Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New board advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I've been boarding for a while now and am now after a new board. The stick i've been riding was a Capita Quiver Killer 159 which i have been finding a little too advanced for my level of riding. Having tried a few other boards i have come to the conclusion that i'd like something a little softer and with a flat or reverse camber to make it a little more playful and easier to turn. I ride primarily piste and like to do a few small jumps and boxes but dont consider myself much of a parkrat so dont want a complete noodle.

Im roughly 6'1" and 95kg, been looking for a while but am finding theres a little too much choice out there... Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Rob.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RJDubya, I am duty bound to recommend Amplid boards (I'm a brand ambassador!). They're top quality stuff (made in Austria) and the LoBro sounds very much what you're looking for: http://www.amplid.com/snowboards/lobro

One of my staff has been riding it all season and is really impressed. For more info and for cheeky discounts, drop me a private message.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think my main hang up on this is that i dont know if i can try boards anywhere before buying? Recommending a whole brand (or even 1 board) is not much help without some reasoning behind it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
RJDubya, to help you make a better choice look for hybrid camber boards that have a cam rock profile. Flat boards tend to feel quite 'flat' and don't always have alot of pop. Also if you do like to ride hard on the piste, flat boards don't always hold an edge well. Look at mid flex all mountain twin or twinnish boards. Try Jones Mountain Twin, Rome Agent Rocker, Yes Basic/ Jackpot or even Asym. TSA have a Nidecker Axis for sale and this could be a really good board for you. It's very difficult to recommend a board without knowing a great deal about you, "been boarding for a while" is too vague.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry to hijack the post but...

stevomcd, On my other thread re new freestyle board (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=108991) I have just mentioned that I have been recommended and Amplid Dopamine for my needs... I now you;re biassed but I'd appreciate your views on this... Looking at maybe a 12/13 board,... as a bit cheaper... Are they the same as this seasons Dopamine as far as tech is concerned...?

Been riding for around 10 years (holiday) and just looking for something a bit fun... Don't want to replace my Forum Scheme as I'd still prob use that for 'snowbaording', if you get my meaning... Looking for something I can take up the hill with the specific intention of venturing in the park, or just playing around all day...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 3-03-14 16:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are none of you going to suggest improving skills rather than buying a easier tool? RJDubya, find a school and improve your technique and you will find your current board is not just fine but even sub-standard for your developing riding. Buying something that flatters a low skill-set will just leave you on a plateau . . . if that's what you want then by all means seek a shortcut to the middle road.

You have a stiff and quick rolling board that may be a 'little' short for deep soft snow but ideal for learning a solid riding technique Try 'upping' your skills before lowering your expectations. wink

Have fun, John
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlpineAddict, I've got a Dopamine (12/13 version, but I don't think this year's is much different). It was a big change for me, as I've always ridden stiff, carvy boards. It is a LOT of fun to ride. I always have a big grin on my face when I'm out on it. Feels like you can try anything freestyle-wise and get away with it. For sure, they're not the highest-performance piste board, but they're still carvable with a bit of finesse. I've also ridden mine in deep powder a few times (someone always wants to demo my Creamer when the snow is deep!) and the big rocker makes it a lot of fun in the powder. Very loose and surfy. Not very stable at high speed, but again, that's not what it's for.

PM'd you too.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RJDubya, well, to further my suggestion of the LoBro - it is a mixed-camber board, with flat camber between the feet, traditional camber under the bindings and rockered nose and tail. That's a lot to take in, but essentially it means that the board has a loose, playful, turny feel but keeps a little more grip and performance compared to a fully-rockered board.

The flex is relatively soft, but not ridiculously so. Again, this makes it playful and easy to ride without being a complete noodle. The rockered nose and tail mean that it floats pretty well in powder.

We have boards to demo for anyone who's in Sainte Foy - Creamer, Dopamine, Paradigma, UNW8, LoBro and Morning Split.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wa sin exactly the same position as you about 18 months ago, until I was introduced to the Burton Clash.
It is a V-Rocker and is fantastic for an all mountain experience.
If you want something a bit more advanced in the V-Rocker range, go for the Burton Nug or Descendant. The Nug allows you to down size your board by about 8 centimetres and it just eats up the terrain even moguls and icy patches.
But try the Clash first and step up from there. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Be Well, Rez
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Same here,

although I agree with Masque, and I stuck to my traditional Burton Custom for too long, working on good technique and improving my skills.
This year I took a Head Evils Kers: cambered rocker.
What a fun season I had.

So, while I agree with the purist veiw, I can only suggest that for the couple of weeks we get on the snow, its better to use the new tech and enjoy yourself that much more.

I recommend the Head board: great fun for whatever, even my mates ( LibTech freak) agree that it turns like a dream and jumps off anything.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy