Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Places (for buying) with lakes aswell as mountains

Poster: A snowHead
boardiac, freezing cold
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnE, will probably be even colder after all of the extra snow they dumped in it last month.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mbeaney wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=zell+am+see+immobilien

Google search for agents in Zell above, note that many of these properties will have usage restrictions on them but this will not be mentioned in the property notes on websites, you will have to contact the agent to find out.

As for price it can vary greatly depending on location, age of property, and usage restrictions.

I wouldn't trust the agent alone - for certainty you need to talk to the Gemeinde
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. look great, now I just need to persuade the missus we need to move!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
mbeaney wrote:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=zell+am+see+immobilien

Google search for agents in Zell above, note that many of these properties will have usage restrictions on them but this will not be mentioned in the property notes on websites, you will have to contact the agent to find out.

As for price it can vary greatly depending on location, age of property, and usage restrictions.

I wouldn't trust the agent alone - for certainty you need to talk to the Gemeinde

Could not agree with this more, as I sad previously getting this confirmation was the longest and most complicated part of the purchase process
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There is a small place in Italy, Turin way, that alwYs used to be on the webcams. Damned if I can find it. It had a small ski area and was on an idillic lake. I alwAys thought it was a good place to end your days. It had kind of a religious name I think. Someone who knows the area might help. Weather sum seems to know a lot about down that way. Of course it may have been nearer Milan also........sorry can't be more help. I will keep looking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frankly, I would have thought that the scope for swimming in Alpine lakes is pretty limited. Much more rewarding might be access to thermal resorts. This would mean Switzerland. Thermal resorts aren't all about expensive pampering - the largest one in Switzerland is the Bains de Saillon, which is a much more family-oriented place with three large pools and an outdoor 'Thermal River' feature, but still with the 'Wellness' offerings. Take a look at

http://www.bainsdesaillon.ch/en/

We have a small apartment in a satellite of Verbier. Frankly, after ten years, we're beginning to enjoy the summers more than the winters: the main lifts run July-August and can carry mountain bikes. There are plenty of walks, obviously, but also more moderate type cycling routes as well:

http://www.tdmf.ch/intro/en/index.php

Plus a diversity of thermal resorts like Saillon. And we can also use the place as a base for 1 and 2-day excursions to NE Switzerland, the Italian lakes, and France.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Frankly, after ten years, we're beginning to enjoy the summers more than the winters:

I don't enjoy summers more than winters, but certainly just as much (and autumn too...)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
msej449, Well, Flachau has 2 small lakes especially for swimming, plus the Therme at Altenmarkt...but the lakes are pretty cold!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We used to go camping in the Salzkammergut, when I was a teenager and very keen on swimming. I doubt I'd swim in the lakes now but I've been spoiled by years spent in the tropics. The water in the Austrian lakes, and in Lake Annecy and Lac du Bourget in France are warmer than Cornwall in summer.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Frankly, I would have thought that the scope for swimming in Alpine lakes is pretty limited.

Well it's very popular around Zell am See and Saalfelden, and much of the rest of Salzburgerland. Zell has a lido, with a 'beach' area, volleyball, changing rooms and showers, café, etc - everything you'd expect to see at an outdoor pool. Similar facilities at the various campsites around the lake. Just outside Saalfelden is a small lake which has hardly any facilities (people just turn up and jump in) and a separate area for naturists.

Re: buying a property in/around Zell. The agents can be economical with the info that they provide, particularly prone to missing out important bits such as rental status. Prices are calculated pr. sq. m, so they do everything to make apartments appear larger than they are, so a 45 m2 apartment might only be 36 m2 of floor space, plus 6 m2 of balcony that is of limited use in the winter if it faces north, plus 3 m2 of 'storage room' in the cellar.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
msej449, are you suggesting that there only Switzerland has thermal springs and the associated spa facilities? Shocked Shocked WOW that means I've been conned into thinking that the waters I swim in in Bavaria, Salzburgerland and Tirol, amongst other places were 34°C and full of good mineral salts! Laughing

Back to the original poster: a little bit out of left field, but if you look into the area of lakes and mountains of south-east Bavaria you will find a) you get much more for your money, b) you are not tied to any one area for our skiing and c) perhaps an even better rental return outside of the ski season.

I swim and sail in the Chiemsee all through summer - swimming costs nothing as all the bathing areas are free. I ski in Bavaria, Salzburgerland and Tirol in winter, selecting my locations according to conditions and crowds. A province-wide ski pass for the season gives me a huge degree of flexibility. The tourist infrastructure is extensive and the support for tourism opportunities is more pro-active meaning fewer restrictions on usage. The mainland Europeans are used to driving to resorts and are prepared to choose accommodation that gives them space even if it is not slap-bang in the middle of the piste. No restrictions and more space also means that if you wanted to, you could retire permanently to your Alpine retreat when that time comes around Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SamerbergSue

No - obviously. I have a place in Switzerland. You have a place in Bavaria. Clearly you like your area as much as I like mine. You make it sound as if I'm some sort of estate agent trying to pull the wool over a potential client's eyes. I'm sure our original poster is more intelligent than that and can judge for themselves the feedback they'll get here - there is a natural tendency to think that the place where we have chosen to buy our property is the best possible. We can get sarcastic about other people's advice but I don't think it's very useful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
msej449, Yebbut you did say
"Frankly, I would have thought that the scope for swimming in Alpine lakes is pretty limited. Much more rewarding might be access to thermal resorts. This would mean Switzerland".

So, "I would have thought" = you don't know

and
"Much more rewarding might be access to thermal resorts. This would mean Switzerland" - suggests that you think there are no thermal spas outside Switzerland
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
msej449, I don't "have a place" as you put it.

I actually live and work (proper job, not skiing related either Shocked ) here all year round and live in a rented flat. Sorry, I must just be some poor pleb as I obviously cannot afford to "have a place" both here and in the UK! Laughing

Quote:
Frankly, I would have thought that the scope for swimming in Alpine lakes is pretty limited. Much more rewarding might be access to thermal resorts. This would mean Switzerland.
- not deserving a wee bit of mickey taking? Gosh, so sorry I must have missed that lesson while having a crafty fag behind the Rolls Royce garages at my Finishing School!
snow conditions
Last Summer we were in Kitzbuhel, just outside town is Swarzsee, a large natural lake. Fantastic lido with changing rooms, restaurant, take away, kids area, slides, diving boards, etc etc. Had an amazing day there. Was as warm as the hotel pool. I believe there are also 2 smaller lakes for swimming nearby too. These are very picturesque with stunning views to the Wilder Kaiser.
I know Kitzbuhel would be very expensive to buy in but just up the road you have St Johan with its ski area and the whole Ski Welt with its villages, a beautiful area with loads to do in Summer and Winter. Also easily accessable, just over an hour from Salzburg.
ski holidays
I am still reading by the way. And for me it's been a very interesting thread. Lot's of genuinely interesting thoughts and ideas. There are clearly a vast array of options to ponder over. We were pondering over holidaying at one of these areas this summer and that is probably the first step.
latest report
Layne, Good idea; I did a Summer holiday in Zell..and ended up buying in Flachau when I had a) never heard of the place b) only seen it once, in May when there was a scraping of snow left on the pistes and c) just intended to "have a look" wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I did a Summer holiday in Zell..and ended up buying in Flachau when I had a) never heard of the place b) only seen it once, in May when there was a scraping of snow left on the pistes and c) just intended to "have a look"

Replace 'Flachau' with 'Saalbach' and this sounds horribly familiar
ski holidays
I just popped into the Espace Diamant for a couple of days on the way home from a holiday in Courchevel. Never even intended to buy anywhere...

Quote:

We were pondering over holidaying at one of these areas this summer and that is probably the first step.

Yes, absolutely. Although I had never been to the area where my apartment is in summer I knew from my earlier holidays in the Salzkammergut how good the Alps are in summer. I'm sure your wife would have no problem swimming in alpine lakes, Layne - as I noted above the water temperature in many of them comfortably exceeds that in places such as Cornwall.
latest report
Layne, For Austria (I know you haven't narrowed it down to a single country yet) remember to add around 10% to the asking price for fees and taxes. Of that the estate agents normally take 3% from buyer and seller pays that too! But I got this down to 2% as buyer last time I purchased. Don't be afraid to offer below asking, it's a market after all. To get you started here's a link to remax.at quite large agent covers most of austria. Crap website but give an idea of prices. Getting a local mortgage is fairly simple though, sensibly, they expect a decent deposit of say 30%. Good luck and have fun researching.
snow conditions
Anyone looking into using Euroburo I would suggest that you do not. The fees are high for a buyer, over 15%, and the first time I had a serious problem to resolve they said it was not their concern and that they did not care. Unfortunately my current impression is that this company can not be trusted. Buying is Austria particularly Kaernten/Carinthia like I have is perfect but just use a different company with more properties on offer and better prices in general.
snow conditions
pfffttt anyone who says you can't swim in alpine lakes outside of the July-August months just needs to harden the fsck up!

One thing about alpine lakes like the Lac du Bourget (where I swim) is the top 5cm can be ok but they are deep glacial lakes with little in the way of currents or waves so go deeper and the water can be ccccccold!

Didn't I read something about Annecy in the UK press the other day? Most polluted city in France where the air is a carcinogenic cocktail of deadly PM2.5s belched out by the badly maintained 4x4 every Savoyard seems to drive? Air quality was compared to New Dehli.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&gl=uk&tbm=nws&q=annecy+air+pollution&tbm=nws&gl=uk&hl=en&q=annecy+air+pollution&tbm=nws
snow report
I've swum in Lac Verney (big lake as you look down from Oz). It was very cold, 12c even in July. Can't normally swim in there, but I had to ride my bike and run a little bit afterwards too.

Anyone know if you Can you swim in Lake Constance? Is it far from the Bregenzerwald ski area? Probably a bit pricey round there though.
snow report
You can definitely swim in Lake Constance. It's near where my wife was brought up. We are going their for our summer holidays this year. It must be an a bit over an hour to a decent sized ski resort from memory.
ski holidays
Parts of Lake constance are very shallow, aren't they? They'd be warmer. 12 degrees is too cold for most people - it's over 15 here on the south coast of England now, after a mild winter, and rising of course. Lake Annecy is supposed to get to around 22 degrees in July. There's a pleasant swimming area in Combloux where the water is cleaned naturally by aquatic plants - no salt or chlorine. It's not natural, but has a natural look.
snow report
Layne This looks to be the largest at 40 mins away from Bregenz.... http://www.bregenzerwald.at/w/en/damls-mellau-faschina
Some smaller areas around 40-60km a bit closer.
snow conditions
pam w, The edges are shallow but the drop offs are pretty deep. I've dived to 45m there on the south side on the wreck of an old paddle wheel ferry called the Jura a few times. Further along to the west is a dive called the Teufelstisch where so many unprepared divers have got into trouble they have closed it to recreational divers. On the north shore there are a lot of overhangs formed by the horizontal layering of the rock strata. I've been down to around 60m there on mixed gases. Swimming along under the overhangs is a weird sensation.

The lake is quite a lot deeper than people think! The deepest point being 254m, the average depth though is 90m. Once below the thermocline it is a steady 5 degrees summer and winter, definitely one for dry suit divers. On the surface it is big enough to create its own weather, the storms that blast across it can be very frightening in the speed and ferocity they came raging in. Sailing there is big business and the storm warning system very sophisticated, but even that get caught out sometimes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I remember rowing on the lake years ago (so the depth wasn't a concern) and also swimming from the camping site. Now you mention it, I've been reminded about the warnings about the suddenness of the storms.

There are absolutely loads of Alpine lakes - most places probably have one within pretty easy reach. Lots of people swim in the ones in our neck of the woods, and even dip in the torrents coming down from the glaciers - but I'm happy just to paddle. When we paddled in the lake in Les Saisies once there were hundreds of tadpoles wriggling round our feet - swimming through them would have been an odd sensation.
latest report
Been in Bregenz when a storm appears. Pretty impressive how quickly bar and restaurant staff evict people from the terrace.

Never saw a storm at all when I used to work in Friedrichshafen, but there were lots and lots of nightly (rather loud) thunderstorms.

I'm sure other lakes feature the same phenomenon. One of the lakes near Rome certainly does, but is predictable enough to bring out the windsurfers in the evening.
snow report
My mate co-owns a chalet in Kreischberg, Austria. It's a small (40km-ish) ski area, but it's excellent for the family and very well-maintained with some nice runs. It has a lake for swimming in the summer and because it's such a small resort, chalets are much more affordable. You can get a 3-bed one near the centre for sub £100k. They rent it out all year round, and it's on a a small complex of rented chalets which have a guy who looks after them.
snow conditions
Someone mentioned Kitzbuhel above - we had a great Alpine summer holiday once taking in Kitzbuhel, Lake Garda, Wengen, plus a few bits in between, in September as I remember. The Kitzbuhel part was a particular highlight. The main lifts were running, so we'd use those to get us and our bikes up to the top then mountain bike back down to the valley, ending with a swim in the Schwarzsee. It was great fun and while the lake wasn't exactly toasty, it was certainly warm enough for swimming. It's a lovely area so the walking would be good too. It was the first place I ever skied too, 30 years ago, so good memories!

Clearly buying a place there would be a bit pricey though! Maybe somewhere nearby would be a better bet - there's lots of good stuff around there.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy