Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow train from Newcastle?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I am looking to next years holiday and I am wondering what my options are for the snow train. How much hassle will it be? ie how many train changes, humping of luggage here and there? I think we may go to la Plagne next year. We had an absolutely hideous plane landing at Edinburgh in January and my youngest has told me he never wants to fly again! although I am sure if we needed to he would have forgotten by then but I quite fancy the idea of the train. I suppose costs wouldnt be that much different to flying.

I havent looked but I would assume we could get a train from Newcastle to London, then does the snow train go from there direct to resort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Durham to Kings Cross, walk to St Pancras then Eurostar......I think.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I havent looked but I would assume we could get a train from Newcastle to London, then does the snow train go from there direct to resort?

Yeah you'd get the train from Newcastle to Kings Cross station in London which is next door to Kings Cross St Pancras where the Eurostar leaves from.
Direct trains from St Pancras to Bourg St Maurice (Alps) operate on Fridays and Saturdays otherwise you have to change in Paris.
From Bourg St Maurice to La Plagne you would either get a taxi to La Plagne or I think there are buses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99, yes you can, a friend of mine did it for half term - it is a long time on a train though
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thesnow train is run by Eurostar and full details are on its website. Two trains run each week, leaving on Friday night or Saturday morning, and returning on saturday morning or Saturday night. It terminates at Bourg St Maurice, which connects directly with Les Arc by Funicular and is a short transfer away from Tignes, Val d'Isere, Ste Foy, La Rosiere and others.

The standard class Eurostar seats are not large and have no power supplies. There is no sleeper service, and I would not want to be on the train overnight. First class might be better - I haven't tried. An alternative is to catch the Eurostar to Paris and change there for the SNCF overnight sleeper service to Bourg. That's also cramped, but you'll get a good night's sleep and 8 days skiing instead of the usual 6.

You can catch the trains from London, but some services also stpp at Ashford which has a large long stay car park.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I dunno why I was assuming we could sleep on the Eurostar. So if we wanted to sleep the best bet would be 3 trains? Newcastle to Kings Cross, St Pancras to Paris then swap to SNFC overnight sleeper to Bourg? Im thinking 2 hours on a plane isnt that bad lol
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo99 wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I dunno why I was assuming we could sleep on the Eurostar. So if we wanted to sleep the best bet would be 3 trains? Newcastle to Kings Cross, St Pancras to Paris then swap to SNFC overnight sleeper to Bourg? Im thinking 2 hours on a plane isnt that bad lol

That's your best bet. A long trip, but you do get two extra days' skiing. Last week we did something similar from Cardiff, but we drove to Ashford instead of taking the train as First Great Western's prices were outrageous. I'd definitely do it again 33% more skiing is worth the effort.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've happily slept on the Eurostar snow train standard class, though I did have 2 seats to myself.
Going 1st class this year and the train looks pretty empty so hopefully 2 seats and first class to boot. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo99, i'm a great train fan. I usually go that way. Eurostar to Paris, then SNCF down to Aime for La Plagne.
But I live in London.
I'm sure if i were up in Newcastle, I would go by plane.
For you the train journey will take considerably longer, and be significantly more expensive.

Jonny Jones, for the overnight Corail Lunea sleeper, go first class.
If you get in early enough its only 15 euros more, and much more comfortable: only 4 in the compartment, with proper sleeping bag on comfortable mattress.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99, it would be just as easy to drive as faff about with 3 trains and 2 changes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Son no 1 has reminded me he went home from Briancon on the overnight train to Paris then Eurostar then East Coast. It took him almost 24 hours in total, but he only had a small bag and no skis. He enjoyed breakfast in Paris with a view of Notre Dame before walking to the Gare du Nord and getting a train to St Pancras then home to Durham. He got a student ticket so it was quite reasonable.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to avoid flying take the ferry to Ijmuiden and then drive the 600 miles to La Plagne.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hells Bells wrote:
polo99, it would be just as easy to drive as faff about with 3 trains and 2 changes.

Some drivers who try to get a good night's sleep behind the wheel find that it doesn't end too well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonny Jones, I don't sleep behind the wheel, you should not make assumptions. We take a break at a nice hotel in Champagne or Burgundy region, , have dinner and continue on our journey the next morning. I have never driven to the Alps overnight without a stop, and don't ever intend to.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
polo99, I'd love to get the train 1 year, just to see what it is all about, but the key is exactly as Jonpim says... Living in London is key to it being easy, IMO... Live anywhere else and the plane all of a sudden seems to be the easier option...

I'd have to get a train from Bournemouth-Waterloo, then taxi/tube across London to Kings X, then train it down to Paris, then get a cab cross town again, and finally get on an appropriate train to wherever I was going... Bournemouth to GVA is so much easier Sad
snow conditions
I have tried travelling by train from Lincoln by train a few times. I have found that the best solution was to stay with family near London overnight, then go by Eurostar to Paris, and go by TGV thereafter by day. When on my own the transfer across Paris with skis and normal bag had to be by taxi. Quite interesting, but very time consuming. I did once use the Eurostar snow train, but never will again. I have taken a night sleeper to Moutiers, but it,s cramped and crowded. Reluctantly, I have come to the conclusion that it has to be plane or car. IME, three in a car, with each taking spells at driving, is very congenial. However, on one of the two times I took my car, there was heavy snow for days. I had to move the car each evening (not trivial) either to allow snow clearance vehicles through, or to avoid avalanche risk. These days, I take the plane, much as I would like not to.
snow conditions
polo99, I'd wait till next year then get your son on the plane.

Arrive at Edinburgh airport bang on time, two hours before flight, then 1.5 hours to GVA, then two hours to La Plagne.

With your own skis and the right accommodation you can be on the snow five hours after arriving at Edinburgh airport.

Or Cham - 1.15 hr from GVA.

Or the Grand Massif - 45 minutes.

The train can take an awful long time.
latest report
northernsoulboy,
That is more than a little optimistic, I have flown Edin GVA many times. The flight is about 2.5 hours not 1.5. You then have to wait for skis etc to come off the plane. Find your transport Long wait if it is a booked bus, and still significant for car hire much of the time.
On top of that the OP has to drive up from Newcastle and allow time for the Edinburgh bypass if it is a busy time of day.

Yes it will be quicker than the train but unless they get up at stupid O'Clock to get an early morning flight and be knackered when they arrive they won't be skiing the day they leave.
snow report
northernsoulboy wrote:
polo99

With your own skis and the right accommodation you can be on the snow five hours after arriving at Edinburgh airport.

+1 Living in Bournemouth, I have been in the GM in 6 hours form leaving my door... Air travel is not the 'green' thing to do and I wish it was easier for me to do the train... But for now it is either flight or the long back bottom drive down...
snow report
Sorry should have said Newcastle Airport, not Edinburgh. Bizarre. Type in haste etc.

Anyway, T Bar, yep, there's a 'with a following wind' element to that. I should have added - pay for a private transfer, which I always do (it's waiting for you, so no delay there). That does add £££ but then so does hiring a car, esp by the time you've paid tolls and fuel etc.

I must confess I've never flown out of Newcastle (or Edinburgh*), but I've easyjetted and Ryanaired out of East Mids, Luton, Bristol, and Brum a lot to GVA, and have never (being lucky) had anything other than a speedy run through.

End of the day, even pessimistically you should be able to do it in six hours; I take your point re stupid o'clock, but then I can't sleep on trains anyway. Horses for courses I spose.

*I know people who do the latter in well under two hours fairly regularly (work in Geneva). I guess winds etc vary.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Jonny Jones, I don't sleep behind the wheel, you should not make assumptions. We take a break at a nice hotel in Champagne or Burgundy region, , have dinner and continue on our journey the next morning. I have never driven to the Alps overnight without a stop, and don't ever intend to.

That sounds rather more civilised than I at first imagined. We regularly do something similar in the summer. Unlike the train, it doesn't get you 8 days skiing, though, does it?

As for flying, I heard of one person whose transfer from GVA to the resorts around Bourg took 5 hours last weekend due to exceptional traffic volumes. Like everything, flying is horrible if you have to travel at peak times. At least the train avoids the traffic jams and allows you to sleep comfortably for most of the journey.
snow conditions
northernsoulboy,
Quote:

*I know people who do the latter in well under two hours fairly regularly (work in Geneva). I guess winds etc vary.

Are you sure this is not flying GVA EDI and missing out the time difference?
As far as I know the only scheduled direct flights currently are the easyjet ones which are timetabled for 2hours 15 minutes but usually work out at 2.5 by the time you disembark.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 5-03-14 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
For Bourg I usually fly (or at least, have always flown, I'm not an international jetsetter) into Chambery. But then, whether GVA or Lyon or Chambery, you just get the train on to Bourg, surely?
snow report
T Bar wrote:
northernsoulboy,
Quote:

Are you sure this is not flying GVA EDI and missing out the time difference?
As far as I know the only direct flights currently are the eayjet ones which are timetabled for 2hours 15 minutes but usually work out at 2.5 by the time you disembark.

Yeah possibly, like I say it's not something I do myself.

That said, howmanyhours.com says:

'The distance from Edinburgh to Geneva is 1263 kilometers or 785 miles... A typical flight between Edinburgh and Geneva would have a flying time of about 1 hours 35 mins. This assumes an average flight speed for a commercial airliner of 500 mph, which is equivalent to 805 km/hr or 434 knots. Your exact time may vary depending on wind speeds.'

I dunno, but anyway my point really is that flying is usually quicker (assuming you plan it and nothing unforeseen happens).

But there are reasons to take the train - eg in the States, I have often taken the Rocky Mountain Amtrak because it's really nice.
snow conditions
Jonny Jones, personally, it gets me however many days I choose to stay there. but there is no reason why you can't be in resort in time to ski on the first day. I choose to stop in Champagne, but could easily be further south if I wished.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, Chambery airport is short taxi ride to rail station, according to this site
Lyon airport has rail station, but the last train to Bourg (change at Chambery) is early afternoon. You can get tram into central Lyon station for a train that leaves about 5.30pm.
Geneva to Bourg by train is silly: take the bus.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:

Geneva to Bourg by train is silly: take the bus.

Agreed except that at peak times you can be stuck on the road to Bourg for five hours in your bus, as someone points out above.
snow conditions
Yes, northernsoulboy, the road can get clogged up.
But i think you will find the train journey takes near to 5 hours. You have to go all the way down to Chambery, and change there.
See this thread
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fair dos Jon - I was merely saying that you can take the train. As I said above, I always get a private transfer from wherever.
ski holidays
Well I think my mind is made up and that flying has to be the way to go. It sounds like a lot of hassle and money to avoid 2 hours in a plane lol. I think I had more of a romantic view of getting the snnow train than the actual hassle of it all.
ski holidays
I did Darlington to BSM on the train this year, if you go on the Eurostar site and click on the box that has "St Pancras" as the start point, it then brings up a choice of regional stations to start from, for me, the Darlington to Kings X journey only added £29 return to the overall cost.
I did the overnight direct train and got little or no sleep sat up but still managed a full days skiing that day and a full day on the return leg as the train leaves BSM at ~10pm.
The Bus transfer to Val D'isere was 17 euros return with autocars martin, they do virtually all of the resorts surrounding BSM, book online.

For 1/2 term we drove Whitby - Soldeu, Andorra non stop, as Mrs T is happy to co drive in France, there is no need for an expensive overnight stop and driving overnight, the journey is a lot shorter for the kids as they sleep most of the way, as does the co-driver. this year we got sat nav and a toll transponder which made a big difference as no need to disturb co-driver. The roads were virtually deserted and the cruise control sat at 130kmh about 90% of the way.
snow report
Polo99 it's planes all the way for us, although I hate being herded from holding own to holding pen. Once we are out of the employment roundabout we will think again as there will be more time on our hands. Till then it's newcastle/leeds/Manchester for us. What I did want to ask is why you chose Edinburgh? It just seems further away and a bit less accessible than Manchester, but is it?
snow conditions
NE1,
I used to live in Edinburgh and work in Newcastle, much closer than Manchester, also Scottish holidays often different from English which may make the fares cheaper.
latest report
TBar good point, although don't take much notice of school holidays except to avoid them. We can get to manchester airport in 2hrs40, is it shorter to edinburgh
snow report
NE1, Depends where you are in the North East but Edinburgh is closer to Newcastle than that.
latest report
5 miles from MetroCentre to the SW. We come up to Edinburgh every year for the festival and when we used to drive it took about that time, mind you that was to the city centre.. Always used yo get caught in the snarl up that was at the top of the A68. We now get the train. Apart from the first 5 miles it's motorway all the way to manchester airport.
ski holidays
According to AA Route finder it's 2hr52 to both but Edinburgh is 40 miles less
snow report
NE1, I'm suprised its that long I remember it as being a lot quicker but that was nearly thirty years ago .
snow conditions
2h 52m is very pessimistic timings. I live 25 miles east of Edinburgh city centre and was doing home to Doxford International Business Park in anywhere between 1h 35m and 2h+ depending on traffic and time of day. If I had the choice I would choose EDI over MAN any day. EDI is much smaller, easier to navigate and generally a nicer place to be.
snow conditions
NE1, not sure if you're stuck with school hols, but we had planned to go by train this half-term - Friday train to KX, hotel near the station, get the daytime Eurostar to Landry and taxi up the hill. Only the train tickets came out at £450 a head!

So we flew to Chambery, got a taxi into town and got a lovely comfy train - €23 1st class.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy