Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2-3 week instructor courses (level 1) abroad

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am considering gaining an instructor qualification - it's more to fulfill a childhood dream of becoming one rather than for practical job related reasons, although it may come in handy if I am made redundant from my current job *touch wood* Shocked

As I have a full-time office job, the most I can take time off work in one go is 2-3 weeks. I'm looking for an all-in-one deal (including tuition, exam fees, shadowing, accommodation, ski pass etc.) where I can get the qualification, provided that I pass the exams, at the end of the 2-3 week course; i.e. not having to do the work experience. So far the only short term courses I have found are 2 weeks in Meribel with Snowskool (BASI L1) and 3 weeks in Banff or Fernie with Nonstop (CSIA L1). Does anyone have any feedback they can share about the schools, courses, or any other recommendations?

Another thing I'm unclear of is, setting the visa issues aside, is BASI recognised in other countries? I know that in the UK you can only teach on indoor/dry slopes with BASI 1 but could you teach on snow in other countries, or would you need L2 for that anyway?

Thank you for your help in advance Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-03-14 17:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yuka76, There are loads of posts on here about the various options, BASI, CSIA, Austria, France etc. Look through "Bend ze Knees" or search on a suitable phrase. There's a live one atm.

On BASI1 you can actually do it in the UK at a snowdome or some dryslopes, it takes a week if your skiing is already up to it. It is sensible though to have your skiing assessed in advance, most of the domes, etc do that. Qualifies you for snowdomes or dryslopes in the UK only.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Claude B, thanks for your quick response - much appreciated Smile I realised that I wasn't very clear on what information I'm after in my original post, which isn't so much about difference between qualifications because as you rightly say there are loads of posts on them... I've made some editions so hopefully it is clearer now.

I had considered the snow dome option but figured it could be fun more improving/shadowing on the snow especially as I don't have easy access to the indoor slopes anyway.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yuka76, Yes if you did it in the UK you'd need to do 35 hours shadowing elsewhere also, don't forget also a 2 day first aid course plus an online child protection module and CRB check. Shadowing alone can take some time, my daughter took most of last winter to do hers as she was doing AS levels at the time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yuka76 wrote:
Another thing I'm unclear of is, setting the visa issues aside, is BASI recognised in other countries? I know that in the UK you can only teach on indoor/dry slopes with BASI 1 but could you teach on snow in other countries, or would you need L2 for that anyway?

The remit of L1 is that it qualifies you to teach in indoor and artifical environments only. In the unlikely event you got a job outside the UK with an L1 teaching in a mountain environment, I doubt that BASI's professional indemnity insurance would cover you. But a call to BASI will clarify - or a follow-up post from a BASI 'insider'...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yuka76, If you are london based we have an option that might be of interest http://www.insideoutskiing.com/inside.html#4
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy