Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Photos added - caption needed!! - Flachau Trip Report - Half-Term 2014

Poster: A snowHead
Well the car is packed - we appear to have space Shocked (hoping nothing is forgotten!). Looking at the weather for the ferries our Oct '13 chunnel booking for the very early hours of tomorrow seems entirely useful (hoping everyone on ferries gets away OK). Just some sarnies to sort out and the DVD player to put into the car and that should be us ready to go. Destination Flachau sometime late tomorrow - long drive ahead from the early hours of tomorrow morning Sad , but it should get us there Smile . Will top up this thread with a trip report over the coming week, assuming we get there OK. Hoping all half-termers have a safe journey and good skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-03-14 14:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a wonderful time! Safe journey. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

we appear to have space

very kind of you to offer but sadly i cant get time off work snowHead wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have you been to Flachau before Megamum??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, She certainly has ..it's her 3rd visit wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have a safe trip. Leave some Amade snow for us. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, holidayloverxx, has it correct, we stay in a lovely apartment there wink and self-cater. It's the first time we've done the trip without a night stop-over, so on such a long journey fairly vital for the boredom factor for the kids that the DVD works. This afternoon's capers:

Went to install DVD at 2pm
Plugged in DVD to main cigarette lighter socket as I can't reach the extension box. Doesn't work, unplug DVD, realise that the cigarette lighter plug end has goosed itself to the point that a repair this side of holiday is not possible. Only possible scenario is new unit quick.
Decide to phone local Tesco to see if they have a unit in stock - mobile phone with number on is flat, mains adapter is packed, decide to plug into car charger (cigarette socket), plug in charger and get a shower of orange sparks - and main cigarette socket is deader than a Dodo - we use a satnav out of preference. Socket in back of car is still functional, but won't reach the DVD.
Agonised about which direction to travel in decide on Maldon.
Local car shop sold long cigarette socket extension lead and I quizzed him on the orange sparks and got agreement that a fuse was worth a try - he sold a mixed pack of fuses - 'did I need big ones or small ones' for £4.30 a pack I got one of each!! Then on a hunch I decide to try local Tesco for a DVD Player (they had told me when I got through that they didn't have one). It didn't have huge screens, but for £75.00 and a make shift solution a Tesco own brand one which WAS in stock sufficed Very Happy
Back home, FraserP tracked down the rogue fuse and voila we finally had it all up and running just as it got dark!! However, we could have managed without the aggrevation!!

Now all we are concerned about is finding a route across to a dual carriageway round about midnight which avoids the locally flooded roads which at the moment are numerous - Looking at a 10 mile detour at the moment to stay dry!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum , AKA Sparky wink
Quote:

decide to plug into car charger (cigarette socket), plug in charger and get a shower of orange sparks - and main cigarette socket is deader than a Dodo
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, Well the Flachau slopes were in good nick when I was there just over 2 weeks ago. I think the G Link cable car linking the Flachau and Wagrain slopes was new this year - was it there when you were there last season?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink, it's new this season.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia, Yup! It will be our first chance to try it. Very Happy Alastair Pink, We are crossing fingers for decent snow and not so much rain in the valley.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum,
Safe driving and good snow. snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder how we managed to go anywhere with kids without DVD players?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, There are plenty of things you can do on a journey with kids and we do loads of them, but when you are up to about 12-14 hours on the road, a few hours quiet with the occasional squeal of laughter as they watch is worth it's weight in gold. We would manage without them - indeed we did for many years, but they are a brilliant invention. I once got stuck for many, many hours on the A500 on a trip back from Anglesey (all other routes blocked) and when you looked into the family cars around us, it was evident from the expressions of the parents which ones had DVD's in the back seats even before we spotted them. Even now they don't use them for the whole journey, but they are just another alternative from books, I-spy, car cricket etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, yes, I'm sure they're great - I'm just jealous that we had to do without! We used to enjoy audio books; the Sheep Pig kept the whole family entertained on one of our frequent trips from Scotland to the south. They will sleep through the night though, presumably?
snow report
As a kid, if I did anything in a car other than sit very still and stare straight ahead like a zombie, I was sick. Skullie Skullie Car journeys to the Alps every summer were a total nightmare.
Have a good hol, Megamum, and stay safe on the roads.
snow report
Pedantica, my OH and the two boys could read in the car - I've never been able to, and neither has my daughter. I used to envy their ability to zone out.
latest report
Pedantica, you're still like that now !
ski holidays
bladeskier, not quite as bad! I still can't read, though, not even on a bus (though I can on a train.)
ski holidays
Pedantica wrote:
As a kid, if I did anything in a car other than sit very still and stare straight ahead like a zombie, I was sick. Skullie Skullie Car journeys to the Alps every summer were a total nightmare.
Have a good hol, Megamum, and stay safe on the roads.

Same here and pretty much still same now I need to look out the window pretty much constantly.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
I wonder how we managed to go anywhere with kids without DVD players?

We managed, but we just arrived in foul moods...

I can only sing Girl Scout songs for so many hours...then my voice is gone.
snow conditions
The snow is still good. Had over a foot a few days ago, but it's also still pretty warm, great conditions.
snow conditions
A12 winds 'interesting' Skullie
M25 clear so far. Winds just as interesting!
QE II Bridge closed, southbound tunnel at a stand still.
Now moving again
latest report
Never seen the tunnel so quiet
ski holidays
Arrived Flachau 18:20.
Family now unpacked, fed, showered and, other than myself, sound asleep! Light weights! wink
snow report
FraserP, Hope you all enjoy your Flachau week. I look forward to some trip reports from the minimums in due course..... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
FraserP, glad you got there safely and at a reasonable time. Gut ski and looking forward to the trip reports snowHead
latest report
First day skiing! Woo hoo! It snowed, we ate chicken and ribs with chips for lunch, and then had Kaiserschmarrn for dessert. It was DELICIOUS! Very Happy

To the snow and ski report:

At the very top of the mountain it was really nice because it was snowing quite heavily and was almost powder-like, but at the bottom it was raining and the snow became slushy. As well as there being nice snow at the top, at the beginning of the day the snow was smooth and there were no moguls, however nearer the end of the day the slopes became porridge-like and big slushy moguls started to appear. Inbetween these porridge moguls were little patches of ice which caught Minimum_2 and I unawares,but apart from that it was really nice skiing weather. A tad blizzardy at times, but otherwise really nice. We also went on the G-link and did the Graffenberg run. It was a really nice slope and not bumpy at all. The visability was good and it was a really nice run.

So overall it was a very good first day, and to top it all off it is snowing now too! snowHead

Anyway, will try to write most evenings, unless I'm tied down with homework so hopefully I will have time to write another ski report again tomorrow!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Minimum_1, glad you enjoyed your first day, sounds great snowHead
snow conditions
Minimum_1, so, apart from the blizzard, the rain, the big slushy moguls and patches of ice, it was a good day. wink I see you started with the day's food - got your priorities right. Need to keep skiers well fed. Hope you have lots of lovely fresh snow tomorrow and look forward to your next report. snowHead
snow conditions
My turn now!

I don't know about the others, but we got unpacked last night and I just died, I felt that spaced out that I could have conversed with mythical aliens with very little effort!. However, I got a reasonable night's sleep and I think everyone else did too and we set out this morning. Have relieved the local shop of ski poles and gloves for Minimum_2 at reasonable cost. Went to the top of the local hill via Achterjet and chair lift and skied to the Auhofalm for gluwein at that time it was very hard and cobbly' underfoot and someone had hurty knee syndrome despite a skiing mojo, hence the stop, then tried the G-link across. Took the immediate chair lift up at the other side and skied a rather flattering wide run back down. Probably skied that as well as I have ever skied anything Toofy Grin In fact I actually reached a point where the speed I was doing was significantly outside my comfort zone and I found myself at the point of ‘I hope to God I don’t have to stop suddenly’!! Shocked - snow was in great nick over there at around 10:45 would have gone and done it again, but we knew we were aiming at the Auhofalm for lunch so went back across. Will def. go over again for a longer explore - the lift map suggests that we can go some distance over there. We took the Flying Mozart all the way up and then back down to the Auhofalm for munch, then decided to ski all the way down - the snow was variable, getting softer as we went down, but I've skied far worse and even at the bottom in the very early afternoon it was reasonably OK - quite quiet on the bottom half. Back up the top again and decided to ski to the bottom of the Achterjet at around 2.30pm. The snow was OK until the bottom drag - the bit you can see from the lift station. By then the precipitation was quite rain like and it was doing soft, slushy mound-y yuckiness, we were glad we didnt leave it any later. The kids went back up and played at the top for the rest of the afternoon and finally rode the gondola down as the bottom was getting really heavy and they were both feeling their legs (both on new longer skis this trip), but we grown-ups decamped to the bar once we were down the first time Very Happy

Weather wise something has come down most of the day, for about 2 hours before dark it rained at the bottom, but is now snowing with wet snow, we came back soaking wet and everything is currently drying. Best snow was when we hit Grafenberg. (Edit 'cos I cant spell - I also gave wrong spelling to the kids Embarassed )

Spag Bol . for dinner this evening! Come on you snow!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 16-02-14 21:56; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Minimum_1, nice snowHead
ski holidays
Hello snowHead! This is my version of parts of the day.
At the start of the day we got up at about 7ish and went to the Achterjet (which was very busy). At the top it was a bit foggy but further down it was better apart from the ice. At one point we rode the G-Link to graffenburg skied a bit and then came back to Flachau. It also snowed but nearer the bottom it was more rain than snow. As well as all this I did a rather spectacular fall which sent one ski and both poles flying but I got up alright!
snow conditions
Minimum_2, glad to hear you are OK. are you having lessons this year?
snow report
holidayloverxx, yes Minimum_1 and I are sharing private lessons tomorrow morning and Wednesday morning and I believe our instructor's called John.
ski holidays
It may be worth asking for tips on sking bumps. Hope to catch up with you mid week. Tomorrow is a bit of a powder day high up.

Megamum, it's worth going right across to Alpendorf, only takes a couple of hours.
snow report
Megamum, yes, agree with Avalanche Poodle, get across early, ski to Alpendorf, work your way back lunching perhaps at the Kristeralm. If you are using the G-Link we found you need to be there at 3.15 at the latest to make sure you can get back up the Flying Mozart and ski down to the Achterjet if you want to download (assumes last lift is 16:00)
ski holidays
Hello again! Today we had our lesson. We skied mostly on the back of the mountain even though it was very bumpy there Shocked.I fell over a grand total of 5 times (the snow snakes were at me) while Minimum_1, didn't fall over at all. We had a fresh snow fall and at the top the depth of snow was about 5-6 inches, it was great to ski on in the morning but as the day went by it got sticky like glue.

For lunch we had tiroler groestl, chicken and chips and ribs and chips plus for dessert we had kaiserschmarrn.

On Wednesday we’ll have our instructor again and if the weather’s good we might go over to Alpendorf with him Very Happy.
snow conditions
Minimum_2, That is a lot of lunch! I love tiroler groestl - not sure I could eat kaiserschmarrn after that!
snow conditions
Hi, now you'll hear from Minimum_1 !

Today we went out and skied around the back half of the mountain, and to begin with the visability was poor as it was snowing! Lots of snow! In the end we got around 5-6 inches at the top of the slope which was really nice to ski on first thing in the morning. We even got fresh tracks! However as the day progressed the snow in places started to stick to our skis causing our skis to stop and then go. (This was only in places). Other than this the snow conditions were fairly nice for the majority of the day.
Minimum_2 and I also had our first lesson with the ski instructor and he went really fast! We went on piste and also went and had some fun in the deep powder snow just off piste. However we didn't go far because it would've been dangerous with the fresh snow over the icy hard snow. We had a lot of fun and have another lesson on Wednesday too.

Anyway, will try and write again tomorrow, but yet again I may have to do homework. "Boring!"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy