Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vallee des Avals info please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Does anyone have current info on Valle des Avals from the Chanrossa lift? Will I need skins (approach or exit), is there a big cornice at the roc merlet? Does anyone have current avvy conditions? Will they go up significantly in the avo? Are the refuges open for a snack?

I'm just hitting Courchevel for a day from Cham, so if anyone has a better intermediate off-piste, non-glacial, lift accessed descent the let me know. I have the 3 vallees IGN map, but not the guidebook.

Cheers.

S
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will I need skins (approach or exit)?

Yes if going up towards the top of Roc Merlet, not necessary if going over the shoulder (normally a good bootpack in up here).

Does anyone have current avvy conditions?

Yes but they will certainly evolve in the next few days... (Currently potentially unstable on several aspects with new snow + wind, and also with warming on sunny aspects as and when the great fiery ball appears).

Will they go up significantly in the avo?

Depends if its warm...

Are the refuges open for a snack?

No, the Refuge du Grand Plan is shut for the winter since the guardian was killed in an avalanche in December...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're going to Courchevel from Chamonix for the DAY?? That's about a 6-hour round-trip.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd, 1h 45 each way on a clear run...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Parky still says that was his best day on skis Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
offpisteskiing wrote:
stevomcd, 1h 45 each way on a clear run...

That's a fairly heavy right foot and reasonably good set of wheels!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Idris, it does need the main Gorges D'Arly road to be open... Add 10 minutes if doing the Héry sur Ugine diversion!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing wrote:

No, the Refuge du Grand Plan is shut for the winter since the guardian was killed in an avalanche in December...

Worth remembering that "The Lion" was something an avalanche expert too. His dog, Ruby, died in almost the same spot has his master a few years previously. A number of skiers owed their lives to Ruby and Lionel who worked for the Courchevel piste patrol. RIP.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy