Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada or Europe??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all you frozen water riders !!

Just thinking of doing a last minute trip to either Canada (Banff area) or Europe (Wherever) , what in your honest opinion is the BEST, Canada or Europe ?? I know its probably a silly question but just thought I would ask it anyway.

Thank you very much
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Europe is better, by majority verdict on this site, because many of the skiers here haven't been to Canada.
Ask the same question on a US or Canadian site, and you'll probably be told the opposite, for the same reason.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are world class resorts on both sides of the pond. If you're planning your trip to be last minutes, why not wait until you know where the snow is good and see if you can pick up any bargains?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What do you want? Apres ski, powder, lots of lifts/pistes, crowds, quiet pistes?????
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
apres ski, powder, lots of lifts, not lots of crowds and relatively quite pistes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
all in one place? let me know when you find it Wink not lots of crowds and relatively quite pistes kind of confilct with bangin' night life

Fernie suits most of those. Kind of lacking in the apres-ski thing, and notexactly overflowing with lifts, but there are enough lifts to service the pistes and the poweder

Canada's great, the only problem is you really need to go out for 10 or 14 days at least to justify the travelling. if you can only get a week, stick to europe
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your idea of apres ski is decent food, and maybe a bar with live music, them Canada. If you want livelier nightlife, then Europe. Personally I reckon that the social scene is available at home, uncrowded access to powder isn't ....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiing is a cultural chocolate box.

Part of the delight of a ski holiday is the complete contrast between teh ways of doing things, from the Canadian big landscape, evening amongst the descendants of fur trappers to the Austrian bierkeller, dancing on the table type stuff, Scottish traditional music with a pint of bitter to apres ski burritos, Flamenco and San Miguel in Spain.

My advice is try 'em all.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think that as a snowHead you should be more thinking along the lines of Canada and Europe, rather than thinking of them as mutually exclusive.

I love Whistler, and if I was going to ski for two weeks, would probably do a North America two centre trip, for one week, because I get pretty bad jet lag, I will stay in Europe. They're both different experiences, and both are great fun.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I rekon on what you've said, try Canada.

Banff has good apres ski, but you'll have to bus it 20 mins to Sunshine where you'll find plenty of powder and quiet pistes.

If you're not as bothered by the Apres ski then stay in Lake Louise. Stunning scenery and close to the slopes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ask a lot of Canadians and they'll say Europe but they'll be thinking Chamonix, St Anton or any other lift served backcountry type place not cruising blue groomers in La Plagne.

It's impossible to say what's best for me for a 2 week trip Canada or US would have the edge based on chances of powder days and inbound off piste accessibility in unfamilar areas. However I would not say go to e.g. Fernie to cruise the blues or Whistler to avoid lift queues!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always go to Canada.

Nuff said.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Acacia you replied to my madonna di campiglio thread, we were looking at a big white siler star two week trip but are not sure as Linda might have a work deadline, but i would like to try them have you been to them? if not where do you go to? i don't fancy whistler as we don't like busy resorts. I just noticed you are in yorkshire we are in York! We are now going to wait to see what Linda has to do workwise as she is a freelance artist and has a possible good job on, but we really do fancy a two week holiday to canada i saw a friend at football tonight and he said Banff was superb, have you been. The thing putting me off banff is the fact you have to pratt about with buses everyday! is this a problem, also what is the town like and the skiing areas are they good for intermediates we just like cruisers nothing too steep or demanding, anyway any help would be appreciated. Would you stay in banff or lake louise?
andy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied BANFF/LL for the last few seasons. Both Sunshine and LL are great intermediate resorts.

Don't worry about the buses they run every few minutes and the service is good. If there are more people than the bus can take then another is arranged usually within a few minutes. If you stay at LL then the trip to local slopes is 5-10 minutes and about 30-40 minutes to Sunshine. If you stay in Banff then Sunshine is about 20-25 minutes and LL about 40-45 minutes. Its also a chance to chat to some of the people on the bus.

Banff is OK to stay with plenty of restaurants and bars. LL is a lot quieter as its inside the national park and developement is restricted only a few hotel bars/restaurants.

Depends what you want from skiing. My view was if I'd travelled all that way I'd want to ski lots. So we tend to get up early, get the first bus and ski till mid morning. Grab a hot chocolate and a bite to eat. Then ski till mid/late afternoon and back to hotel for soak in the jacuzzi. Get something to eat and drink then bed for 10/11ish. Might sound a bit early but we have found that as the slopes are generally quiet and lift queues non existent then we're tired from all the skiing plus the effects of time difference (expect to wake up early hours of the morning when you first get there).

Stayed in Banff last season and enjoyed it. Some good places to eat and livlier than LL though that wouldn't be difficult.

My choice would be Banff as its easier to get to LL from Banff than to Sunshine from LL (quite restricted bus service only runs a few times a week).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andyarmitage,

I've not skied the Okanagan resorts at all, although I really want to do this at some time. It's been on my to-do list for years.

I've been to Banff about half a dozen times, and its great. antoeknee has it right. I've stayed in both Banff and LL, and Banff is the best place to stay: you've got loads of options for bars, restaurants and shopping, and I've never found the buses to be too much hassle. They are regular, frequent and comfortable, and the trip from Banff to LL is wonderfully scenic.

Jet lag makes getting the early bus easy, and early nights follow naturally.

The ski areas at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise are large, and offer a range of terrain options for all levels of skier. There's also a really good 3-day instructional programme, called Club Ski which takes you to all the three local areas, and which really helps you improve. - You get the same instructor for all three days, with a group of typically no more than 8, and often a lot fewer at the top two levels.

While you'll probably be wanting to spend most of you're time at the large areas (Sunshine and LL), don't ignore Norquay - the local hill. It's small, but uncrowded and ideal for weekends - all the crowds from Calgary go to the main hills, and only the Banff locals go to Norquay with their kids. (This category includes luminaries like Ken Read, whom I've come across with his family there on a number of occasions) - Some great intermediate cruisers also. You might also consider a day trip to Nakiska: this is the nearest ski area to Calgary, and was established for the alpine events in the Calgary winter olympics. It is VERY quiet in midweek, and has predomantly well-groomed cruising runs. It also has the easiest and most outrageously over-rated double-black diamond slope you'll ever encounter. Great for bragging rights.
latest report
Acacia, thanks for that i really think that banff is where we are going to go as it is only one flight and our first foray into canada has to be one flight, as we did aspen two years ago which was 3 flights!! never again, i just hope we can get a good package deal, i presume a package would be the cheapest way also is it okay going in early march or is it too late for good snow, any good hotels you know of.
latest report
why travel 8 or 9 hrs to go skiing when u can travel no more than 3hrs. you've got all that snow on your door step. apres-ski is far better.you must be mad not to go to europe and its cheaper haha. So do the right thing and GO TO EUROPE
ski holidays
harvs, have you ever been to the US or Canada?
snow conditions
Guys
bit of a gatecrash, but the following was going to be posted onto an off-topic 'equipment' discussion and it's better here.
Oh, and to the OP - yup, it was kindof a dumb question, did you expect anything approaching a sensible answer?

I think that given some reasonable assumptions (equivalent 'price per day' would be a good start), and the time to do them justice, most people would take Canada over Europe. If you've just got a week, then Europe is clearly better suited.

HK, pay attention here....

paste:>
You're staying at the *Fairmont! nice.....

Ski Stop (www.theskistop.com) have board rentals, the site is not _totally_ clear but they offer a 'std pkg' (presumably board and boots) at 150Cdn for 6 days (plus 7% tax!), or the "VIP" service, which lets you lay-away your rental against an equipment purchase. They may even respond to email. Have bought from them in past, but not rented.

*The Fairmont - aka Banff Springs (the huge, imposing ex CP rail hotel - top place, great buffet, and a bit of a hike from town if you're walking... and they don't do anything 'cheap'! Legendary hot springs nearby though - don't forget your cossie!
There is a map here (http://www.dininginbanff.com/restaurants/map.html), which also happens to show all the restaurants.... and the fact that the Fairmont is a stiff walk from town (maybe a mile from Buffalo St/Banff Av corner). No reason why you shouldn't do that walk once or twice, someone else might know if the local shuttle bus (the 'lune' bus) goes up to the Hotel.... the hotel might know too!

Banff is a little short on good websites.... I'll try to remember to get some details when I'm there....

Other potentially useful websites:
culture: http://www.banffcentre.ca/
general: http://www.banfflakelouise.com/, http://www.discoverbanff.com/.

<unpaste.

enjoy,
h.
snow conditions
andyarmitage,

March is fine. I always go in late March for a combination of good snow and warmer temperatures (and because it's the only time I can get away). By March you'll have had the whole winter's snow accumulation, together with whatever your time there throws at you (usually a significant quantity). Early March should be ideal.

Pick a hotel that's fairly central, for easy access to all the shops etc. I've stayed at the Mount Royal quite a few times: it's in the heart of town and good value. The Banff International is just over the road from Safeway, and I got a free upgrade when I stayed there. The Ptarmigan, next door is also handy. All offer a very good standard of accomodation.

The Banff Springs is way out of town, and unless you're prepared to pay extra $$ for a reasonable size room, then you'll find the accomiodation surprisingly cramped for a Canadian Hotel. Inns of Banff at the top end of town has a great outdoor hot tub, but is a long trek into the centre. The most conveniently located, upmnarket hotel is the Banff Park Lodge. I can't afford it, but I've heard only good things about it.
snow report
Acacia, thanks again for that we are looking at going early to mid march it is more likely to be after the 10th of march but it's good to hear that the snow levels are still good then. A friend of mine only told me the other day he had been to banff and i asked him if he got fed up with having to catch buses all the time to which he replied no he loved it there he also stayed at the mount royal hotel and said it was superb. Where are you going this season?
snow conditions
All
remember that Banff is in a National Park - the ride from town to Lake Louise is pretty impressive, especially at first light. Also, the buses are warm, comfortable, everyone gets a seat, there is space for all the ski's and boards underneath..... on the return from the slopes, there is an organised queuing system, and there certainly used to be 'bus hosts' to make sure that all returning bus seats were filled.

Oh, and if you take the trip to Kicking Horse, be prepared for a narrated drive, and interesting wildlife on the prowl....
enjoy,
h.
snow report
hamilton, thanks for that I am starting to feel a whole lot better about going to banff, as those are some of the reasons i didn't want to go. How busy does it get on the slopes as we don't like crowded slopes, we really want to go to big white/silver star but i just can't bear the thought of 3 flights! one is enough. How do ? we just like cruising runs nothing steep or scary. I have heard conflicting reports on the snow levels and quality of snow! how good is the snow in this area. Thanks
snow report
andyarmitage,

Do NOT worry about either the amount or quality of snow in the Banff area. Don't worry about frightening terrain. If you want steep and scary, you can get steep and scary, but if you don't, then no problem.

The best snow will probably be at Sunshine Village. It's on the Continental Divide, so it gets a lot. They don't make snow there because they don't need to. Their ski season runs into June. There are plenty of cruisers. Sunshine Village is cruise paradise. From the top of Lookout Mountain there are long blue trails all the way down, and if you want to try the ungroomed snow, then there are plenty of trails with an unintimidating gradient that will let you experiment. The only drawback to Sunshine is that sometimes it doesn't live up to its name. When the sun is shining, it's brilliant. When it's not, then it can be locked in by cloud, and since most of the trails are above the tree-line, that can mean white-out. This isn't a problem, though: you just look out of your door in the morning (or check the forecast in the hotel lobby) and if it looks like it's going to be cloudy, you go to Lake Louise instead.

At Lake Louise, you have many more trails cut through the trees, and this really helps when the visibility is a bit iffy. The way the weather systems push through the Bow Valley often means that when it's snowing at Sunshine, it's clear at the Lake. - They get less snow at LL, but this is a relative term. There'll still be enough for everyone. I'd suggest that you get over to the back side into the Larch area. It's family friendly with a good mix of blue and green trails.

At Norquay most of the trails are perfectly groomed and while the steeper pitches are ideal for fast cruising, there's a range of gradients to pick from. Also, this tends to be the least crowded area, but it's small, so you won't want to spend a number of days, there. Do, if you can, get the bus trip to Nakiska for a day. This is cruiser central, where the definition of a crowd is more than four skiers on the same trail.

A few years ago (I think it was 2002), the Banff area reported its worst snow year for decades. You could have fooled me. What did this mean? Well, a few more rocks were exposed at the top, and some of the steeper slopes were a bit sketchy, but most of the area was just fine. It's a relative term, and even the poor snow years are good.

Crowds? What crowds? - OK, so at a weekend, there will be more people because it's a short trip from Calgary, but the only times you'll experience long delays is if the lift you're witing for breaks down. Even then, at least you'll be stuck in a civilised lift line. (Unless you're stuck on a chair, in which case just hope that you're sitting with a local: they are very friendly). The only place you're likely to encounter an unpleasantly crowded trail is if you take the ski-out from Sunshine Village to the bottom of the hill at the end of the day. This is basically a cat-track, which can get very congested with a mixture of timid beginners, small kids and reckless teenagers all competing for space. Also, because of the traffic, this can get variously scraped off, icy or slushy (or all three). If conditions are sketchy, and you're feeling tired after a hard day, don't ski down. Instead, have a beer in the Mad Trapper's Saloon then ride down in the gondola.

Hell, I almost wish I was going there again, this year. Ah well, I guess that Whistler will just have to do.
ski holidays
The first time I went to Banff was New Year (98/99 I think). I remeber asking some local in a pub 'will it snow tonight'. The reply was something along the lines of 'not much'.... we got about a foot. In the town. I asked the guy shovelling snow outside the hotel whether that was a 'lot' of snow - and he said 'we don't really bother mentioning it when it's less than a foot'.
even allowing for 'local bragging rights', I was impressed. A crap year in Canada is still a 'good' year compared to Europe... and I've had some good years in Europe, too.
h.

Acacia, thanks for the 'weather' tip... trouble is, it's usually dark when I'm getting that bus... but those coffees on the mountain sure taste good!
ski holidays
andyarmitage wrote:
A friend of mine only told me the other day he had been to banff and i asked him if he got fed up with having to catch buses all the time to which he replied no he loved it there he also stayed at the mount royal hotel and said it was superb.

I don't know you do I? wink

I stayed at the mount Royal quite a while back - it's not particularly special, but does the job; reasonable rooms, reasonable bar, reasonable restaurant, great location (the location is especially good when it's -30 outside and all you have to do is cross the road to get to anywhere you need to be!)
I also had no problems with the buses, in fact I really quite liked the 45 mins bus to Lake louise, we always got an early one which meant the sun was just coming up - the scenery on the way is awesome. You can then go to the restaurant in the main lodge at LL and get an all you can eat buffet breakfast (it was about CA$5 when went in 2000!) and relax watching the sun rising over the mountains. Only down side was the last bus back to banff was quite early so no real 'fall off the mountain' apres opportunity
snow report
hamilton, Thanks for the info Hamilton, actually this entire thread is really useful for us, I can't wait!! are we nearly there yet??? snowHead

If you pick up any useful info/leaflets for particularly good rental shops when you are out there then that would be cool Smile - will check out your links.

Wink
snow report
I'm back to Lake Louise for my fourth time next month. I've tried Europe (Italy & Switzerland) but for me it has to be Canada or the US if I want a holiday worth spending my money on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well, I'm off to Banff (& then Jasper) far too early on Wednesday am - if anyone wants any specific uptodate info, drop me an email and I'll try to post back here.
h.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy