Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing skis, how often?

Poster: A snowHead
How often should I wax my skis? I usually have them serviced by my local shop at the beginning of each season and then have a couple of skiing holidays, usually two weeks followed by a long weekend a few weeks later. Is once a year enough or should they be waxed more often? Also is it something I can do myself? The edges are still sharp so don't need doing before I go again this year. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take your self to see Spyderjon at www.thepisteoffice.com and you'll never trust a shop to service your skis again! Once you know how it is dead easy to both wax and service the edges of your skis and actually a rather relaxing thing to do! I wax my skis for each trip and usually end up topping up the wax on my daughter's skis when she decides mid week she going too slow!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
davkt wrote:
Take your self to see Spyderjon at www.thepisteoffice.com and you'll never trust a shop to service your skis again! Once you know how it is dead easy to both wax and service the edges of your skis and actually a rather relaxing thing to do! I wax my skis for each trip and usually end up topping up the wax on my daughter's skis when she decides mid week she going too slow!

That looks exactly what I need, I think I'll book onto his 1/2 day tutoring session. Not far from me either. Thanks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep it is a great session (its where I learnt to properly service my skis last month after messing up on waxing for years!) and Jon is a really nice chap who knows pretty much everything there is to know about ski tuning and then some! It doesn't take long before you are saving cash even after buying a tool kit from him as well!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any old iron. Madeye-Smiley

I'll get me helmet. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
once a year whether they need it or not.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
897sma, waxing is overrated. In five years I never once had my Mantras serviced, never had the edges done, and only waxed them about once a season, using my old steam iron and some graphite wax... I can still get down the Kandahar in Garmisch on them no problem, and in powder nobody cares anyway.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am currently a high school senior taking a class where you and your team are tasked with identifying a problem, then trying to solve this problem. Our team wanted to design a mechanism that make waxing quicker and eaiser. If you could take a little of your time and complete this survey it would greatly be apperciated. Thank you

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19XvcIf6PoltfChhJbLQtypKvVd_IATe7mL1x-Dlu5YI/viewform
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang, +1

If there aren't at least 3 proper core shots, they don't need servicing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
waxing your skis does a lot. it is an oil good for the base of the ski which is good for maintaining it and stops it from drying out. cars need oil skis need some kind of tlc too. Edging the skis will make it a lot easier for you to turn, slow down, control your speed and it will stop them getting rusty and corrode in the long run. it doesn't take long to wax/edge your ski anyway. personally I wax my ski after about a weeks skiing (5-6 full days). and the edges whenever they aren't holding out or if they need a clean up from rust. look after your skis and they'l treat you well and a good amount of time. rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter is racing on plastic and I service her skis once a week after 6 hours practice they're pretty dry and blunt, her snow skis get a wax before each trip just helps her on the flats. Same with my snowboards wax them before each trip and do the edges when needed.
I would recommend getting a course and medium diamond file to go in your edge tool so when you do your edges you take off far less material and only run a metal file down them if there's any burrs or damage.
As for waxing it's pretty simple get yourself a proper waxing iron (you can use a 5 quid tesco one but the stats in the proper ones are better), a block of all temp wax I tend to use butter pro wax, a plastic scraper, a stiff brush and a green scouring pad.
The best way to clean your base before you wax is to do a hot wax, turn your iron on so it doesn't smoke a lot when you apply the wax to it then drip a line of wax down the ski. Next iron the base of the ski spreading the wax so it is all covered making sure not to hold the iron for too long in one place although you want to get some heat into it so the wax soaks into the pores (you want the other side of the ski to be warm to the touch but not hot). As soon as you've spread the wax over the entire base take your plastic scraper starting at the tip and working to the tail scrap the wax off until no more comes off and you'll see the dirt coming off in the wax.
Now the ski base is clean you can do the same again apply the wax but this time allow the ski to cool before you scrape (I tend to leave mine an hour or so). Once all the wax has been scraped off take your stuff brush and run from tip to tail I tend to do it 10-15 times pressing firmly making sure all the applied wax has been removed.
Lastly take your green scouring pad and buff the base this will give you a nice fast base.

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for jon's ski tuning course.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Im new to skiing.. I had no idea you had to wax them wups :/
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's very dependent upon the base material. I've some Fischer Progressor 9's and after a few hours at the snowcentre the base gets progressively more grey showing they need waxing. OTOH, i've a pair of Volkl' AC30's which haven't had a good wax in over a year and seem fine still. The Volkl's have a PTEX 2000 base i believe. The Fischers i don't know.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Every evening to ensure maximum performance and have the second pair using different temperature wax just in case of weather change. However if O/P skier this could be trigger to go home. Every pound spent makes you a better skier. (Declared interest Ski industry member:)
snow conditions
Seasonaires ('leisure' - not competitive) will probably edge and wax about 4 times a season. Three of these will be late March or April.
ski holidays
A quick update. I followed some of the advice on here and went on one of Jon's tuning lessons/workshop a couple of weeks ago. I have to say that I really enjoyed it and after Jon's expert tuition it left me convinced that I will only ever service my skis myself in future. I'm sure there are some great servicing places out there but my edges have never been so good as when I did them myself, nor are my skis greasy or covered in gunk left over from when they were waxed. With 6 sets of skis in the family it shouldn't take too long to get my money back, especially as i would likely wax/service mine at least 3 or 4 times this season depending on conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy