Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change in La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Claude B, Went to Col d'Ornon last week. Absolutely brilliant day spent doing laps of the unpisted black that was more than knee deep in powder. Quite busy though, there were more than 2 people in front of me at one time Toofy Grin
Be careful about your timing though, I am not sure how long they will stay open for now that the french holidays are finished.
Let me know when you are thinking of Alpe d'Huez, I am there 12th April on.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should have added, La Grave is on my list, maybe this easter........
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not the most flattering picture of offpisteskiing:

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:
ALQ,
Quote:

while you're young!!
While I'm WHAT???!!!!! rolling eyes Laughing

Laughing Laughing
Well, time waits for no man!
So start training now coz that's your new target...La Grave 2015.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dooooh just bothered to read it and see it's written by "Kelley"

She and her husband (doing the season) were on the week long avalanche course I did back in January, and we were all in a group (six) for the duration of the course, and could she ask questions Shocked

Ironic thing was that she did not do the exams final day* rolling eyes

Have bumped into them a couple of times when I've been back over, in fact this week in the Castillian (her office).

*Evidently had to go off and cover some ski race
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

http://youtube.com/v/Jw8MOGHIZkc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skitow, Yes I remember you went last February when we were there. I'm supposed to be going over with easiski so it will be a Wednesday afternoon, after the french holidays I think they revert to Sundays and Wednesday afternoon only.

I'll certainly come over in April will be in touch, hoping to meet with Nick D too. If you fancy a day at L2A give me a shout also..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
altis, blimey that's a blast from the past - still have those 1080s gathering dust in the garage but haven't skied them for years & years!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well as I suspected that article has not gone down to well in La Grave.

I also thought it was not like my mate Per As to give an opinion like that as the politics of a little commune can be quite hard work.

This morning I went ski touring with one La Grave "ancien" character, and he basically said it's a load of bollox, and I commented that I thought it strange Per would have sanctioned it.

After a great tour we ended back at the Lautaret and we were joined by a couple of other La Grave residents, one of whom was still fuming about the piece, twas Per's wife.

Although the article was well written and highlighted the issues, Per was not happy about being quoted etc

There are other factors as well, the election for the new mayor is in three weeks time, and various candidates have different view points about the lift and what should be done.

You might have sensed from my previous thread that young Kelley is not exactly someone I would send a friend request to on FaceBook, not too sure how popular she will be in La Grave for the rest of the season now after that piece.

Though again it might cause some people to think long and hard about the future, and majority of journalists to have a tendency to upset people rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
horizon, I look forward to hearing how it went. And skiing it with you in 2015. What it is like depends so much on what the guides feel is safe on any given week. La Voute is spectacular http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/verbier/VerbierRoadTripLaGraveDay2.shtml, but there are many others just as or more difficult.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam, I don't get it. While it's shabby journalism to quote people without permission, the article is nothing more than a outside non-critical summary for an international audience of the myriad politics/issues that affect small French mountain towns. And there is no denying it's a very special "resort" for the keenest of skiers, without equal in the world so legitimate cause of interest.

Maybe it's because the locals don't like the attention being put on them and the prospect of a Mountain Riders Alliance or some other mob rolling up and crapping all over their pet dreams ( or hope of a regional govt dole out) or worse someone who'd like to broaden La Grave's appeal and "develop" stuff. Or is it a fear of outsiders? Hardly I'd have thought given everyone who has establised themseleves there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Building a new cable car (and drag-lift: they are doing without the lower one at the moment - dragging people up with a piste basher) will be a major undertaking and it isn't obvious where the money can come from. The present one is only kept going by dint of classing it as of Historic Importance (or some such category) - otherwise French safety regulations would have closed it years ago.
They really should make an international appeal for money. I'd contribute.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fatbob wrote:
Weathercam, I don't get it. While it's shabby journalism to quote people without permission, the article is nothing more than a outside non-critical summary for an international audience of the myriad politics/issues that affect small French mountain towns.

^ if you live in such a town I guess you don't want to get involved in the local politics. Especially as a foreign outsider.

Whilst the telepherique itself may not make money every winter it is clearly essential for the entire town and brings visitors in. For this reason I am almost certain it will stay open : come 2017 perhaps with some kind of grant / EU or local commune funding? Until push comes to shove then the French locals with influence will argue about who should be contributing funds, and also takes legal liability in event of accidents on the mountain. Any idle talk of lift closure (just now) is probably simply a political card to suggest the responsibility should be transferred elsewhere Wink

As long as La Grave remains the way it is then there will always be a background question of long term sustainability.
Where else in the world can you ski 2100m vertical with <100 people on the hill ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Where else in the world can you ski 2100m vertical with <100 people on the hill ?

The days with less than a 100 ski passes sold must be pretty rare. That said I've skied a number of big resorts near the end of the season where they have sold about that number of lift passes in a day (after asking at the LP office in the evening).

What happens if the lift closes? People have been skiing the vallons since the 1920s so I guess they will still be skied. Here's a little story, in 1946 Pierre and Auguste set off from their workshop in St Etienne on Friday evening to cycle to la Grave which they reached on Saturday, they skinned and skied the Vallons returning to their bikes on Sunday to cycle through the day and night for work on Monday morning.

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/way-back-when/

and since the lift to the glacier at les 2 Alpes was built people have been skiind down the vallons to take a taxi back to LDA. Life goes on.

Interestingly Courchevel is suffering similar problems to la Grave on a grander scale. Courchevel now has such a reputation as a Russian hell-hole they have trouble attracting other nationalities. As a consequence lift pass sales have dropped from 2 to 1.8 million over the last decade.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Until push comes to shove then the French locals with influence will argue about who should be contributing funds, and also takes legal liability in event of accidents on the mountain. Any idle talk of lift closure (just now) is probably simply a political card to suggest the responsibility should be transferred elsewhere Wink

Pretty much what I would guess. The rest is just some outsider 1st rule of gnar club type stuff and a jour no who thinks that just because there is a stack of grot mags somewhere in Objectif that the locals aren't turned on to internet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy