Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change in La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
La Grave’s days may be numbered. Come 2017, the lease on the Telepherique is up for renewal and, at the moment, no one has stepped forward to take it over, which means the lift might stop running in three short years.

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/end-la-grave-know/

Anyone a bit more local know anything more about this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There has been rumours about La Grave financial viability for as long as I can remember.
Clearly the original lift wont last forever.

All through the early 2000s the rumor was that Les 2 Alpes wanted to buy the Telepherique and put a red piste down either valley. However the locals consistently refused to sell out. Plus the rugged nature of the terrain and risk of serac fall from La Meije didn't exactly promote development. In more recent years Les 2 Alpe's has apparently realised that having La Grave as an off piste mecca next door is a real asset to their ski domain. So 3 or 4 years ago they even helped pay to replace the cable on the Telepherique.

My understanding is that the current owner of the lift operations is getting old (age 79) so wont be renewing the lease. A combination of legal cases, legislation and local politics haven't helped the situation - plus the profits due to low skier numbers are small. No doubt there is a little uncertainty : However none of this is really anything new. From speaking to locals when we there at New Year the hope and plan seems to be that some kind of local co-operative, perhaps subsidised by local government, will take over in 2017.

If the town was a busy well oiled commercial success then it simply wouldn't be La Grave Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh how I wish I skied well enough to be able to take advantage of such a magical place. Long may it survive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mmm. La Grave has been on the bucket list for some time; my dance card is pretty full this year but I'll make a point of going there next season. Just in case.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Here is a bit more history of the ski area

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0824-la-grave-celebrates-30th-anniversary/

They have a difficult product to sell.

The area is quite a long way from big towns, Grenoble being the nearest. So it only tends to attract day trippers at the weekends and runs under capacity during the week (this is what Dennis Creissels told me). Bad weather, avalanche risk etc can effect its profitability. The main slopes get skied out in a morning which leaves a lot of much more serious terrain where you really need a guide and skiing skills and acceptance of risk beyond most holiday skiers. Once the main runs are scrapled they are not great to ski. It has a bit of reputation as being ski bum central, which might put off punters coming over during the week from Serre Che and les Deux Alpes. Given that it sits between two CDA (aka Cancer des Alpes Very Happy ) resorts it is possible they will absorb the area but it doesn't really fit their profile of easy, aseptic skiing. Creissels is also difficult to work with and may have put off some investors in the town.

They changed the cable on the lift not so long ago so there shouldn't be a huge amount of maintenance, it is a very simple lift to operate. The Grenoble city center cable car runs on the same system so I don't buy the "if it breaks down they are bejiggered" line. Creissels says the lift has a design life of around 50-60 years which takes you to around 2030-2040.

The market has also changed a bit. Back in the day if you wanted to ski O.P. you went to la Grave or Chamonix. These days there is a lot more information, Grenoble skiers would probably just head up to one of the local resorts rather than the trek up the Romanche valley. Locally ski touring the mountains surrounding Grenoble has taken over from the attractions of la Grave. As a case in point I live an hours drive from la Grave but haven't skied there since the 1990s. Other people who maybe skied 6 days in the past now just go up a couple of times.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 6-03-14 11:28; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
this makes me want to book a trip for next year... which in turn makes me wonder whether it is an elaborate marketing ruse by Pelle Lang Twisted Evil

seems like a perfect candidate for a co-op. can't be beyond the wit of the french legal system to set it up in a way which insulates liability from the investors Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pedantica wrote:
Oh how I wish I skied well enough to be able to take advantage of such a magical place. Long may it survive.
You do. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, and another unfulfillable wish of mine is to be able to ski well enough, and be fit enough, to ski with you!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and some more:-

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0909-la-grave-trouble-in-paradise/

as Haggis says, rumours of its demise have been doing the round since it opened!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, well, if Lindsey Vonn is not up to it then the rest of us stand no chance Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, not from what I've seen/heard!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis, isn't she? Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
altis wrote:
Well, if Lindsey Vonn is not up to it then the rest of us stand no chance Wink

She certainly isn't at the moment, thats for sure.

But I stand by what I said about Lindsey and to correct Altis I specifically said I would ski with Lindsey.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pedantica, I can't find the thread. Perhaps davidof can point you to it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 6-03-14 11:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, ah. Thanks. And ditto!
ski holidays
Pedantica, You'd be fine Happy Pam W, welshskier and I got down it with easiski in January OK. Obviously by the "tourist" route and taking our time. I first skied down in 2009 when I hadn't skied that much at all.
latest report
Claude B,
Quote:

got down it with easiski

Well, yes, but my unfulfillable aspirations are higher than that!
snow report
davidof wrote:
as Haggis says, rumours of its demise have been doing the round since it opened!

^ Good article (relevant to the first Powder Mag link).
Off piste skiing has become much more popular in the last decade.
Certainly since I first visited La Grave in 2002 I think its has become a little busier.
Though the magical vibe still remains.

From speaking to the 50-60 year old local Swedish ski bums it sounds like LG was totally deserted during the 1980s and early 1990s. The lift was designed for sight seeing (not skiers) and apparently used to remain closed during until mid February. It wasn't until Pelle Lang persuaded some ski journalists and ski films to visit that Vallee X became known as a ski destination. But it has never been mainstream, popular or commercially viable.
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
this makes me want to book a trip for next year... which in turn makes me wonder whether it is an elaborate marketing ruse by Pelle Lang Twisted Evil

even better, join the four of us on 22-29 March for a guided week.

The four of us being exactly the same Chile crew from three years ago.

You know you want to.

(Edit: for clarification, we get a real guide this time, not the promises of Drew)
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:

wot RachelQ says. If I can do it, you bloody well can too !!
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
Pedantica wrote:

wot RachelQ says. If I can do it, you bloody well can too !!

Thirded

You ski better than I do (or seem to at Inside Out), I've been there 4 times on the SOPiB's mainly skiing the classic routes. You'd do just fine.

And it is a magical place Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Sadly La Grave is not on my bucket list, but on my coffin list - 50 things to do as I die
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

betterinblack, you haven't seen me off-piste! Skullie
snow report
Pedantica, Listen to betterinblack, Hells Bells, Claude B, RachelQ and JUST DO IT...while you're young!!
ski holidays
Pedantica, you could definitely do it, and easiski would be the best person to do it with - not with an ESF guide like the chap who whisked is (very good) group past us twice.

On2Off next year?
snow report
Obviously conditions vary a great deal. The day we did it (perfect weather) Charlotte said the skiing conditions were quite difficult, compared to when lots of skiers have turned it almost into a piste (and the bottom tree/mogully bit had only very thin snow cover). No doubt it's sometimes harder, sometimes easier - you need a guide who is going to keep you going, but not overdo it. Charlotte gets it exactly right.
ski holidays
horizon, starting a new job on 18th then off to Norway on 1 April; so La Grave as well may be a step too far!
have fun though
edit: with no Drew to liven things up, i hope you find something for Alex to mumble darkly about wink
snow report
Pedantica wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing

betterinblack, you haven't seen me off-piste! Skullie

but I have. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:

seems like a perfect candidate for a co-op. can't be beyond the wit of the french legal system to set it up in a way which insulates liability from the investors Puzzled

+ 1 on the co-op, I'd be easy down for a £100/150 "membership" just on the basis of past good times and you hit the ski bum population worldwide with it, for many it might be tick-list trip they were hoping to achieve in the future. Cost of a new lift though could be astronomical - would have been a far better investment of BoJo's London council taxpayer cash then that Airways gash (& probably more Londoners would ride it annually)
snow report
Pedantica could easily do it, particularly with easiski (though language might be something to behold if the P1 traverse is in its usual sporting state) wink
snow conditions
As Haggis_Trap, says these rumours have been going round for ages.

I've been going there since 97 and in that time have made a few good friends who live there, Robin & Marlon for instance who run the Hotel Edelweiss (I do their website), plus Per As a local guide (do his site as well) and every now and again the issue comes up and no one really knows the whole story.

Few years back the lift was shut for a week and we went over from Deux Alpes and more or less had it to ourselves as we were ski touring over there.

And today we've been touring and met up with another La Grave character I've known since 97 and without obvious knowledge of this thread I mentioned how skied out LG was when we were there yesterday, and he too agreed that it gets skied out far faster than a few years ago and we talked about that week the lift was shut and how maybe that's the way to go if no one buys it etc Cool

That said in a few weeks time it hopefully (with some fresh snow) will be less busy and hardly anyone going up, in the meantime it's glorious touring weather Madeye-Smiley

And zoomed in - this is the Vallon de Combeynot (North facing) and snow was cold powder and whilst we were having lunch at Lautaret we watched a couple of groups lay those tracks down (you can see the climbing lines).

Though we opted for a route (with the dogs) up to the Col du Galibier (can't go on that side as it's National park and dogs not allowed) and we did experience just about every type of snow rolling eyes but much more of an adventure getting up there Cool

Will post more photos later of dogs laying down tracks too Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap wrote:
davidof wrote:

^ Good article (relevant to the first Powder Mag link).

Interesting how close some of the phrases are in the PowderMag article, like an echo snowHead
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
Pedantica could easily do it, particularly with easiski (though language might be something to behold if the P1 traverse is in its usual sporting state) wink

Laughing Laughing My language was indeed choice.
latest report
We didn't do the P1 traverse - we got the lift down from the bottom station, which saved the walk down into the bottom of the valley and up the other side, carrying skis.
snow conditions
pam w, That was P1, at 1800m. We were going to traverse to P2 but got too low.
latest report
ALQ,
Quote:

while you're young!!
While I'm WHAT???!!!!! rolling eyes Laughing

fatbob,
Quote:

though language might be something to behold
Oh dear, does that mean I've sworn in your presence? Embarassed

pam w,
Quote:

On2Off next year?
Not sure. I'm scared of easiski - her reputation goes before her!
snow report
Quote:

I'm scared of easiski

You needn't be! Claude B, ah, OK, thanks - my geography of La Grave is lacking. But I don't remember a traverse to P1 - we went through those trees? Is there another route?
When are you back out? Going to have another go - without having to slow down to act as backstop for me?
ski holidays
pam w, Setting out next Friday Happy You?

That was no problem. If Charlotte has another trip over I'll see if I can tag along. Doing a few other day trips too, Col D'Ornon, Alpe de Grande Serre, Serre Chevalier and Montgenevre, possibly Puy St Vincent. Alpe D'Huez too for at least a couple of days.

I've only ever done that route at LG.
latest report
The good thing about the traverse back to P2 is that if you are with a boarder who is making the snow look easy on his wide board you have your revenge on the traverse. They hate it.
snow conditions
setting out on Thursday, Claude B, really looking forward to getting back to the mountains.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy