Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier during Freeride World Tour finals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hallo,

My partner and I are planning a long weekend in Verbier in March and are thinking of being there on the 22nd, which is the day of the Freeride World Tour finals. Have seen some threads here about the good atmosphere, etc, but wondered if anyone could give us a bit more of an idea of the impact of the event on the skiing? Does it mean any lift or run closures? Does anything (lifts, runs, restaurants) get significantly more crowded? We also wondered how long the actual skiing bit of it lasts, should we want to watch it - a couple of hours or a whole day?

Any info would be greatly appreciated - many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there for the day a couple of years ago. I can't comment on the impact on the town itself, although I imagine that there were a few events and stalls in town. There were no lift closures at all and there was a bit of a queue to go up the cable car to the viewing area at Gentianes, thats all. There is little or no impact on the rest of the area and it doesn't attract the crowds of, say, the Lauberhorn downhill where there are 40000 or so spectators. I'd say there were probably 1000 maximum watching this.

The action is on a mountain face far away from the skiing area so bring binoculars for a better view, although there is a big screen tv too.

I watched it for an hour or so, but I can't say how long it all lasts as I wasn't there for the start or end.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's awesome, don't be afraid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are no lift closures and lifts open earlier on the day of the Final. It gets really busy with spectators around Col des Gentianes but other ski areas would be quieter. The skiing bit lasts till around noon and you want to leave before the end as all runs from the area will get super busy, especially if either of you needs a groomed run only. The restaurant at Col des Gentianes will be very busy and so will be toilets. Can queue for a very long time. If you decide to watch it, take binoculars and get there early, aim to be at Medran by 8. Bring something to sit on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless you were planning to ski the Bec des Rosses, it shouldn't make much difference to you. wink Great atmosphere in town with the Route de Medran full of stalls and displays.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No impact on skiers. Great in town, big screen action etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We were there under similar circumstances a couple of years ago and as mentioned, the main impact was slightly less traffic on other pistes and the Jumbo to Col de Gentianes was unusually busy. Although no worse than at the Weekend in peak season. Even the ski down from Gentianes via Cabin du Mt. Fort wasn't particularly busier. It was fun to watch for half an hour , but as mentioned, bring some binoculars.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy