Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broadcasting house on ski apps - are they increasing injury and risks?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
philwig wrote:
If you're really concerned, then how about:
(1) Ride somewhere like Whistler where they have speed cops
(2) Ride harder slopes. You rarely see anyone incompetent ripping a steep bump field.

Arrogant or what? How about not telling me what or where I should ski in order not to be hit from behind by idiots?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Speed is only a problem on busy pistes or where visibility is obscured. The problem is that the number of busy pistes has dramatically increased in the past 20 years. Most Alpine resorts have seen an enormous increase in lift capacity since high speed lifts became commonplace, but, few, if any, have commensurately increased the length of width of pisted terrain. The result is very significantly greater levels of overcrowding.

In my (admittedly anecdotal) experience, mega-resorts have accounted for less than 20% of my family's total skiing days, but 100% of collisions and near misses. Also true to the stereotype, 100% of the colliders have been young, British and male. I have never come close to a collision on the relatively calm slopes of North America.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On a recent holiday, two friends had downloaded skitracks for the first time, just for fun and not intended for racing. I think it is a neat app, I like that it shows you pistes skied, total kilometers, etc.

Both ladies are experienced and relatively fit skiers in their 50s/60s, although the younger of the two ladies skies at greater speeds. I can confirm that they do ski differently as I struggle to keep up with one but easily overtake the other. We skied all day with the app switched on and then reviewed the app at the end of the day. Both apps were giving top speeds of about 50km/h, which seems odd considering the differences in speeds that the two ladies ski at, and that speed seems a little high for one skier and a little low for the other. They didn't bother using them for the rest of the week, as the results seemed so inconsistent.

Conclusion: I'd say that these apps have potential, yet some idiots are using these as the basis for skiing faster every run. This will only end in tears.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy