then Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did my L1 with Lee. Take lots of energy with you and get ready for a fun week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mrs W wrote:

Drop me a PM when you are here & i will see if we can meet up for a ski. Hopefully my computer will be back working then Puzzled

Most definitely
Cheers Stu snowHead
ski holidays
franzClammer, if it is being taught by Lee Townend you will have a great time, he's very good and a nice guy too. Enjoy yourself and let us know how it was snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Enjoy yourself and let us know how it was

+1
snow report
Will do
Cheers people
Gotta get packing now

snowHead
snow conditions
franzClammer, I really like the idea of the safari but for next season. Chatted at length with Phil about what the safari entails and it sounds awesome but full on-perhaps group/level dependent? Lunch ate on the chair lifts and allot of ground covered-sounds awesome! Enjoy.
latest report
franzClammer, Lee has run the L1 courses "up north" for the past few years, so defo have a chat with him about your l1 plans!

Enjoy the sun, spring snow can be as good as powder!
snow report
franzClammer,

I was on this course last year and have booked again for next week which tells you how much I enjoyed it, so I look forward to seeing you there.

I have not much to add to what others have said although I do think that the word safari is a bit misleading for this kind of week. It is essentially about using a minibus to get to different resorts during the week, then using the lifts primarily to get off piste. We did little hiking last year for various reasons however I suspect we might do a bit more this time looking at the current snow conditions. Last year there were two groups.

The last I heard before Christmas Lee will not be involved next week, but if he is not that is no problem as the other Snoworks guides are also excellent.
latest report
richjp, cool... look forward to meeting you.
latest report
franzClammer, what skis are you taking/hiring??
snow conditions
richjp,

Just checked with Lee. He is not on this course next week but another BASI trainer is one of the trainers.

Posted by Stewart W
ski holidays
kitenski, I've got some Head Rev 80's (130, 81, 112) in 177

http://youtube.com/v/t1e6XXo12EU
Have you got fatties?

Thanks Stu
latest report
franzClammer wrote:
Mrs W wrote:

Most definitely
Cheers Stu snowHead

Are you talking about w/c 23rd? If so, we're our then staying in the Auguille Percee at La Lac. It would be good to meet up.

If its not Lee, then it may be Nick Quinn, or Phil Smith that is the leader. Both are great. You'll have a brilliant time.
snow report
franzClammer, did Decathlon come up trumps after all?
snow report
franzClammer wrote:
kitenski, I've got some Head Rev 80's (130, 81, 112) in 177

Have you got fatties?

Thanks Stu

I have my Titans as my goto ski, then some "slighty" wider 191cm Lhasa Pows at 112 I think, and some High Society Freerides at 92mm underfoot that I really should sell!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarah, no but thanks a lot for the tip. I got mine from a pal at Hemel. A real bargain.
I thought 177 too long but they are excellent skis that are performing admirably.
I would recommend them for anyone watching my vids and skis at around my level "IntermIdiot"
I'll give the Magnums a go next week in Tignes,

Incidentally: the Snoworks course groups are lead by Dave, Rupert, & Brian.
I got bumped up to the middle group ftom the lower group at lunchtime. Very Happy
ski holidays
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:

Are you talking about w/c 23rd? If so, we're our then staying in the Auguille Percee at La Lac. It would be good to meet up

Scottish Scrutineer, yep. I'm in Tignes from Sat 22nd until Sat 29th with Happychap
I trust you'll get online out here. PM me when you're in resort & we'll meet up for few runs. Who is in your group?
latest report
franzClammer, sounds good, are you enjoying the course? I guess it's nice spring snow if they have timed the runs well, boiler plater/slush if not!!
ski holidays
kitenski, it's Epic. Compared to my usual trip. This is in a different league.
I've received some very positive feedback from the BASI Trainer. Obviously work to do, but I think I'm making progress. We focused a bit on Piste Performance today as well as some gnarly off piste bumps n steeps.
The Instructors seem well skilled in reading the terrain & finding the aspects with soft snow. I'm trying to suss out what they're basing their choices on Puzzled
I would've avoided the North facing slopes thinking them icy but it's the freeze/thaw that's to be avoided it seems.
We were in Val Morel today. A nice little resort that I'd never usually consider visiting. So a bit of a geographical education too.
latest report
franzClammer, sounds amazing snowHead
ski holidays
franzClammer wrote:
Scottish Scrutineer wrote:

Are you talking about w/c 23rd? If so, we're our then staying in the Auguille Percee at La Lac. It would be good to meet up

Scottish Scrutineer, yep. I'm in Tignes from Sat 22nd until Sat 29th with Happychap
I trust you'll get online out here. PM me when you're in resort & we'll meet up for few runs. Who is in your group?

Theres just the two of us travelling out, my wife and myself. Both pretty happy to ski most of the pistes in the area. Favourites being Sache, Golf, Silene, Leisse, for challenging runs, venturing into off-piste (and should have our kit with us) but happy to ski cruisy Reds and Blues to give you an idea of what we like to ski.

I'll PM you when we get sorted out on Sunday evening.

Cheers,
snow report
franzClammer, Glad you are enjoying the course.

Have you joined Snoworks all Mountain Skiers on FB yet Puzzled There are some great pictures on there from todays Col de Four's in Val D
snow report
Scottish Scrutineer, look forward to hopefully meeting you guys
ski holidays
Quote:

I got bumped up to the middle group ftom the lower group at lunchtime

Congratulations. snowHead Sounds like a great week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy