Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport to Chamonix...vignettte needed??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi

I am hiring a car from Geneva airport (swiss side) and plan on driving to Chamonix via the autoroute (i.e. E62, A1-E25)

My question is: will I have to buy a swiss vignette (CHF40)?

Or will the car come with one as its hired from the swiss side?
Or do I not need one at all?

Not done the journey for a few years so I couldn’t remember...but if I did buy a vignette previously I’m pretty sure it didn’t used to cost CHF40 or I would have remembered!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cars hired from Swiss side usually (always?) have one, and yes you need one for that route.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and it's cost 40 francs for yonks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks, if the car already has one then i wont have to pay for it then?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if the car is from the swiss side it will have a vignette and you wont have to pay!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
great, thanks Brock, thats what i thought, just wanted to check.

Only going for a weekend so all in all it would have been better to pay for a transfer than hire a car if I did have to pay the CHF40!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If from the swiss side then it will also have winter tyres, although last year they gave me one without and I only found out on a roundabout in the snow!
Look on the side of the tyre for a snowflake or the letters S+M (Snow and Mud) Complain if it doesn't as around this time of year they get new cars in with the "summer spec".

Make sure you know how to get onto the autoroute from the airport, it's easy to get lost, check it out on google streetview first and even then you feel like you are driving into a block of flats!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
millerzone wrote:
If from the swiss side then it will also have winter tyres, although last year they gave me one without and I only found out on a roundabout in the snow!
Look on the side of the tyre for a snowflake or the letters S+M (Snow and Mud) Complain if it doesn't as around this time of year they get new cars in with the "summer spec".

Make sure you know how to get onto the autoroute from the airport, it's easy to get lost, check it out on google streetview first and even then you feel like you are driving into a block of flats!

That's the sneaky left hander at the lights which says "<- Police" isn't it. You have to be very careful to take the immediate next right, or go the wrong way for AGES.

Easier is to come out of the airport, go all the way to the end of the main road to Ikea, turn left, and join the motorway there. It's a tiny bit further but harder to mess up.

There's also a really good way to France avoiding the motorways altogether, through the city centre, which is sometimes faster than going on the motorway - at peak times when the border crossing gets clogged up. Sat nav to Annecy, tell it to avoid tolls, and pay attention! You come out through a different border crossing that hardly anyone uses, and is never manned.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 27-02-14 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Make sure you know how to get onto the autoroute from the airport

just follow the green signs for FRANCE.

alex99, you can drive through Geneva and then you don't need a vignette (for future reference).

Quote:

this time of year they get new cars in with the "summer spec".

that's worth knowing, millerzone - important to check!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks guys, yes i can remember the route.

Car hire said full winterisation package so hopefully no dancing on ice! off this weekend....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy