Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow train from Newcastle?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Great site

http://www.seat61.com

Ski Specific bit

http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#.Uxjm9typI9I
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

http://youtube.com/v/vVFPPh8z18Y
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2544037/Video-story-Long-night-slopes-easiest-way-mountain-Getting-Alps-Eurostars-ski-train.html
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaza wrote:
2h 52m is very pessimistic timings. I live 25 miles east of Edinburgh city centre and was doing home to Doxford International Business Park in anywhere between 1h 35m and 2h+ depending on traffic and time of day. If I had the choice I would choose EDI over MAN any day. EDI is much smaller, easier to navigate and generally a nicer place to be.

Blimey, that's good going. Do you stick within the speed limit at all?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NE1 wrote:
Gaza wrote:
2h 52m is very pessimistic timings. I live 25 miles east of Edinburgh city centre and was doing home to Doxford International Business Park in anywhere between 1h 35m and 2h+ depending on traffic and time of day. If I had the choice I would choose EDI over MAN any day. EDI is much smaller, easier to navigate and generally a nicer place to be.

Blimey, that's good going. Do you stick within the speed limit at all?

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds I may incriminate myself. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I flew to the Bourg area we took a flight from Bristol to Chambery. We live in South Wales.

After allowing for airport check-in, traffic jam contingency, slow TO transfers, flight delays and traffic jams, I calculated that the trip was less than two hours longer than driving door to door.

Perhaps that's why the train is so effective.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
londonbg, have you actually gone on the overnight Eurostar SkiTrain?
I think the video is reasonably fair, but rather skirts over the negative side.
Easy to miss/forget the brief view of people draped over seats at all angles trying to get sleep, the lady saying none of them got any sleep.
Anyone with any sense does the Eurostar/Corail Lunea route and gets a decent night's sleep.

And remember the OP is starting from Newcastle: a 3 hour journey, and the latest train he can take leaves Newcastle 16.59.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones wrote:
Last time I flew to the Bourg area we took a flight from Bristol to Chambery. We live in South Wales.

After allowing for airport check-in, traffic jam contingency, slow TO transfers, flight delays and traffic jams, I calculated that the trip was less than two hours longer than driving door to door.

Perhaps that's why the train is so effective.

If I left home to fly and someone left home to drive, I would be waiting at bourg to be collected, however if I left home to get that 16.59 train and someone left home to drive without stopping for overnight sleep it could be a close run thing. How long does it take to drive from Calais to Bourg?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Calais to BSM is 601 miles according to Google Maps. It should be doable in a day. Last summer we drove from Le Bugue in the Dordoyne via the Chunnel back to East Lothian in a single day. We left at 7:20 CET and arrived home at 22:46. 977 miles and just over 14 hours driving. Le Bugue is 540 miles from Calais so slightly shorter than BSM.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Calais to Bourg takes around 8 - 11 hours, we have done it a number of times. For the last couple of years some of us have flown, then train to Bourg, and some driven through the night. Those of us that flew stayed overnight on a Friday (Geneva first year and a change of trains in Chambery, Lyon 2nd year, direct train) to meet up with the drivers on the Sat lunchtime. Worked fine the first year but delays to those driving before they left England meant it did not the second year, which was OK as we had contingency plans.

Journey time is variable due to traffic, weather conditions, route chosen and number of stops enroute.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi,

I've done both the drive and train. Londoners who comment on here do not understand the quality of the route of the Flying Scotsman.
Leeds-St Pancras-Bourg is effortless, but then I can sleep anywhere. In Les Arc at 8.00 on Saturday morning.

A short walk from KX to St P with luggage.

Others in the party struggled with the lack of sleep, however. Strangely they had no such issues on the return Toofy Grin . (8 days skiing sounds great, but damn, its hard work!). The option to drink excessively on the train should not be overlooked (as a positive, we weren't disturbed by drunken revellers)

Also have driven (with family) from Leeds to La Plagne, Les Gets, Valmenier. One sleep on the way out. Solid run (05.00hrs start) home to Leeds sharing the driving. Thats 16 hours in the car with 3 kids...and SWMBO Evil or Very Mad

Defo prefer the train for a grown ups trip, but wouldn't neccesarily put my 3 rather particular kids, or equally choosy Missus on the train.

IMHO, the sleep deficit is about equal for both options (driving or train) on the outbound, but on the homebound, I was much better rested on the train than after the drive.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Half term is horrendous on the overnight train. Filthy, crowded, loos disgusting, no running water,noisy, hot, cold, uncomfortable . We went that way once and on day 2 of holiday went to the SNCF office and begged for tickets, anything at all, to avoid having to do the return trip that way. Got the last 2 first class seats, one second class seat and one unallocated place on tgv, which meant one of us sat in the corridor seat from BSM to Paris. So much nicer. Butit is cheaper to drive with 4 of us. We reckon 9 hours driving to Les Arcs from Calais, plus stops .2drivers. We start early, catch the tunnel at 7 and arrive by teatime, early night, first lift.....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NE1 wrote:
What I did want to ask is why you chose Edinburgh? It just seems further away and a bit less accessible than Manchester, but is it?

Having travelled to Manchester airport a few times, I just felt that Edinburgh was closer, even though technically in terms of miles on the map it isnt, but its straight up the A1. We could have went Newcastle to Geneva but saved quite a bit money going from Edinburgh even taking into account the petrol and the overnight stay and car park.

We arent tied to school holidays, well we are, but I take mine out of school - shock horror! but in my defence the school ski trip is during term time and the head is fine with it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy