Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last-minute Austria - impossible?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I find myself with two weeks between jobs, starting next weekend (Saturday 8 March).
I'd really like to go skiing in Austria - I don't want to go to France as I've spent so much time there in recent years for reasons I won't bore you with.
I thought it would be fairly straightforward: go online, find a cheap last minute package, stay in a nice Austrian hotel (they always seem excellent), perhaps pay a supplement as I'm on my own.
In fact, it's looking very difficult. Yesterday, I went to the Crystal site, and there were a few options. But when I tried to select any, they were gone.
I looked at Easyjet (cheap to Innsbruck) and tried emailing hotels in the Solden, Hochgurgl and Obergurgl areas, and they seem full, or very expensive.
Ugh. This is not looking easy!
Any advice welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GWPD, I think somebody on another thread said something about Fasching - and it's generally peak season everywhere at the moment. It's not going to be cheap. Hope you find something. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's Fasching next week so you should be ok from the 8th. I usually use booking.com or the local tourist info website, last holiday was booked through airbnb.com. Looking on booking.com for those areas they do seem to be a bit more expensive than I would expect, is it UK holidays?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I just did a DIY to neiderau, fly to Munich. (6 flights a day with BA, and probably loads of other options too, lufty? Air Berlin? Ezy?). Car hire then easy drive down to the a12 through the inn valley and we peeled off at wurgl to go to neiderau but I'm sure you can access many other resorts easily from there. We booked hotel direct as we had stayed there before but im sure booking.com etc can sort you.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, well i just managed to book easyjet to Innsbruck and a remarkably good deal on a guesthouse hotel in Kaprun for one week.
And will have a couple of days free at the end of that week.. just need to decide where to go after that.
So it can be done!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Most of the tourist offices have a booking service or have a system where when you enquire they send your enquiry on to people (anything from hotels to B&Bs and hostels) with vacancies to respond to you.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GWPD, Don't quite understand why you would fly to Innsbruck and then trawl all that way over to Kaprun????

There are so many good options for skiing nearby from Innsbruck. You could even stay in Innsbruck itself and take advantage of the free bus service to nearby resorts each day.

Resorts such as these, just a sample of some near and not so far from Innsbruck: - Axamer Lizum, Schlick 200, Kuhtai, Seefeld, Solden,Serfaus, Zell am Ziller and many many more there are loads of options.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is always one of the most popular weeks for ski holidays - every year, I have no idea why. This is the preferred week with our group and invariably there will be someone who wants to join us later on but the hotel, flights or both are full!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GWPD wrote:
Ugh. This is not looking easy!

It is though. Wasn't even trying and found plenty on booking.com in Solden

Not sure I'd want two whole weeks in any one place though. If you have car you can always just go on spec and move around. You'll have no problem getting rooms.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go to Innsbruck, and stay in Innsbruck. It's brilliant!
Just got back from a short trip there. Can't beat it.
12 mins, 2 Euro bus transfer from airport to city centre. 38 Euros B&B in the wonderful Weisses Kreuz hotel.
Then you've got the Nordkette ski area funicular just a 5 minute walk away.
Three areas directly accessibly by tram (Schlick, Igls and Mutteralm). Tons more accessible by free bus (including the enormous Stubai glacier). Then loads of big name resorts an easy train ride away (St Ant, Kitz, Mayrhof etc). This map quite handy to plan rail trips to the local resorts http://www.rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx plus there's an app too https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/the-alps-ski-resort-rail-map/id610342489?mt=8
It's a no brainer!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 3-03-14 11:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Neil Neige, This sounds great. I'm working on permission for a sneaky few days somewhere but won't get away until at least 31st March. Any idea on likely snow conditions for first week in April in the Innsbruck area?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's hard to say, really. The Stubai glacier will probably have pretty much everything open, and Kuhtai is very high too (most is above 2,000m).
The more local resorts should definitely have some stuff open but it will obviously depend on the weather/snow conditions nearer the time.
They all have snow canons though so should be able to keep the main runs open to the bottom of the hill even if they're a bit slushy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy