Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Correcting botched binding installation

Poster: A snowHead
Greetings from Canada.

I am wondering how to correct a botched binding installation, and would greatly appreciate some advice.

Local shop installed my bindings off centre in the waist due to miscalibrated jig. Each binding piece is 2-3 mm off centre to the left on both skis. The skis are Blizzard Magnum 8.0 Ti. The bindings are Rossignol Axial2 120. Basically, a piste/groomer setup with some all-mountain ability.

As I understand, I have several options:

1) Do nothing. In theory, this will affect skiing performance as the skis will respond differently on one side vs the other.
2) Move each piece forward by 1cm and center them correctly. I have no idea how will this impact skiing performance. For this reason I am uncomfortable drilling more holes for something that may not work.
3) Install a high-end demo binding. Move the plate forward to avoid existing holes. Then, adjust the toe and heel pieces until mid-boot point is properly aligned. This raises boot position and adds weight which may impact performance.
4) Install Marker Schizo binding and apply a similar approach as above. The downside is that the Schizos are a park binding, heavy and expensive. Is there really any added benefit over a good demo?

Any advice on how to solve this mess would be welcome and appreciated.

Thank you.

Edit: added photos

Front

Back

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-02-14 16:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
terraborealis, welcome to snowheads. I can't help on the technical side but if a shop f*cked my skis up I would be asking for replacement skis.

Greetings from Sun Peaks!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
if a shop f*cked my skis up I would be asking for replacement skis.

+1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
+2
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+3
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
+4 - I would think the shop has an insurance policy it would claim on, but you took skis in expecting a set of skis back with one set of holes drilled in the right place. This is what I would demand.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+5

In reality you'll not notice the difference especially as the heel on the that binding will soon develop as much 'slop'. The shop won't claim on their insurance for such a small amount however they will be able to remount the old skis with a rail system & although they'll need to be sold at a discount it'll still cover, or almost cover, their costs so they'll not loose out & from a customer service point of view it's the correct thing to do.

There's not actually a way of miscalibrating a jig to give lateral error like that - it's possible that the jig feet can be the wrong way round but that'll give a large error that's easily spotted before drilling - a lateral error of 2-3mm is pretty hard to spot & as it's on both skis it's probably been caused by the jig being dropped & the feet getting bent slightly out of alignment. I've seen plenty of shops techs treat jigs them like crap & just store them piled up or lying around on the floor when they should be treated with TLC, especially as they're damned expensive.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+6!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+7
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+8 but would quiver killers be an option, drill new holes for the large diameter inserts, would be a pain getting a clean hole i guess without the drill skipping across. I guess not or spyderjon, would have suggested it!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
...In reality you'll not notice the difference especially as the heel on the that binding will soon develop as much 'slop'....

spyderjon, i'm interested in your experience with the Axial2 binding and slop, particularly which binding/ski interfaces you have noticed the issue with. I use 2 sets of Axial2 WC on I-Box plates and haven't noticed a problem (yet). Perhaps the length adjustment on WC being wormscrew instead of ratchet on the non-WC makes a difference?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for your comments. holidayloverxx, Sun Peaks is on my list!

Going after the shop to replace the skis is easier said than done. First, I did not buy the skis from them. Second, the shop is a big-box store with bloated administration. The best I can hope for is that they reimburse me for the purchase price. I bought the skis in the U.S. as a blem item at a steep discount. I cannot buy those skis for that amount any longer. So, I lose even if I get my money back. That is why I am very much motivated to salvage them.

I have added photos to the original post to show what we are talking about. Another shop measured from the base and determined the bindings to be 2-3mm off to the left.

spyderjon, you mention that I may not feel the difference in performance if I keep it as-is. It may have some psyhological impact, though, warranted or not. What about re-mounting with a high-quality demo binding?

Thank you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
terraborealis, sounds like your best option would be to press for re-imbursement of the purchase price inc. retention of the damaged goods (got to be worth a play for in any event) and then put the cash towards some replacement bindings that might do the job and put the job to another shop. spyderjon, above is by head and shoulders the expert on such things around here so he will know your best option for something that will work.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
terraborealis, it makes no difference that you got them at a discount. Press them for replacement cost
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum and holidayloverxx. I just might have to do that. Everything else involves me spending more money to end up with something that may or may not be suitable.
ski holidays
Yeah while you're at it replace the bindings - mine are a right PITA for breaking heel tracks.
snow report
I am afraid I'm stuck with the bindings, but thanks for the idea Smile.
ski holidays
I don't know what consumer protection law is like in Canada but as the store fitting the bindings messed up (and I guess they admit they messed up) in the UK you'd be in a very strong position to ask them to provide you with the same skis (or equivalent if you can't get that model now) properly mounted. You shouldn't be out of pocket due to their mistake.
snow conditions
terraborealis, difficult to tell, but looks like they may be offset at an angle as well?

I think they should rectify at their expense. If those skis aren't availabel then something of equivalent spec and value. Fitting a plate (at their expense) wouldn't hurt though and might improve performance...??
snow conditions
davkt, not sure about consumer protection laws, but I am somewhat familiar with the law of contracts, and I definitely have a case for replacement of reimbursement. under_a_new_name, good idea, but this ski reportedly performs at its best with fixed-mount bindings mounted directly on the ski. If I went with a rail, I feel like I would be settling for something less.
latest report
terraborealis, not wishing to be unreasonably rude, but this is not a ski that you'll find on the world cup circuit. Performs at it's best with boot on ski might mean lots of things... I am not sure it's a huge compromise...
snow conditions
under_a_new_name, I don't think you are rude. I asked for opinions, and you make a valid point. What you suggested (fitting a plate) may or may not work for me. In any case, I have started the process to get comped for the skis.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy