Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Baqueira-Beret Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

We're off to Baqueira-Beret soon, I've seen a couple of good trip reports but they were from a few years ago. Can anybody share any info about the ski area?

If the snow's still good we're hoping to explore the off piste. The piste map has a number of patrolled itineraries, is there much more easily accessible? I don't think we'll be able to stretch to heli-skiing but will probably hire a guide, has anyone used the british ski school out there?

Any other tips about the mountain or the village would be gratefully received.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I spent the last two seasons in Baqueira and the surrounding resorts, so I know it pretty well! It's a decent-sized resort with a nice variety of pistes, divided into three quite distinct sectors. Beret is mellow, with a few steeper pistes up on the Dossau and Barlongueta mountains; Baqueira is the main face going down to the village, and is generally the busiest sector; and Bonaigua is the wilder, less frequented area - and IMO the most beautiful part.

It's a haven for intermediate-level off piste because almost all of the resort is skiable and interesting; though the same risks apply as they do anywhere else. The rumour is that it's run on North American terms, with the whole thing controlled - making it possibly unique in Europe; but I've never actually had that confirmed by anyone, and I saw a number of side-country avalanches. There's a lot of descents where I wouldn't go without the avvy kit. On the other hand, unlike in some of the more Sunday-skier--oriented resorts in the Pyrenees, the pisteurs are visible, helpful and knowledgeable, and will advise (and advise against).

The itineraries are controlled, though some are sufficiently long and remote that personally I wouldn't go unequipped in any case (though many people do, and I'm on the more cautious end of the scale!). Escornacrabes, which goes off the back of the top of the Baqueira mountain, is a classic - though it's not as hard as legend (and first sight) has it. There are some more genuinely gnarly descents down that same north face where you really do have to have your wits about you. The valley you enter is sort of hidden from the rest of the resort, and is beautiful. Barlongueta is mellow but fun, where you usually get a whole mountain to yourself. Gerber in Bonaigua is peaceful and rugged; the Peulla mountain that the Bonaigua runs sit on commands a bit of respect and can be quite avalanchy... it might look harmless enough, but local knowledge is a must because it seems that it's always the same aspects all across the face that slide. So when you're there and have got your bearings, I'll explain exactly which ones they are.

But there is loads of other easily-accessed and easily-seen off-piste too. A lots is easier yet testing; it was a wonderful place to progress from basic-level off-piste that most snowboarders muck about with to some reasonably serious stuff that requires brain engagement and skill development.

On the other end of the scale, if you hire a guide there are some mythical runs (some of which used to be itineraries) such as down to hidden villages (Bagergue, Montgarri) at the Beret end, and around the back of Bonaigua ("Lo Boscas") - none of which are places to go without someone who knows their way around, unless you're very happy with route-finding. The British school you mentioned comes well recommended, though I haven't used it myself.

Baqueira village is probably the least interesting of the Aran valley - you must take the time to explore the area, to eat tapas in Arties, stroll around Vielha, etc. I highly recommend having dinner at the Casa Vall de Montgarri which involves a decent walk or the use of their snowmobiles to get there.

Any questions, either before or during the trip, just ask! Also check out last year's Pyrenees snow report thread.

Welcome to the Pyrenees! Just don't tell anyone about it afterwards wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Some pics from a couple of weeks I spent there back in 2010. I'm a regular visitor to the valley and worked in British Ski School over a few seasons. Tim who runs the school has hooked up with a local guide and I recall seeing some pics of the fabled run down to Montgarri, one I've yet to try. The run down to Bagergue is an excellent adventure but it's out of bounds country and best done with a guide.

Oh. and Tim can sort Heli Skiing wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1494016&highlight=baqueira#1494016
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Brilliant, it sounds ideal. Thanks for the info, I'm really looking forward to going!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was there last weekend. Excellent for a mixed group as we found plenty to do inbetween the pistes, which meant we could always meet back up at the lifts.
Also those who did want to ski a full day could wait in the Moet Winter Lounge with a glass or two at the end of the day.

Go pro for Xmas so an edit of our couple of days.
https://vimeo.com/88279355
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mortonia, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Nice debut!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mortonia, welcome to snowHeads! I see you enjoyed the north face of Argulls - a favourite of mine too. The snow is somehow always great there! I'd love to know how you felt Baqueira compares to other resorts you've visited.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Baqueria has become a bit of an annual trip for us now, this being the 3rd year we stayed for a long weekend with friends from the UK. I have to say it’s a bit of a gem.

From a skiing point of view it has something for everyone. As I mentioned previously, perfect for mixed groups with skier/boarders who like to be able to hop off the side, but still meet up at the lifts with the guys who like to stay on the pistes.

There is definitely some challenging terrain there and next time we visit I’ll be looking for a guide to explore further afield. As for the piste skiing, it certainly compares well many resorts in the Alps, in terms of number of Kms, lift service, and piste preparation.

The mountain restaurants can be a busy at peak times and food choices a little limited, but the Moet Winter Lounge certainly has that Alpine après ski buzz to it.

So far, we have stayed in La Pleta (http://www.lapleta.com/en/), which is very comfortable (also for skiing wifes it has an excellent spa). However, having had dinner down in Arties this time I would be tempted to stay there, even with the drive/bus up to the skiing, as there seems to be more going on in the evenings.

So in summary, and being based near Toulouse, Baqueria and all of the skiing in the Pyrenees is completely rubbish, and if I were you I’d stick to the Alps ! Little Angel Little Angel

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 8-03-14 8:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Watch out for strange locals:

http://tu.tv/videos/telemark-galindash
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it best to stay in Baqueira or Beret?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pyremaniac wrote:
Quote:

if you hire a guide there are some mythical runs (some of which used to be itineraries) such as down to hidden villages (Bagergue, Montgarri) at the Beret end, and around the back of Bonaigua ("Lo Boscas")

so they don't really exist...? Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy