Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quality of Snow at indoor mountains

Poster: A snowHead
I occasionally go to indoor slopes to try and keep my hand in.

But do conditions change throughout the day or perhaps the season at these venues?

I've never had a problem with these places and always found conditions pretty good .. till yesterday.
Any comments?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It varies a lot depending on how busy it is. The snow can get very soft and sugary if it's busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi rob@rar,
That's what I found yesterday .. in fact I decided it was dangerous ...
I went and told them and they gave me my money back.

I was watching people on the slope before I went in and everyone seemed to be traveling quite slow ...
when I went in the snow was very wet .. I popped out of my binding on the first run down and fell.

I was a bit more cautious for two more runs and I thought I had better leave before an ambulance was required.

I told them discretely what I considered so as not to spoil anyone else's party.
Also you never know is it just me?

PS .. I just noticed your signature!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tamworth gets groomed 3 or 4 times a day so is pretty consistent (hardpack) throughout the day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt,

That's what we want more grooming!

Tamworth is a bit far for me though.

I suppose at this time of year our local slopes are just too busy to get the machines out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've only used Ski Dubai - several times - but always as soon as it opened on a Friday - our weekend. Groomed corduroy and excellent 'snow' - wih the occasional mini heap of 'fresh powder' near one or two of the sno-blower machines that had been runnig overnight. Highly Recommended - if you're here-abouts. Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dubaian,
I'l drop in when I'm next going past Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They're a bit like mountains, variable wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know that Tamworth has publicised "closed" times during the day when they do grooming. I've not noticed this at any other indoor slopes - do they do it? Or do they just let the slope get progressively more interesting Toofy Grin for the whole of the day.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just skied a couple of hours on the Hemel slope. I like that it's not groomed much (if at all) through the day, as it makes it more interesting.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They can't groom HH during the day as it needs time to set. Otherwise there would be churned soup. Tamworth being essentially shaved ice presumably behaves differently.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi sugarmoma666,

I agree that its a bit more interesting when its not groomed.

My gripe was that it had become a "slush puppy" (this was at 6pm) and it seemed to be sucking he skis off.
OK it good to have a challenging run down, but I just found it a bit dodgy.

Other people were whining about the ice rink at the top ... but I didn't pay any attention to that.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the Fridge today ... was it slushy for you?

I had a snow report from the Keynes Tal this morning for a couple that had gone up early because it was slushy there yesterday afternoon.

Its probably just the volume of traffic this time of year, and it serves me right for going on the weekend.
I didn't stop around for "Apres Ski" so I cant report.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for taking part in this thread, I think I've got to grow up a little and realise its just like the real mountains ...
some days are good and some days you just don't go.

I'm rather pleased that we have these facilities so that we can hone up our bad habits before we go off and show the Austrians how it should be done.

And its just a million miles better than skiing on that toothbrush stuff we had to use back in the day.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the chill factor has the best snow of all uk fridges bar non. but tamworth is the most interesting Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found mount Hemel hard work when I was there a few weeks ago. Decided that coffee was a better option although is only just got back from the real stuff so my heart wasn't in it.
latest report
I like Tamworth snow the best, it's hard and smooth and doesn't get soft and churned up. However, it does get a few icy patches.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Same here, and the slope has the bend and gradient changes though the dip on the inside of the bend to make it more interesting (and realistic when you go round the blind corner to find a snowboarder sitting in your path!)
ski holidays
An instructor in Selva once informed me surprisingly, that the best snow (on a mountain) is a combination of cannoned (artificial) and natural snow. Not 100% natural. By that token, fridge snow wouldn't be the best. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
slushy snow gives rise to extra challenges, and if skied casually can lead to injury. As is often the case in difficult conditions, good technique will get you through it, while poor technique (which can get you down a nicely groomed piste with perfect snow) could land you in trouble.
ski holidays
Peterkct, I learnt at Tamworth, second week in the mountains was the last but one week of the season in Val Thorens, I had a way easier time learning to deal with the afternoon slush than most of the other 1/2/3 week skiers who'd learnt on nice snow had learning to deal with the beautiful Tamworth like first thing in the morning hard packed (or as they though icy) corduroy!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 2-03-14 23:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I did quite a bit of skiing at the Milton Keynes snow/ice/fibreglass (delete as appropriate) dome, when I first started. I often cope better on sheet ice than many skiers who are otherwise better than me.
latest report
Well you learn something every day, I assumed that the snow in all the fridges would be the same, and only ever having skied at Hemel I wouldn't know any different.
ski holidays
karin, Think Tamworth is the most different, hardpack bordering on icy, pretty consistent snow through the day however busy it is thanks to the starting condition and being groomed during the day (it was the first one built in the UK and the snow is ice shavings) Castleford and Chill Factore seem pretty similar, deeper softer snow that does get cut up and moved around by use through the day. Haven't skied at MK or Hemel but guess they are similar to Cas and Chill. All fun in different ways.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 3-03-14 12:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Castleford can vary wildly, but it generally ends up with a big area of deep softer snow at the bottom which can make the last 20-30 yards "interesting" if its busy. Might just be my dodgy eyesight but often have trouble distinguishing the softer snow and it's led to a few less than elegant stops
ski holidays
Hemel's stock in trade used to be that they had better snow than the others. Recently it's been pretty bad though, extremely sugary. Found Tamworth quite good, apart from overcrowding (but that's the fault of me choosing a stupid day to go).
latest report
Tamworth seems to quieting down again now, we were there this Saturday morning just gone as Toastertalby went to the junior club. Other than the JC kids tearing round like the future Olympic skiers some of them probably are and a few beginners lessons in the bottom few metres it was pretty quiet. The Sunday night before we had a bit of a snowHeads meetup for the evening session and it was really quiet, again just a few lessons going on using the bottom half of slope but plenty of space for a good fast ski.
ski holidays
I went to MK on Saturday not my usual place or day to go!! Snow was pretty fun actually very sugar like and quite deep in places which made it interesting for me.

The big but about it was that for beginners it was proving to be a nightmare as they where catching skis all over the place in the soft snow down the sides, plus I think due to this the patrol people actually asked two people to leave the slope as they could not handle it which was a bit of a shame really
ski holidays
Quote:

Hemel's stock in trade used to be that they had better snow than the others. Recently it's been pretty bad though, extremely sugary.

I went to Hemel before Christmas and it was awful, worst indoor snow I have ever had. 100% sugar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
livetoski wrote:
I went to MK on Saturday not my usual place or day to go!! Snow was pretty fun actually very sugar like and quite deep in places which made it interesting for me.

The big but about it was that for beginners it was proving to be a nightmare as they where catching skis all over the place in the soft snow down the sides, plus I think due to this the patrol people actually asked two people to leave the slope as they could not handle it which was a bit of a shame really

MK was super sugary and SLOW the day of the SH/EB ski test. Really didn't show demo skis in their best light. Felt like everthing had been waxed with superglue.
ski holidays
fatbob,
Quote:

MK was super sugary and SLOW

I didn't find it too slow but then again was on some nice Preacher Carbons had to have quite a good two footed stance all the time in the deep sugar but felt pretty nice really Toofy Grin

I really did feel for one bloke, he was on skinny slope skis and kept getting his inside ski all tangled up in the soft snow on every turn, which meant he fell about every turn, I wanted to go and give him a hand but the patrol people where watching him really carefully and I was giving my daughter and her husband as much instruction as I dare without being told off Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
Hemel's stock in trade used to be that they had better snow than the others. Recently it's been pretty bad though, extremely sugary.

This has been what I've found too - it got a bit crap over the summer when they were putting less snow on it, and the ice patches were huge at the top by the end of the day as a result. I stopped going in December (can't afford anything but the monthly unlimited passes) and went back a week ago only to find the snow was still pants and slow, there was just more of it. Also (and I feel old for saying this) I couldn't get over how badly behaved the lift queue was. Maybe it was just a winter thing?

It's putting me off going again to be honest - I left the place angry and not having enjoyed my riding at all because the snow was so much work and there was a high percentage of people with absolutely zero manners. MK is an utter hole and I find the changing areas really unpleasant but might have to revisit going there instead. MK used to close the slope for an hour or so at 6pm-ish for grooming - not sure if they still do that though?

I feel like Hemel are cutting corners to make maximum profit now. If the snow was just rubbish now because of the crowds it'd be fair enough, but it's not - it's consistently bad in different ways.
ski holidays
At the risk of being completely shouted down, I'd rather ski on a decent Dendix slope than in a fridge - at least the surface is consistent over the whole slope, it's smooth, and you can use the whole slope area rather than having to avoid the piled up stuff at the edges and the bottom! However, therein lies another problem, are there any dry slopes that can afford to make the investment to keep the mat in good nick, and therefore is there actually a decent Dendix slope?
latest report
Dendix is actually made of loads of detached mummified thumbs, glued together.
snow report
I find the snow at Manchester and Hemel Hempstead significantly better than the snow at Milton Keynes, although the layout at MK is more interesting. Have had a lot of fun snowboarding at Hemel.

Edit: although that said it's well over a year since I've been to HH, it maybe isn't what it was.
snow conditions
karin wrote:
At the risk of being completely shouted down, I'd rather ski on a decent Dendix slope than in a fridge - at least the surface is consistent over the whole slope, it's smooth, and you can use the whole slope area rather than having to avoid the piled up stuff at the edges and the bottom! However, therein lies another problem, are there any dry slopes that can afford to make the investment to keep the mat in good nick, and therefore is there actually a decent Dendix slope?

Midlothian Snowsports Centre, or Hillend as the regulars still call it, has benefitted from some good investment in recent years. They build a new run from the top stage a couple of years ago. The "Face" on the upper part of original main slope is still a challenge for most people.

My 6 year old has really benefitted from learning on the Dendix and the occasional foray on to snow. In a year he has progrssed from never having been on skis to doing red and blacks in Val d'Isere this year with a little bit of "off piste" i.e. in lovely powder off the edge of the piste, thrown in.

I'm not sure I would agree that the Dendix is better than skiing in a fridge as we have only done it once (at Braehead) and we found it quite pleasant. However, Hillend has a much greater vertical than an fridge and that is a definite plus.
ski holidays
karin wrote:
are there any dry slopes that can afford to make the investment to keep the mat in good nick, and therefore is there actually a decent Dendix slope?

Gloucester and Norwich are with little doubt the top two dendix slopes in England: very well maintained and great facilities. Others which I've skied and found in good condition are (in no particular order) Sunderland, Pendle, Ackers (Birmingham) and Ipswich. Pontypool (S.Wales) and Southampton have interesting designs and are well worth a visit but both could do with a little more TLC. Rossendale is also a fantastic place to ski (great views, brilliant cafe) but did have a reputation for poor conditions when it was run by the council - not sure if the new operators have improved it much.
snow report
Hi Guys

I will attempt to give you an insight in to the stuff we all love ( most of the time)!

Indoor snow, as variable as a mountain but in a very small contained area. I have just come in from a 3 hours early bird session at The Snow Centre and as you would expect at this time the snow is really quite good. Is starts with groomed, them chopped groomed, then variable…but still fun to ski in/on.

Following the busiest winter and more recently half term since we opened the snow has indeed been very well used. This obviously leads to a breaking down of the quality ( just as it does in a mountain resort). However, un like a mountain resort we have to find space and opportunities for all our groups with various needs. The piste carvers want a firm solid groomed slope, the freestyle community want it to be a permanent park, the racers want slalom set every day and the freeriders actually like the bumpy and variable conditions. Using my favourite resort as an example ( Hintertux) you can find all this in the same place in its own zone. Unfortunately we done have the capacity for this : (

However I would say that picking your visit time can lead to an experience that matches your desire. If I went to an Alpine ski resort to ski / ride at 3pm the snow would be quite different for the 8am first lift experience ( especially in high season or later in the season). However if it was variable and bumpy snow I was looking for, them a later morning session may be better ( let them bumps soften up).

All that said, off the back of such a busy period we are now implementing a plan to improve snow conditions. This includes the removal of 400 tons of old snow ( over a period of time), Increasing snow making and chilling the snow box down for longer. In the summer months after Easter the opening hours a slightly shorter so we gain some useful repair time when we can work on snow management.

Over grooming of the snow actually damages the snow. It looks nice for a short period of time but quite quickly breaks down leading to a bigger problem ( you need to move more “dead” snow more often).

If you like groomed piste come early for the first few hours ( 7am Tuesday with FREE coaching and coffee, 10am every other week day, 8am Saturday and Sunday), if you like bumpy and variable snow come later, if you like freestyle come Thursday and Friday evening. We are working on the snow so you will see an improvement over the next few weeks.

One thing I am sure of is you will still be able to ski here in August when Mayrhofen is closed ; )

Thanks for your feedback Guys.

Pete

Pete Gillespie
Head of Snowsports / Customer service Manager
BASI level 4 / Alpine Trainer ISIA
snow report
RobW wrote:
Gloucester and Norwich are with little doubt the top two dendix slopes in England: very well maintained and great facilities.

Slightly OT but I live not all that far from Gloucester and have never skied an artificial slope - is it worth going over for an afternoon, or have I been spoiled by 25 years on snow?
ski holidays
northernsoulboy wrote:
RobW wrote:
Gloucester and Norwich are with little doubt the top two dendix slopes in England: very well maintained and great facilities.

Slightly OT but I live not all that far from Gloucester and have never skied an artificial slope - is it worth going over for an afternoon, or have I been spoiled by 25 years on snow?

You won't know until you try. Dendix is not for everyone and given that you have never skied on it and have 25 years on snow then I'd take a guess and say that it may not be for you. Me, on the other hand, learned on Dendix so I'm used to it.

The biggest issue with Dendix is it can be very slow and "tuggy" if it isn't wet. Hillend installed a sprinker system a number of years ago to eliminate that issue.
ski holidays
northernsoulboy, Yes it is worth a visit - even if only to discover that skiing well on Dendix is more difficult than skiing well on snow. You could also come along one weekend when the summer races are on and watch some of the runs - I think the first race of summer is on 19th April.

And there is a new sprinkler system on the top half of the race slope which makes it very quick.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy