Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche death at Stubai yesterday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://lawinenwarndienst.blogspot.co.at/2014/03/todlicher-lawinenunfall-windachferner.html

If I read it correctly, he dropped his ski then went to go and get it...

Quite scary, as I've skied that slope (from the other side, and never pushing so far left) hundreds of times; it generally feels pretty innocuous.

Apparently two people got hit by a slide on piste in Zurs today too, one buried pretty deeply, but both rescued by a ski instructor who happened to be there and was really quick with a probe search.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 8-03-14 1:01; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That's very sad and the sort of small terrain feature that is pretty hard to see as being a hazard to most people. Was skiing last weekend on a mountain that is plastered and ski anywhere far more than it usually is and there is lots of similar terrain it would be all too easy to ski into unawares.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes very sad and very scary. As someone who does not mind a bit of a climb to get my turns and who skis glacial terrain round Chamonix, La Grave etc I would not think twice about nipping onto that slope and I bet I would not have recognised that terrain feature as a hazard. Sobering stuff how quickly things can turn bad when you have not got your guard up.
Having said that I put my transceiver on every morning when I am skiing even if it's just messing round with my four year old.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Google translation of the article:

Quote:
Deadly avalanche accident Windachferner

As mentioned in the previous blog entry short, a fatal avalanche accident occurred on 03/06/2014 around 15:00 clock on Windachferner in the southern Stubai Alps. A 25-year-old skier lost in the fall on the piste ski. The ski slid over the edge of the slope out into the free ski terrain, where it lay in a depression. The skier followed his ski, solving in a freshly blew trough a small slab of. He was carried away and spilled about 1.5 m. The skier had an avalanche transceiver in itself, but could be dug lifeless after about 30 minutes. Under resuscitation, he was taken to Innsbruck in the hospital, where he died in the night.

When sliding surface of the slab avalanche, the interface between loose powder snow and fresh snowdrift came to fruition (risk pattern 6: cold, loose snow and wind). Our stability tests that we today at 7:03. have done a pretty good bond between the layers showed different results, but in most cases already back together.

This confirms once again that such a risk situations persist usually only briefly. To pay attention when cold, powder snow is transported by the wind and form fresh snowdrift is all the more important. (The colder the weather, the more brittle the driven snow, the longer it takes to the dangerous situation.) In very steep terrain (in the starting area of ​​the slope was extremely steep with 40 °) can then be easily disturbed this short always right.

That is very unlucky and very sad.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy