Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you get frustrated with your skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
pam w,
Yes but some talents just seem to come naturally with age / experience (e.g. Wedding reception dancers) Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddiethebus wrote:
dont ski but i get frustrated snowboarding every single day!

Blimey snowboarding for 365 days in a year that's quite a commitment even for a resort based individual.

Why not try skiing occasionally the ease the frustration, personally I'm fairly convinced it suits Chx terrain better.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, but the motor skills necessary to pass a driving test are minimal - and (I just looked up a website) an intensive course is 28 hours one-to-one tuition. Most beginner skiers have 10 hours or so, in a big group, and spend a fair bit of time standing around. Anyone with a shred of aptitude who spent 28 hours in private one-to-one ski lessons would be able to ski as well as most people who pass their test can drive - and those with good aptitude could probably do rather well!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megamum, yes but they then drive/ride more than once a week!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

pam w, on the other hand people pass motorcycle and driving tests after 'learn to drive in a week courses' and can drive for the rest of their lives on that pass. So it is possible to aquire lasting skills in a week - it could be a bit like riding a bicycle at least to a certain stage of competence.

If you only drive for one week a year you'll get worse though.

I guess one week skiing a year is a luxury for most people. It's often a choice between that and a summer holiday. It will be difficult to improve beyond a certain level without going more often though. Lessons are good value but are an added expense.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Lechbob wrote:
The masochists who compete against themselves & can't enjoy skiing because their technique is not perfect are are missing out on a lot a pleasure.

Ah, but what about the feeling you get when you eventually nail it!

I was just talking to someone whose son is an instructor who has all of his level 4 except the Eurotest. He's earning good money in instructor terms, working in a country where you don't need it, with no intention to move to France, has come very close on (I think) 4 or 5 occasions and he's still going for it, training hard, self-funding... I asked why he was bothering as he didn't need it and it wouldn't make a noticeable difference to his income (plus he's clearly not a money-motivated kind of person, as he's a total braniac who could easily have opted for a high-cash city job instead). "Well, that's just his personality…". I've no doubt he's felt frustrated at times… but I can just imagine how amazing it's going to feel when he makes it (and he will).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Touchguru wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

If I ever happen to get there, I'll let you know Smile

I can't wait THAT long wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:

Blimey snowboarding for 365 days in a year that's quite a commitment even for a resort based individual.

Why not try skiing occasionally the ease the frustration, personally I'm fairly convinced it suits Chx terrain better.

Being frustrated doesnt remove any of the enjoyment, if i wasnt becoming frustrated with something it would mean that i'm not trying anything new.

becoming a better rider has a direct relationship with my happyness on snow. landing a small 360 off the side of a piste is great, but landing a 720 off a drop off under a lift and having people on the chairs applaud is a totally different feeling!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc wrote:
Touchguru wrote:
Mosha Marc wrote:

If I ever happen to get there, I'll let you know Smile

I can't wait THAT long wink Laughing

Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eddiethebus wrote:

becoming a better rider has a direct relationship with my happyness on snow. landing a small 360 off the side of a piste is great, but landing a 720 off a drop off under a lift and having people on the chairs applaud is a totally different feeling!

There is a theory that the key to happiness is ensuring that you you have some achievable challenges in life (needs to be sufficiently challenging but also achievable with some effort). With the (high) risk of boring people with psychobabble, for some, the intrinsic reward of "I did it!" is enough; for others the extrinsic motivation of having recognition from others is also an important source of pleasure (neither is better or worse IMV - my intrinsic/extrinsic motivation varies from one activity or task to another, although I'm glad I have some things in life that I genuinely do for the enjoyment of the task alone, irrespective of extrinsic reward).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What is frustrating is not being in the Dolomites on a nice day like today Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pinball13 wrote:
I guess one week skiing a year is a luxury for most people. It's often a choice between that and a summer holiday

I don't understand this statement.
Please, what is a "summer holiday"? Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jonpim wrote:
pinball13 wrote:
I guess one week skiing a year is a luxury for most people. It's often a choice between that and a summer holiday

I don't understand this statement.
Please, what is a "summer holiday"? Puzzled

Dunno - I think there might have been a song about it quite a long time ago. That might provide some sort of frame of reference, assuming you have the time and inclination to do the research (I don't).

Sorry I can't help you more Jonpim...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glen Charman wrote:
When I go skiing I always seem to get frustrated with my skiing. I’ve had some great ski coaching from Rod and Scott at Inside Out. About 18 months ago I had a light bulb moment and it all clicked. But since then I seem to be struggling to move forward. Do others find the same thing?
Yes. In my experience, improvement, particularly for strong skiers like yourself, is not a smooth upward path, but a serious of step changes with periods of consolidation and experimentation in between. The better you get, the harder won the improvements are. What keeps my passion for skiing alive is the fact that I can always get better, so the challenge, frustration and reward are an intrinsic part of skiing.

That's not to say I don't love the scenery, the camaraderie, the whizzing down easy slopes, the hot chocolates, etc, etc, etc. Those things, although necessary, are not sufficient for me to truly enjoy skiing. The challenge of improvement, and the frustration that goes with it, is what I return to the mountains for.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar,

by etc etc etc you mean "hot chicks in hot tubs", right?
snow report
[quote="Mosha Marc"]
Lechbob wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:
The masochists who compete against themselves & can't enjoy skiing because their technique is not perfect are are missing out on a lot a pleasure.

You've already forgot what "it" was and you've moved onto another "it" snowHead

I'm in the QB camp on this.
snow report
DB wrote:
rob@rar,

by etc etc etc you mean "hot chicks in hot tubs", right?
Well, yes, I suppose that's true. But I try not to talk about that just in case Jane gets the wrong idea why I'm away from home quite a lot in the winter.
latest report
eddiethebus wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:
eddiethebus wrote:

Being frustrated doesnt remove any of the enjoyment, if i wasnt becoming frustrated with something it would mean that i'm not trying anything new.

I only meant that it might break up the drudge of having to snowboard every single day (even in August, when it's a long walk back, or October when it's raining)..............oh never mind I'm clearly labouring the gag.
ski holidays
I have been wondering recently what part of the memory we store our skiing skills in.
It seems quite miraculous that the skills are acquired at lightning speed and retained pretty much intact & ready to go......... Amazing !!
I have been trying to learn the guitar whilst I've been learning to ski. I haven't picked it up for a couple of months and yesterday couldn't even get through the intro of my favourite piece........as opposed to not skiing for months and within minutes you're wizzing down the piste in any conditions on different skis, having sat at a desk for te intervening 40+ weeks. AMAZING Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

the skills are acquired at lightning speed

speak for yourself; I don't acquire them at lightning speed.....
latest report
pam w, Laughing
snow conditions
franzClammer wrote:
I have been wondering recently what part of the memory we store our skiing skills in.
It seems quite miraculous that the skills are acquired at lightning speed and retained pretty much intact & ready to go......... Amazing !!
I have been trying to learn the guitar whilst I've been learning to ski. I haven't picked it up for a couple of months and yesterday couldn't even get through the intro of my favourite piece........as opposed to not skiing for months and within minutes you're wizzing down the piste in any conditions on different skis, having sat at a desk for te intervening 40+ weeks. AMAZING Shocked

It's not rocket science skiing is just basic motor skills, which we tend to acquire once and not forget, same as throwing a ball or riding a bike. Guitar requires more detailed memory of notes, fingering, chord progressions etc e.g. knowing how to hold a fret isn't much use when it's the wrong one.

Which is also why learning to Ski "wrong" can result in bad habits for life.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
fingering.

Hehehe - pervert.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/9Oy5nsqgYdI&feature=youtube_gdata_player
ski holidays
In my experience, improvement, particularly for strong skiers like yourself, is not a smooth upward path, but a serious of step changes with periods of consolidation and experimentation in between. The better you get, the harder won the improvements are. What keeps my passion for skiing alive is the fact that I can always get better, so the challenge, frustration and reward are an intrinsic part of skiing.

I rob@rar thanks for the complement I don’t think I would have described myself as a strong skier. Embarassed But I take your point progress can be slow but when it clicks it’s a fantastic felling
I will see you soon at Hemel for some lesson Smile
snow report
Of course I get frustrated, anyone who is trying to improve at anything will occasionally get frustrated. Skiing is particularly hard because there's very few concrete levels of attainment, so sometimes it's hard to know whether you have actually improved or not. I'm honestly not sure whether I have got better this season and I have skied well over 100 days.

I guess it'd be kind of nice to be just able to cruise around not caring about how I ski, but given as skiing well is a big part of my job, it wouldn't really work well for me.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
Of course I get frustrated, anyone who is trying to improve at anything will occasionally get frustrated. Skiing is particularly hard because there's very few concrete levels of attainment, so sometimes it's hard to know whether you have actually improved or not. I'm honestly not sure whether I have got better this season and I have skied well over 100 days.

Even if you've not got "better" against a conventional yardstick, given your training and level 100 days will have incrementally added to your demoing "smoothness" and instructor bag of tricks and your freeskiing will have picked up some fluidity surely?

I know when I did a mini season I got better through terrain familiarity and speed/fitness as much as doing new stuff. Plus lots of people to try to hang with who were better.
ski holidays
Ultimately we will all probably peak (i.e. get to the point that won't be improved upon). e.g. I'd imagine Benni Raich has done 100 days+ skiing in the last few seasons but he isn't getting better.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Plus lots of people to try to hang with who were better.

For people who are good skiers/boarders, and confident, I imagine this is a key factor. My son said he improved hugely through going out with his ski instructor flat mate, and his mates, on their days off in Val D'Isere, though he felt like a total beginner in comparison. He also enjoyed working in a chalet where one of the other staff was a very good boarder who knew the 3V well - he was sufficiently superior in ability to give my son something to aim at, but not so much so that he was out of sight. DB, I suspect I might have peaked, albeit at a slightly lower level than Benni Raich, just through old age. So my aim is to be able to keep going for a long while yet, using some improvement in skill but also a sensible range of goals (across cross-country skiing as well as downhill) to be able to keep enjoying it.
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

I suspect I might have peaked, albeit at a slightly lower level than Benni Raich, just through old age. So my aim is to be able to keep going for a long while yet, using some improvement in skill but also a sensible range of goals (across cross-country skiing as well as downhill) to be able to keep enjoying it.
+1 (except I'm not sure I fancy x-country, says she, not having even tried it. Embarassed )
snow conditions
jimmer wrote:

I guess it'd be kind of nice to be just able to cruise around not caring about how I ski, but given as skiing well is a big part of my job, it wouldn't really work well for me.

I think you're 'allowed' to get frustrated though as skiing is a profession for you and an integral part of your life. I think it's us recreational skiers - who sometimes experience frustration with our skiing - that are being deemed by some to be in need of psychological help Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
I'm pretty driven to improve in most things I do, so when progression stalls (it's never smooth in anything), I get frustrated. But that helps me analyse issues and/or seek help to improve again.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
jimmer wrote:

Even if you've not got "better" against a conventional yardstick, given your training and level 100 days will have incrementally added to your demoing "smoothness" and instructor bag of tricks and your freeskiing will have picked up some fluidity surely?

I know when I did a mini season I got better through terrain familiarity and speed/fitness as much as doing new stuff. Plus lots of people to try to hang with who were better.

Oh, in some aspects I have definitely improved, I have been running a lot more training for high level instructors, so that has been a great learning experience. Also been doing a lot of yoga, and due to that found my grabs and control in the park improving. What I have been lacking is freeskiing time with people that push me, in Chile I have a really good crew to ski with, and lots of free time, here I work a lot and don't have such ripping friends. And anyway, like I said, it's hard to tell sometimes if you are improving or not!

I'm definitely not frustrated with my skiing all the time, if I was I probably wouldn't really enjoy it. I'd say for me frustration comes in when I have to lead training on something that isn't one of my strengths (i.e. moguls), or when I go and shoot photos/video and don't get the shot, even today where I landed everything and got some good photos I am a little bummed that I didn't push myself to throw some tricks rather than straight airs.
snow report
Megamum, yes, but those people go on to drive cars & motorbikes regularly, not just once a year!
snow conditions
DB wrote:
Ultimately we will all probably peak (i.e. get to the point that won't be improved upon). e.g. I'd imagine Benni Raich has done 100 days+ skiing in the last few seasons but he isn't getting better.

Course Raich has been getting better - he's have been ejected out of the back door of the WC circuit pretty rapidly if he hadn't, just that the rest of the field has been getting better at least as fast or maybe faster.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy