Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to eat bwetween Calais and Reims

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - we've got a 19.00 tunnel booking Fri 4th April and a hotel booked in Reims and we need to figure somewhere to get something to eat somewhere between the two ? Does anyone know what time the service area restaurants close ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The restaurants in Cite Europe will be open then, there are a reasonable variety of places to eat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
With those timings I'd suggest the chippy in Cheriton. Come off the M20 at J12, the one after the chunnel junction, head right and the chippy is about 400 yds on your right - almost opposite the (BP?) garage.

Once you are France, then usual place to stop is the Aire de Urvillirs(sp?) south of S.Quentin. But if all else fails there is always MacDonalds as you get into Reims: just take the second slip off after the toll and its on the 2nd roundabout - 1 Rue de la Croix Maurencienne 51370 Saint-Brice-Courcelles France - according to Google.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RobW, ha, good shout re the chippy, we always fill up at that garage. Any idea what time it closes, we're on midnight Chunnel Fri/ Saturday weekend coming and a chip supper would be great if still open.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, what a testament to French gastronomy this thread is - MacDonalds in France and chips in England. rolling eyes wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica, Given that the OP will be in the tunnel during the key French eating time (7-9pm) then at least both of those will be open when they go past.

This past New Year we were in Les Arcs, racing most evenings. And then we had to drive back down to Bourg St Maurice. By the time we got there, it was well gone 9 o'clock - not the sort of time to start looking for a nice French restaurant. So we alternated between MacDonalds and the Pizza place - both fulfilled the need for food at that time. The owner of the hotel we were staying in made an additional suggestion: the kebab shop...

Elder son (12) has since announced that he thinks MacDonalds is rubbish...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobW, the clue that this was a joke is in the winky smiley.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Actually, in the OP's place, I would be bringing a nice picnic. And I assume that you didn't have any self-catering facilities yourselves at New Year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mikeh, the rest area restaurants will probably still be open but a bit "tail end of the day" ish. But there'll be something to eat - I'd stop at the first one you get to, as you'll lose the hour crossing into French time.

The chippie sounds a good idea if you're hungry at that stage.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pedantica, Yes, I knew you weren't being entirely serious...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mikeh, there's a brasserie in the centre of Reims which is open late. http://www.les3brasseurs.com/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've eaten there a couple of times, the food is really good, they brew their own beer too which is wonderful Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ah, that's better!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Pedantica on this. We always take some sandwiches and other goodies, plus a thermos of coffee. Then you can stop and eat where you want: UK motorway, tunnel, French motorway.
I'm a great fan of the French Aire network. Much better than any motorway cafe.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for the picnic. What you want, when you want. Most restaurants shut around 9pm.
ski holidays
If that Reims place will still be open, it looks good. But you won't get there till after 11 pm - might be a tad hungry before then. Maybe take sarnies to keep you going and have a few beers there on arrival?
ski holidays
Jonpim, I used to drive the length of France a lot in the past, but then had a long gap until some drives in the last couple of years. I was very disappointed to note that the offerings in the aires seemed to have reduced and deteriorated quite substantially. They seem to major in greasy pizzas and unappetizingly floppy sandwiches, rather than the 'plats du jour' and proper baguettes of yesteryear. Sad Or was I just unlucky in choice of aires?
latest report
My experience of the autoroute aires is pretty mixed. Some of the hot food is grim.

Recently we look out for ones that have a "Paul" concession. Good patisserie and straight off the knife fresh sandwiches/baguettes. Not too expensive. You can find them here: http://www.paul.fr/shop/fr-FR/Shops

Aire d'Urvilliers near St Quentin has one and I reckon that will our stop between Tunnel and Reims this Friday night.
snow report
Pedantica, I don't mean the places with restaurants and petrol, but those places with just picnic tables and toilets.
Some also have childrens play areas (I've spent many happy moments on swings and things when no one else about)
ski holidays
Le Comptoir du Malt in Cite Europe does very similar food and beer to the brasserie in Reims, I've eaten there many times as well as the one in Abbeville http://www.lecomptoirdumalt.fr/
snow report
Jonpim, ah, sorry. Those are indeed a marvellous invention.
latest report
My daughter always refused to use the tolets in those, awkward madam, she'd rather queue for one in the larger Aires Sad
snow report
I have had some lovely summer picnics in those small aires - they are not so inviting in winter and the loos are generally holes in the ground.

Food in the larger aires does vary a lot. I quite like the "help yourself" salad bars. Makes a good light meal with a bread roll and a coffee. But they don't all have them.
snow report
Thanks all for the suggestions - a picnics a good idea and also Cite Europe - and we're headed for the Hotel Bleu at St Brice, so we've got the Mac D as a fall back
ski holidays
pam w, i think you will find lots of the Aires full of crocuses and daffodils right now - rather pretty
But i agree about the toilets. Another cross for you ladies to bear. Not so bad for the blokes.
snow conditions
Ladies should just use the disabled facilities in the aires.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I have had some lovely summer picnics in those small aires - they are not so inviting in winter and the loos are generally holes in the ground.

The disabled loo always has a proper loo in it wink
snow conditions
Hells Bells, genepi, +1 Cool though you still need to bring your own loo roll in my experience.

I can recommend a nice restaurant in Arras if you want to make a stop for a proper dinner, less than an hour from Calais and en route, http://www.hotelcarnot.com/uk/index.php the brasserie does a very nice set menu as well as a la carte too. We've been there a couple of times but when we've been staying in Arras. If we're staying in Reims we usually arrive in time to eat in the hotel restaurant there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
genepi wrote:
pam w wrote:

The disabled loo always has a proper loo in it wink

They may well have a proper loo though try getting to it on crutches when the floor is wet, there are no handles/aids and then getting out before the automatic cleaning shower starts Laughing

Luckily April '11 was a poor year for April snow but the weather was warm on the return drive Cool
latest report
igLou, they are always a bit of an experience. We stopped off for a quick loo stop in December somewhere, but as they were hosing out the loos, I crossed my legs for quite a while before we could stop again.
snow conditions
igLou wrote:
the automatic cleaning shower starts Laughing

Puzzled Puzzled what's this? I don't believe I have encountered this (yet)
latest report
sarah, you can get loos that automatically clean (the whole room) when you leave and before the next visitor. This one was out of sync Laughing
All we had was an opened out Tesco carrier bag (so not thick!) that OH had to move around so I could partially rest my bandaged foot in transit Laughing I did feel for people who weren't just temporarily less able like me. There were no 'aids' whatsoever and a hole in the ground would have been easier for most I would have thought.

Anyway, this has become more of a where to pee threat instead of where to eat Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Quote:

where to pee threat

Shocked

For years we carried a potty in the car for my daughter should the aires by hole loos. What we tend to do now is stop to get fresh bread from a larger Aire, loo stop etc and then drive onto a smaller aire to stop and eat
ski holidays
Boris, Laughing
and we also used to carry a potty, and a large bottle. Now we carry a bucket which has many uses Laughing

igLou, nope...I have definitely not had that pleasure Laughing
snow report
We drive through the night, and have no probs finding anywhere to eat, or pee for that matter. Although, that being said, I normally drive the Calais - Reims (and beyond) stretch, so there are normally no stops on my watch, everyone is usually snoring, and I'm normally knocking back the incredibly strong French coffee which we stock up on! Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy