Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Long weekend - St Anton?

Poster: A snowHead
Have a group of chums who I do a long weekend (usually Weds to Sunday - or "nearly a week" as my Mrs calls it), and in the last couple of years we've been to Chamonix (my favourite resort) and Morzine. The PdS worked better than Cham as it's a mixed ability group, so we could split up, do our thing and meet up later for beers and stories.

Wondering about where for next year. Criteria are:

Short transfer - ideally a reliable less than 90 minutes.
Flights available from Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool (I suppose East Midlands at a push, but Leeds the preference)
Good variety of skiing with some accessible off-piste but also plenty of cruisy blues and reds
Decent apres - we're "beers after skiing" rather than clubbers
Ideally chalet accommodation available, but hotel would be ok. Prefer not to self-cater.

I wondered about St Anton, but that sort of relies on there being flights to Innsbruck, which I struggled with last year when I went for a short break - the flights seemed to be aimed at 7 day trips. Anywhere else is a bit of a trek to St Anton from memory.

Anywhere else i should consider? We all really liked PdS but we're probably going back there with the kids next year so somewhere else would be good.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monarch do Manchester to Innsbruck...

Easyjet do LBA to Geneva, within 90 mins you've got the Flaine area inc the satellite villages

or start working thru this list Smile

http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and some info on the flaine area here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109054&highlight=
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We flew to Friedrichshafen, Monarch last time we went to St Anton. We have also flown to Zurich and got the train direct to St Anton from Zurich main station, that works well also. Ischgl is also a good venue in Austria as is Solden.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not sure if Monarch fly every day to Innsbruck though, do they? I think it's only once a week in January when we usually go - it gets more frequent in Feb, but then I'd be doing two trips in about a fortnight! Is Zurich's quite a long journey by train (looked into it last year)? - again I'll have a gander though as I do like trains, and would do a slightly longer train journey over a minibus any day.

Thought about Grand Massif - apres in Flaine not much fun from memory - I'll have a look at the link thanks.

Thanks all - keep 'em coming!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Zurich airport to St Anton is 2hrs 45mins, so quite a long journey, and unfortunately Monarch don't start doing midweek flights til 5 Feb, which is too late really, as we're out again on 15 Feb.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thinking Zurich might be the answer having had a think - as there's likely to be a wider range of flights from Manchester (Swiss, so do you get ski carriage included?). Could even do Zurich one way and Innsbruck home on the Sunday. And I guess if we're not going to be able to ski on day 1 a slightly longer transfer isn't really an issue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
andy from embsay, We struggled with a long weekend in St. Anton so had to do a full week Toofy Grin . However, we transferred to St.A form Zurich airport by Train. Dead easy, not too expensive, about 2hrs and much better than hiring a car Very Happy.

I think, based on your criteria above, that if you can't get to St. Anton go to Verbier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We flew Swiss to Zurich from Manchester and when we did it skis were included, the train journey is 21/2 hours but works like clockwork and is really easy plus you get direct to the resort right by the bus station. We booked in seats in advance on the train directly on the website which is worth doing. Piece of cake and quite enjoyable really.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kaiser846 and halfhand - thanks both. I've suggested Swiss to Zurich and train to St Anton - as you say about 2.5 hrs but direct from the airport and pretty cheap all things considered. It means not skiing on the first and last day, but despite our best intentions we never seem to ski on the last day and spend it wandering round buying toblerones so a nice relaxing train journey sounds just the job.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy from embsay, One change at the main station in Zurich but yes it's very convenient.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy from embsay wrote:
Zurich airport to St Anton is 2hrs 45mins, so quite a long journey, and unfortunately Monarch don't start doing midweek flights til 5 Feb, which is too late really, as we're out again on 15 Feb.

We did Thursday to Sunday in jan with monarch last year....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
andy from embsay wrote:

We did Thursday to Sunday in jan with monarch last year....

Not next year, unless they're going to add some more flights.

Does the OBB Railjet to St Anton require a change? I was looking on Swisspass and that didn't mention a change, though i think Rail Europe does.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay, Two posts up wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
halfhand wrote:
andy from embsay, Two posts up wink

Yep, saw that - it's just the Swisspass site doesn't mention it so I wondered if it was a special "ski train" or something. Assume the change is pretty straightforward.
snow report
Innsbruck to st Anton is less than an hours drive and really easy
latest report
londonbg wrote:
Innsbruck to st Anton is less than an hours drive and really easy

Yes, i've done it before but flights from the north are weekends only in Jan, so I think zurich and the train will be best.
ski holidays
Ok, so the travel is sorted - flights manchester to zurich going out at 0840, home at 1715. It'll mean no skiing on arrival or departure day, but three full days is ok as we'll be away for a week a month later.

Now then, St Anton experts - hotels/chalets/b&bs - any recommendations for places that'll do a 4 night break? Several are saying saturday to saturday only, which I guess is understandable this far out - but I can't see the place being sold out in mid-January so hopefully something'll come up - but are there any places you'd recommend for this type of thing? Prefer a catered chalet but not sure if such things exist in St Anton, so a decent small hotel would be great.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, best just to search for accommodation using the tourist office website:

http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/home/2.html

I've just booked a pension for next weekend. I don't think you'll get a catered chalet as there aren't very many of them and most are run by tour operators. I always book a B and B as the town is full of reasonably priced restaurants.
ski holidays
Thanks Kelskii, nothing available just now, but very early, I guess.
latest report
Echo the comment about a catered chalet, most are TO's offering week only deals. You may get lucky last minute with somebody like Supertravel who I know in the past have had short stay guests in under-occupied chalets. Otherwise, as Kelskii says, have a look at the accom list on the TVB website and get in touch nearer the time.
snow report
Cheers for everyone's help. About to press "buy" on the flights, as they're now £136, so can't see them getting much cheaper - which seems pretty good for a flight including bags.
snow report
We always stay in Untergand which is far end of the resort, nothing there but it is first bus stop (always get a seat) and if you get the bus by the fire station the bus goes up the main road and only stops twice, you are in town in 5 minutes or so. The B&B we have stayed in a couple of times, the Alpenrose, charged us 36 euros per night and you get a ticket to leave your skis and boots in the Intersport right by the Galzig lift. The Alpenrose is also very close to the bus stop at the fire station and also the one that goes through the resort, loads of stops on this one. Our routine was ski down via Mooserwirt, dump the skis and boots and hit the town, arrive back at B&B any time between 10pm and 2ish depending on how the night goes. This worked out great for us. If you like to go back to B&B and spruce up before going out later this probably isn't the best for you as it is a fair way out of town.
ski holidays
andy from embsay, what sort of a place you after, if reasonable b&b try Haus Elisabeth or Haus Roman Falch, both good access to town and all that St Anton has to offer at a reasonable price. wink
snow report
Thanks Markymark29, - will give them a go. Lots of places are saying they're fully booked (tour operators?) or only do weekly at the moment - but I'm sure things will change nearer the time.
snow conditions
We've done short breaks to St ANton with SuperTravel - they offer 3 or 4 night stays in Chalet Seeburger on the main street.
latest report
andy from embsay, if you're looking for a weekend break for next year, I wouldn't bother looking for places till autumn and possibly not until a few weeks before you actually travel. There's simply no reason why they should take a booking for less than a week at this stage. Saying they are fully booked is often just a polite way of saying they aren't interested at this point.
snow report
Yep, that's what I was thinking nozawaonsen, - in fact several have said "give us a shout in November".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andy from embsay, sorry I thought you were going like next weekend, just leave it until 2 weeks before you'll get on somewhere,more chance and better deals the nearer you leave it. Avoid tour operators and big hotels they only usually do weekly bookings, you need b&b's for long weekends. I've done your plan many times and it really isn't a problem. Moreover it's a great way to see St Anton, down with the locals. I've never been to St Anton with a tour operator, the locals really just suffer them (well some do, most just ignore them) and you get second rate service, my advice is deal with those who value your custom and live there you'll never go far wrong. Let me know if you need any info, got loads of contacts and can recommend plenty of other places when you are ready.
snow report
What about Sat - Thursday ?

Thomas Cook do a Saturday flight to Innsbruck, Monarch do a Thursday flight back to Manchester.

5 night 5 1/2 days skiing. Or as your missus says nearly a week Laughing

This is what I'm doing next weekend.

Zurich is a long way and transfers would be much more expensive.
snow conditions
hedley, i don't think Monarch are doing Thursdays in January (well they're not now, anyway - they start in Feb) - the train's not horrendously expensive (about £100 return).
snow report
Book in advance and you can get cheap train fares (tho limited to one train only, miss it and you have to pay full whack), I only paid €19 to get from Zurich airport to St Anton. Arlberg Express also run a coach transfer service to/from Zurich Airport which is about €80 return.
latest report
How many chums in the group? We've always flown to Zurich and then had a minibus taxi for about 80euro each in a group of 7
ski holidays
Sitter, thanks - good tip, assume they're released 90 days before? Nadenoodlee - not sure how many yet. It was 12 last year, I've just booked 5 flights, but the numbers invariably swell nearer the time. Having got the train from Chambery to Landry at half term and returned by minibus, I'm quite a fan of comfortable train travel, so suspect it will be the train for us. Might even go for first class to give it that "holiday feeling" (it's only about £40 extra each way).
snow report
We've done a couple of weekends to St Anton via Zurich. Never managed to ski on the same day when flying out in the morning, but generally get a good day on the last day before heading back to the airport. As Sitter says if you plan it in time you can get very reasonable train fares, if you leave it to the last minute it's about €100 return.

Innsbruck is better if you can get the flights.

accommodation owners hate to do short rentals, but availability opens up closer to the time, and don't rule out staying "out of town" down in Pettneu, much cheaper, good bus service and generally more flexible in terms of trip duration. That said I've always ended up getting something in the main town.
ski holidays
I'm off to st Anton on Thursday for three days of skiing. Just booked everything last week, flying into Zurich and managed to get a single room in St Jakob. sah, I didn't realise the train was a load cheaper when booked in advance. I always book the flexible ticket as I don't like being limited to just one train.
ski holidays
Kelskii wrote:
I'm off to st Anton on Thursday for three days of skiing. Just booked everything last week, flying into Zurich and managed to get a single room in St Jakob. sah, I didn't realise the train was a load cheaper when booked in advance. I always book the flexible ticket as I don't like being limited to just one train.

I think if you booked last week it would have been too late for the cheap ticket anyway, I think you need to book a few weeks ahead for those. Never managed to grab one myself for the route.
snow report
sah, you have to book on the 90th day before travel, the day they come on sale........89th and they've usually gone.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
sah, you have to book on the 90th day before travel, the day they come on sale........89th and they've usually gone.

Explains why I never got one. I definitely saw a cheap deal last year but put off booking while I sorted flights, by the time I came back a day or 2 later it had indeed gone.

Travel within Austria, e.g. from Innsbruck is much cheaper though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy