Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cinderella, you SHALL go to the ball...

Poster: A snowHead
David Goldsmith

My understanding of the Black Tie is as follows:

Worn when invitation states “Black Tie” - receptions and balls, formal evening functions and cruises.

This consists of a single-breasted or double-breasted jacket with satin faced lapels and trousers with a satin stripe down the outside leg seam. The traditional shirt is white, plain collared with a pleated or Marcella front, but nowadays the more modern wing collared shirt with pleated front is preferred by many men.

There is a wide range of patterns and colours in bow ties, handkerchiefs, waistcoats and cummerbunds; one or other of the last two items may be worn with the single-breasted jacket, but never waistcoat and cummerbund together

Or you can wear full dress highland wear, as I do. Unfortunately every time (and I do mean EVERY time) I wear my kilt some bigot (almost always a woman) will accuse me of not being a 'real Scotsman' because of my accent. Only after I have produced my birth certifificate along with those of my mother and father and played Scotland the Brave, Amazing Grace and The Burning of the Piper's Hut on my penny whistle will they go away!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you don't have the "The name's Bond, James Bond, I live in Marbella, please vote SNP" authentic accent, Gerry?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gerry, I notice you didn't include in your list of qualifications to wear a kilt the non wearing of under garments - surely proof (if further was needed) of your pure blood lines Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
.....speaking of which, that bloke who turned up at Prince William's 21st at Windsor Castle in the strict dress code of pink dress and Osama Bin Laden beard had something a bit unusual under his frock.

It was black, as I recall, but it certainly wasn't a tie.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith:
1. Read Wkepedia on Black Tie
2. Black Tie does not mean Black Dress
3. Few people wish to go to an event where we are all wearing exactly the same, so puting a bit of colour and sparkle into the tie, wastecoat and cummerbund is just demostration of individuality. Black Tie, White Tie, Pink Tie is just a form of Fancy Dress, and should be approached in that manner.
4. If you thought snowHeads sometimes suffered a touch of navel gazing, then take a look at this lot: they are professionals.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim wrote:

4. If you thought snowHeads sometimes suffered a touch of navel gazing, then take a look at this lot: they are professionals.

Who are those people??? Puzzled Shocked Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have made up a party of eight and and are looking forward to the Ski Club Ball at the Hurlingham once again. True the tickets are not cheap but at least some of our ticket revenue is going to a charity to support disabled skiers I believe. There is something rather English about this sort of quintescential (spelling?) gathering that although slightly quaint it is for me and my friends always a very enjoyable night out in the English summer.
Personally the "black tie" is a very good arrangement; unlike the ladies I don't have to think - I just climb into the uniform and hey presto! I am vaguely presentable. Over the last 25 years we have probably attended the ball around 8 times, and always had a great time.
What would be fun if other Snowheads attending the ball (and I am sure there will be some) would wear a distinguishing discrete badge so that we could recognise one another. I would suggest something simple like a small yellow circle the size of a 5p piece cut of a "Postit" and attached to the lapel of one's DJ.
See you there Folks (maybe????)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure a yellow post-it note circle would go with my red ball gown! Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about a snowHead handshake? Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Classy tho' Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim, I just have to ask this. These professionals.... what exactly do they do for money? And on which planet?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beverley wrote:
I'm not sure a yellow post-it note circle would go with my red ball gown! Wink

Beverley, two in the right place might! Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gerry, Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Gerry but no-one would see them on my knees! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Crikey this all getting a bit sordid!
snow conditions
Kneepads? I thought he meant ear-rings Little Angel
latest report
Ah, all clear now, i mis-read it that no one would see because Beverley would be kneeling down, hence the "two in the right place" wherever those might be, would be too low to notice.... Madeye-Smiley (only kidding B)
snow conditions
dolphingirl, I think U might have been barking up the wrong kilt there Wink
(do Dolphins bark?)
ski holidays
u brain, I think dolphins sort of squeak and click... given the list of dolphingirl's snow related injuries (reported elsewhere) I imagine she squeaks and clicks quite a bit too Shocked
snow report
I just had a mental picture of Beverly wandering around the whole night in a red ball dress on her knees with some yellow dots strategically placed... and yeah, my knees sound like they are connecting to the internet with every bend...
snow report
Gerry, Beverley, Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I just looked at the SCGB discussion board to see if anyone was talking about the ball. Nothing doing. Pretty deadly. Snowheads is clearly the place to be, even if none of you are going! Sad
snow report
Beverley and DAVID SNELL, have a great time this Friday. I won't be there coz the kilt is still with the mechanics. I hope you have sorted out the hidden sign/tie/garter/badge. And we want Pics and Scandal. Have fun.
latest report
I went to the "ball". David Snell, you were on the guest list, what did you think? Plus enyone else out there. Comments? Confused
ski holidays
So Bev, dish the dirt then!
Who snogged who?
Did Gerry go on the Bucking Frog (or whatever it was) in his kilt?... and did he prove to be a 'true' Shocked Scot or a sassenach pretender rolling eyes ?
snow report
A good party!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 19-07-04 14:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Um...... ok, this isn't a good report. Our company was great as it was the 10 of us that take a chalet together each year. Our 8 friends are not members of the SCGB and had never been to the ball before. I've been to one, about 5 years ago, but things have very clearly changed since then.

Unfortunately, the newly-refurbished Hurlingham Club is not good. It was likened by one guest to "eating in a shopping mall". Cold hard floor and an impersonal setting. On arrival you get given one gold star, this you exchange at the bar for one (half) glass of Champagne. The food was good, but the portions were absolutely miniscule. The band was dreadful. One of our guests had a drink poured down her dress only to be told to "wee wee off" when she complained. One couple on our table had enough and left at 11.00pm. My friend summed it up quite well when she said it was how she imagined a Crystal ski holiday ball would be (no-offence, I have been on a Crystal holiday myself, but you get the picture). It was definitely not an upmarket evening. Some Ski Club members' behaviour and manners were appalling.

Personally, I felt awful as I had remembered a good evening 5 years' previously, but to be honest thought the whole evening was extremely bad value for money and I won't be going back. Sorry Ski Club, but there you go. Confused

The following evening we all went to Kew Gardens to watch Jools Holland and his jazz band. A picnic on the grass, plenty of decent plonk, dancing in our shorts and fireworks - ticket price? £27! Very Happy We all agreed which was the better evening.

Sorry, to give you SnowHeads guys and gals ammunition against the SCGB. I wanted to give a dazzling report and say you were all wrong, but I honestly thought the ball poor value and downmarket. You live and learn. rolling eyes
latest report
Beverley wrote:
Unfortunately, the newly-refurbished Hurlingham Club is not good. It was likened by one guest to "eating in a shopping mall". Cold hard floor and an impersonal setting. On arrival you get given one gold star, this you exchange at the bar for one (half) glass of Champagne. The food was good, but the portions were absolutely miniscule. The band was dreadful.

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it.
At the end of May I was at another ski website's party, it was held in GJs in Wimbledon. Nice place, friendly atmosphere, and when we arrived we got a (full) glass of champagne. Exchange of ticket for 1 wokka/sake. (or, if you knew the staff, several of them) The food was bar snacks, but good, and there was plenty of it, the prizes being given away in the free draw were excellent, the band was phenomenal,and best of all, it was free entry.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Beverley wrote:

The following evening we all went to Kew Gardens to watch Jools Holland and his jazz band. A picnic on the grass, plenty of decent plonk, dancing in our shorts and fireworks - ticket price? £27! Very Happy We all agreed which was the better evening.

Beverley
I went to see Jools Holland last Sunday at Stanford House

Brilliant

Slowplough still nursing hangover
latest report
I saw Jools play the Albert Hall some months ago but sadly his magnificent musicianship and musicians were nearly destroyed by the accoustics and amplification. It's a great venue, but not for highly amplified music.
snow report
Beverley wrote:
Sorry, to give you SnowHeads guys and gals ammunition against the SCGB.
I do hope no one sees snowHeads as 'institutionally anti-scgb'. It's my impression that most of the criticism the club gets here is actually by scgb members, the main reason it happens here being that the T+C's of the scgb forum forbid such criticism there, non?

Your post being typical of that, Beverley.

I try to excuse them their internet faux pas's (the sad forum thing/ the silly site traffic figures) on the grounds that, like yer granny, they've been around a bit but aren't necessarily the quickest out of the blocks these days. The Ball end of things is supposed to be where they come up strong and it's a shame to hear this prestigious event left your people disappointed.
I hear the council members and reps are singing its praises on the scgb forum.

I thought at least Gerry's kilt might give the lift the event required? Wink
latest report
I am probably being too harsh on them. They can't please all the people all of the time. It is just that our table felt it was a bit downmarket and they had expected it to be 'grander' than it was. I felt awkward as they had stumped up £180 per couple and thought the evening to be poor value. I'm not being cowardly and just putting my comments here. I am going to write to the SCGB as well.
latest report
Beverley, reading this from across the other side of the continent I’m curious why you went and what you expected of it?
snow report
Hello ise. I had been to one 4 years previously and it had (or seemed to have) a more special feeling about it. This time it would have been nice to be given slightly more than half a glass of warm fizzy, a decent band to dance to and, perhaps, a little more to eat that 2 tiny potatoes and a small slice of warm goats cheese on a lettuce leaf as my main course. Oh, and not to be tripped up by a drunken man sitting on the floor as you came out of the ladies! rolling eyes Hey ho.

Anyway, enough. Switzerland just happens to be my all time favourite place (honest) whether its summer or winter. I would like to spend a week or two out of ski season just travelling around on your wonderful trains. Very Happy
ski holidays
Beverly maybe you should join the DHO, currently we have a rather fun evening being planned for February, a Black Tie event to be held at the top of the mountain with a specially arranged cable car to and from the event Laughing
snow report
Excuse the lack of brain cells, but what is the DHO? Puzzled
snow conditions
Beverley, the DownHill Only club
latest report
D'oh! Embarassed
snow report
Quote:

D'oh!
Wouldn't that be 'Down only hill' club?
ski holidays
As found in Wengen Switzerland snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy