Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee Blanche

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Courmayeur tomorrow, and it's just a short hop to Chamonix, having never done it (The VB) I thought I might give it a lash. I'll join a group, I'm with Crystal and they mention it in their blurb, so I'm guessing they'll put me on a bus/get a guide/sort lift pass/avi kit etc. A couple of questions;

Would Tuesday or Wednesday be a good day if I get the choice?
Any idea roughly how long the uplift/VB run takes?
If the trip is over in the morning, any suggestions for a cruise in the afternoon?
Anything else I should know? (I'm a solo boarder, I know about the flat/run out at the bottom)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When I did the trip from Courmayeur (some time ago) with Inghams, doing the Vallee Blanche and getting back took pretty much the whole day. In the morning you get two lifts up on the Italian side and then ski the run which takes a few hours from memory. We then took the train down the last part to Chamonix and waited there for a coach to take us back through the tunnel to Courmayeur. We were dropped at a car park at the far side of the ski area so had to get a lift back up and ski down to the cable car to get back to Courmayeur town. I was on skis so no idea what it would be like on a snowboard. It is one of the most memorable skiing days I've had. Was lucky to get a sunny day with blue skies and deep fresh powder at the top. I think Inghams only offered the Vallee blanche trip one day. However they offered other day outings to Argentiere and La Thuile as well. Maybe Crystal offer similar trips?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the Lift you mention is closed at the moment, so I think it will be bus over lift up from the Chamonix side, then bus back. I guess.

Pila and La Thuile are mentioned in the Crystal blurb, but I've been told on another thread that the bus ride is €4 so I might just hop on a bus and solo it. Should be a fun trip if I fit it all in. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi rogg, & snowymum,
I've never managed to do The Vallee Blanche, something has always got in the way.

It really depends on the weather and if the reps can get a big enough group together.
Crystal and the other holiday companies often try and join up on these events as you need to go with a guide.

But so far I've been unlucky.

Just a note on the area:
The scenery is absolutely breathtaking, I cant understand why Courmayer is such an under rated resort I think its wonderful.
Its also very good for strolling through in the evening and taking in the bars in the early evening.
The apres ski is not rowdy.
Your holiday company is much more likely to offer you a day trip to Pila .. which has a lift right from the supermarket car park in Aosta.
But a much better place to visit if you can persuade them is La Thuile which is also a fantastic ski area taking you over to France at La Rossier

Anyway have a good time I'm just jealous that I not doing it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did it a few years ago. There was a snowboarder on our group. We had to give her a few tows on the flatter lower part.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks peeps. I'm going to go with the flow. It seems this trip has been a bug from the start. People in/out/in again/out again wanting to go to one pace, then another, then wanting 'perfect powder' because their mate had scored, just an organisational nightmare. In the end I just booked for myself, before my allotted time window ran out with the plan of flying solo, so things were easy. If there's a group going, hopefully midweek I'll join it. If not ho hum. I do hear you can Heli in the Aosta valley though...............
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg, please let us know if you do it and what it's like. We're in Courmayeur with Crystal the following week and hoping to ski the Vallee Blanche too. snowHead
The weather forecast is for it to brighten up for the 2nd half of next week so that might be a better time to go for the views.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RachelQ, wow, Rach, no stopping you now! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One more thing rogg,
You've got to try an "Oirish Coffee" in Bar Roma in the main street ....
It may not be like your mammy made it ... but it takes the Italians to get the coffee bit right.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DrLawn, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DrLawn, haha. My Mammy's Somerset born and bred, as am I. I'm a big coffee fan though so I'll make sure I give it a go.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RachelQ, If you get the chance do it. Very Happy

Bar Roma for Apres Ski and you don't need to eat for the rest of the day Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pedantica wrote:
RachelQ, wow, Rach, no stopping you now! Very Happy Very Happy

+1 excellent!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, look who's talking! Toofy Grin
Pedantica, I'm only doing it if the sun's shining and the sky's blue and with my fingers crossed that I'll be fit enough. snowHead
Bar Roma sounds good. Enjoy your week rogg Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RachelQ, holidayloverxx, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Cheers peeps. Off to the bus now.
ski holidays
rogg, you sound as if you are travelling alone and so must join a group with a guide - you are skiing on a glacier with crevasses Skullie

Oops sorry, boarding, but still crevasses.
And you are aware that most of the run is nearly flat as it is on the glacier suggest you google " boarding the VB" for further advice.
ski holidays
Scrumpy wrote:
rogg, you sound as if you are travelling alone and so must join a group with a guide - you are skiing on a glacier with crevasses Skullie

Oops sorry, boarding, but still crevasses.
And you are aware that most of the run is nearly flat as it is on the glacier suggest you google " boarding the VB" for further advice.

+1 If you can ski well, then ski it. Otherwise you'll have some looong walks. Well worth it though Very Happy
snow report
I did VB on a board last year with some mates (2nd week of March too). It was excellent. There was only one place where it was necessary to get the poles out (going round a "corner" to get round / over a crevasse). The very long flat bit is no problem at all, if you are able to ride with your base flat and can absorb some up-and-down undulations (think: small flat moguls). It was awesome, and a Wed or Thurs is probably better than Friday, as that's when everyone tries to go. If you're going over from Cham side, get to the lift early.
snow conditions
The VB is just amazing (although the airy ridge walk at the start and the abseil off the glacier at the end shouldn't be underestimated) and is highly recommended.

We did have some powder but in places the run was skied into a piste. Still fantastic though - the scenery and wilderness surroundings (especially if you haven't done much off piste) are just brilliant.

snow report
Abseil? What abseil?
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Abseil? What abseil?

Ditto. Didn't do any of that abseiling malarky when I did it Shocked
snow conditions
Nor did we!

I'm sure I've got a photo taken from exactly the same place as the 4th one down.

It's definitely one of my most memorable ski days, I've never seen scenery like it.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, didn't follow the "classic route"
latest report
Only done the VB the once - and as far as we were aware/led to believe - did the normal tourist route. Two of us booked the regular VB day trip online as part of a group. At that time we hadn't done much off piste - so definitely wouldn't have wanted to do anything radical. In fact Mrs MA would have killed me if I'd knowingly booked an abseil or anything difficult!

IIRC, after the Mer de Glace, the guide bore left a bit....took us through an ice cave and told us that the only way off the glacier was to abseil. So we assumed that that was always the case? Maybe it depends on conditions? Snow cover was excellent and we skied all the way back to Chamonix - is it possible that you don't do that bit of the route if you get the train down Puzzled
latest report
mountainaddict, sounds brilliant, but, no, it's not the usual route. snowHead normally, any time I've done it, from the end of the Mer du Glace you hike up to the train, or to the run down. Sounds like your guide wanted a little extra fun? May of course be all to do with conditions on the day.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 4-03-14 11:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Hey all. Thanks for the replies.

I didn't end up doing the VB. Crystal reps in resort were useless. I tried to book/join a group on the coach, and heard nothing more. Texted the crystal team in resort, no reply. Bumped into the rep and asked for info and tried to book. Heard nothing until I got a text saying can I get payment, you're booked And going at 830 tomorrow, this arrived at 5pm. I rang the number and cancelled with the rep because I'd organised another trip myself. I met the guide in the hotel reception the next day and he had me written down on his lust and seemed quite agitated. My piece of advice - avoid the crystal team!!!!
ski holidays
I once asked a crystal rep what sort of terrain he liked to ski, he looked confused so I asked him what skiing level he was. He replied "medium" as if I'd just asked him how he liked his steak cooked.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked with a guide for the VB with 2 others for Sunday 23rd March so I am hoping that a bit of new snow gets put down before then.

Does anyone know what the various normal VB routes are currently looking like?
ski holidays
under a new name We did hike up a bit before the descent to Chamonix - at the top of the uphill bit was a little hut selling cold beer (etc) Very Happy - fantastic! So presumably we were back on the normal route before then? Unless we were on a 'Carlsberg don't do incredible off piste' type advert wink....
ski holidays
Like Mountainaddict, our group was also treated to the "abseil." We were advised that it was the only route off the glacier - and that did indeed appear to be the case, as two groups ahead of ours were also lowered on a rope. At that point it did appear that we were in a very narrow "ice valley" with a steep drop to the path out below. From the bottom of the rope descent we climbed a short distance up a path to the refreshment hut mentioned above.

It wasn't so much an abseil as a vertical side slip while holding on to a rope. It was all very exhilarating but one slip would have led to a fall into a crevasse...

A great experience, however - and memorable not least for the fact that one of the lads in our group muttered to me (as he began his descent on the rope), "If you lot weren't here I would stand and cry!" And he meant it! He, and one other member of our party, had only 2 weeks' skiing under his belt prior to attempting the Vallee Blanche. They both did exceptionally well! Very Happy
ski holidays
rogg wrote:
Crystal reps in resort were useless.

Why do you need the TO to arrange it for you? There are multiple companies providing guides for the VB.
snow report
dogwatch wrote:
rogg wrote:
Crystal reps in resort were useless.

Why do you need the TO to arrange it for you? There are multiple companies providing guides for the VB.

I was in Courmayeur, so needed bus, liftpass, avi gear (?), maybe a pole because I snowboard, so I did it because it was supposed to be easy. You ask someone, it gets organised. I'm on holiday, I don't want to be running around tracking down companies who might be able to organise a minibus, guide, equipment etc. Simples. (or it was supposed to be).
snow report
We skied the Vallee Blanche last Wednesday, also went with Crystal, also asked our rep if she could organise it but never heard anything from her. So we sorted it out ourselves with the Courmayeur Office de Guides, which we found above the Bar de Guides! They came to our hotel to collect our group of seven, took us up to the lift, fitted us with harnesses, and dropped us back at the end of the day. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy