Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there any way of cheating?

Poster: A snowHead
When learning to snow board? Is there any dry/fake snow slopes in the uk that offer lessons with some kind of harness suspended from overhead to prevent the worst of any falls?

My imagination tends to run riot sometimes but surely such a thing would be possible? I like the idea of boarding but not the idea of all those falls when learning!

rolling eyes Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CaravanSkier, Laughing Nice try. Rule 5 applies.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was/is a magic carpet system somewhere which has it iirc!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about getting a Zorb ball and wearing it with your feet sticking out the hole and riding that way?

Frankly if you are always riding paranoid about falling over, you'll hate snowboarding and won't progress beyond creeping about on bunny slopes. Take the knocks, pay your dues and the end result will be worth it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CaravanSkier, What about something like this? http://www.sno-wing.com/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways speaks the truth.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Get private lessons instead of group or teaching yourself. You will get (literally!) a lot more hand-holding from the instructor and will avoid a lot of the early falls.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd wrote:
Get private lessons instead of group or teaching yourself. You will get (literally!) a lot more hand-holding from the instructor and will avoid a lot of the early falls.

And if you learn in the Summer you can pay for 'group' lessons and end up with 1 - 1 wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I would definitely only want to learn 1 - 1, progress in any sport is always so much easier (I won`t say faster 'cos this is me we are talking about!) In respect of the falls, sadly health issues make me so very much more cautions than I was a few years back in respect of 'taking the knocks` and I am never going to want to hurtle down mountainsides, well I might want to in my dreams!

SaraJ, that looks interesting.

pam w, well you got`a ask! Smile

And yes I probably classify as a wimp! Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier, honestly, it doesn't sound as though snowboarding is for you! I enjoyed the learning I did, and got to the stage where I could do linked turns down a blue piste (and even one or two rather easy reds) but I did have some very big crashes en route - and decided, at 66, to give it up (after fracturing my pelvis, though that was skiing). I too am becoming more of a wimp in old age; it goes with the territory, I think. I like to think that the boarding I did has given me some insight into how snowboarders look at the world, and an understanding of why they sit in the middle of the piste.

I am going to do more cross-country skiing, especially as my apartment is in an area with terrific XC - including some very challenging "black" circuits which will take me a long time to master. It's exceptionally good exercise. You do fall quite a bit, I find, especially on descents or when the snow is icy, but probably not so violently!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, The trouble with XC skiing is that it seems to take all the hard work of downhill skiing but with few of the benefits? Not that I have tried it! Maybe I should!

I think you are probably correct that boarding is not for me but it was another thread, on snowboarders age, that made me think about it. Comments that it was easier on the knees etc just got me wondering! Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CaravanSkier, it might be easier on the knees but it can be harder on other bits. My younger son is very good at both, but reckons the latter is harder work. He would always choose a board when the snow is plentiful, though.

XC skiing is just completely different. It's more like hill walking - not to be compared to downhill skiing. When I get better at it I'd like to try one of the Norwegian XC holidays.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't really get the big falling thing. I fell much more, and with more sharp edges and spikey poles when learning skiing as opposed to boarding.

Sure, if you're going to their yourself off huge kickers... But almost no one does that, and anyway the risk is similar with skis.

If you're not athletic maybe you would fall a bit, but if you can ski... Well I think it's way over played here. The idea of people wearing body armour and all that...learn to ride, learn to fall, its a sport not a consumer activity.

On the OP, yes, treat it as something to learn. Most people don't bother with practicibg, for example. If you learn best from teachers, then hire one of those. Do not spend money on toys, spend it on learning. It's actually a quick transition from skiing.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig, Interesting. I think that because I learnt to ski as a teenager way back in the 70`s I don`t really remember much falling, and maybe its a matter of perception but I always seem to see far more snowboarders falling than skiers. On here you certainly hear lots of talk about about falls.

pam w, Lots of folk seem to enjoy XC, I remember it being very popular in Bavaria and in the Jura.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
CaravanSkier wrote:
... I think that because I learnt to ski as a teenager way back in the 70`s I don`t really remember much falling ...I always seem to see far more snowboarders falling than skiers

Perhaps it's because I learnt both skiing and snowboarding so long ago I forgot the down sides, but I don't think that's it.

I'm learning to no-board at the moment, which I'm sure the internet naysayers would suggest needs even more protection and insurance and legal support. But there's nothing to be afraid of - it's just like sledging, only you stand up. If people wittered on the internet about learning to cycle, they'd probably decide not to, but it's actually just like riding a bike.

At resorts the average ability level of snowboarders appears less than that of skiers, which may be why you see more of them falling. Many of those are the people who decide that it's better to wear padded clothing and buy insurance than to learn how not to crash.
snow report
You can only be a snowboarder if you accept and then relish the pain.
latest report
In my experience, boarders do fall more than skiers, especially when learning and also once experienced, but for different reasons.

When learning a lot of beginners lean back up the hill when the board gets onto the fall line and the board shoots out from under them, or they catch an edge and slam, you see it time and time again with beginner classes. You just don't see the same number of slams with skiing classes.

Once you are experienced and for instance heading down an icy piste, if your edge slips for what ever reason, on skis you have another chance to save yourself on your other ski, on a board you don't.
snow report
stevomcd wrote:

Best advice ever. Though there comes a point further along the learning scale when you just need to play around on your own and take the falls. Yeah, it hurts sometimes, but all you do is do some swears, laugh at yourself and get back up again and carry on.

If you're scared of falling then wear protective gear - crash pants, gloves with built in wrist guards and take some paracetamol and ibuprofen before you even start. Then at least hurting yourself enough to make you want to give up is going to be far less likely.

And when you get going, stay relaxed. Try not to always be braced for the fall. If you're tense and don't relax then you catch more edges and spend too long dusting yourself off!

(It's so much fun, honestly. Even on an icy piste...)
snow report
call me dave, I`m trying to avoid ibuprofen, and all the much stronger anti-flammatories I`ve had, because of nasty problems with stomach irritation. I therefore try to avoid injury because I know I`m going to: a) take a long time to recover, and b) don`t react well to drugs that would help!

The spirit remains willing even though the body does not want to be rolling eyes Very Happy

Gainz, Thats the statement that most concerns me Smile
snow report
CaravanSkier, ouch. Well, to be honest the bits that hurt me the most were the bones I kept landing on (bum and knees), and the flip over and try again muscles (stomach and core). The ibuprofen now is mostly to stop my feet giving me grief (should be buying new boots, not flights to snow). It's more of a precaution than a necessity!

Have a go. Go on. Listen to the spirit. Wink
snow report
call me dave, Get the boots! You can`t do 'stuff' without the right tools wink Very Happy
snow conditions
I knew I'd seen something;

http://youtube.com/v/181XZtuFfzM
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy