Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A ski fitness plan for next season.

Poster: A snowHead
homers double, Oh yeah...and planks and bridges on the gym ball but they are the "rest" between exercises wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try some suicide planks (search on youtube) - good for core stability.
Our coach had us going up and down the gym in plank position (think small "steps" with the forearms and feet) - that was surprisingly hard at the end of a tough gym session.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good news, the Superdry T that made me look like a mis shapen sausage is coming on holiday this week and I don't look as sausage-like.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
homers double, Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
more Homer's Shadow than homers double?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
abd, I can;t bear to try that!

moved onto multi directional lunges with 10kg weight, squats with 20kg and high step ups with 20kg.

homers double, excellent! steady progress
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
more Homer's Shadow than homers double?

Not quite but I'm working on it.

holidayloverxx, Thank you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AsterixTG, I am about the same age, height and weight. I will be concentrating on things like yoga, pilates, and cardiovascular fitness. My latest DVD from the charity shop is yoga on a swiss ball. I have managed some of the basic yoga routines which I found very useful. I tried to follow this routine but it gets very advanced, and I do not stretch that far. I also tend to get distracted by the attire worn by the instructor (female)!

I have recently acquired a foam roller, and this has worked wonders on my tight iliotibial band as well as helping make my calf muscles and hamstrings more supple. (and giving them a better stretch after exercise).

The change in weather from summer to winter in Scotland, usually starts in August/September and this is when I find myself indoors a lot and getting stiff due to sitting down too much. So I am in, but will start slowly and pick up the pace in October/November time.

NehNeh

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 1-08-14 20:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For anyone whos a gym member that does any les mills classes, I have been doing body pump classes twice a week, circuits once a week, ski fit (another type of circuits) once a week and swimming 1 day in the week. Weight has dropped off me in 8 weeks, but more importantly strenght (especially core) and fitness is the best its been. I always find when I go to the gym I eat much healthier too
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulC1984, I've been looking at it..but I am a 54 year old woman. .bit nervous. ..but want to improve. .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ive just posted the second of our twelve week ski fit program, its free and am happy to answer questions if any of you have them.

As promised this year were putting in some videos to demonstrate some of the exercises.

Ill update them regularly.

https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm following this^^^ Just done my first plank ever'! More like like a rotten old floorboard Shock Wow, how can something so simple be so hard. A lot of work to be done. Thankyou Jonathan Bell for taking time to post it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm aimin to cycle over 250 miles this weekend so that, if anything should get the blood flowing...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Due to the unusually dry and warm September, I have only just started my fitness program now. (too much to do outside)

As I indicated Yoga stretching is becoming very useful. I particularly like any yoga positions which twist the back. A lunge with a twist is good. If you do this on a swiss ball (ball under your crotch), you can obtain better balance if you are a novice. A seated twist is also very useful for lower back stretching. I have done the full Yoga video a few times now, and some of the positions I cannot quite stretch to, however others I can do very well. It seems that I need to work on the flexibility between my legs (which is not quite the same as a womans flexibility in that region)

Planks can be done forwards, side facing, and from the rear.

I think for skiing though, a lunge with a twist is a superb Yoga position!

Here is an example of what I mean, not quite what I do but close.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/qt/Lunge-Twist.htm
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitty wrote:
I'm following this^^^ Just done my first plank ever'! More like like a rotten old floorboard Shock Wow, how can something so simple be so hard. A lot of work to be done. Thankyou Jonathan Bell for taking time to post it.

Stick it out for a month and you suddenly start to see the changes kick in.

Ive got some more videos which ill stick up over next few days.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
Whitty, doing planks last night at my physio session ...that was the rest period!
snow report
New world record for plank has just been set: just shy of 4 and a half hours. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11127633/Chinese-police-officer-Mao-Weidong-sets-plank-world-record.html
latest report
Thanks for that Toofy Grin Think I did about a minute and was shaking like a leaf!
snow conditions
Ive just put up the week 5 progression on the SKI FIT PROGRAM..
There are some videos to help explain the exercises
Any questions pm me or post..

Jonathan Bell
snow report
I started this last week, but finding a place at home to exercise is impossible, as every time I need to lie down on the floor, there's a dog licking me, as she thinks there is something wrong with me.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Laughing
snow conditions
Hells Bells, Laughing that's a new excuse......
snow conditions
Hells Bells, shut the door Very Happy
snow report
NehNeh
snow conditions
Need to get on the bike asap, almost two weeks off now since riding in Italy and I know my fitness will have dropped.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Hells Bells, shut the door Very Happy
I would if we had any.
ski holidays
I've started alternate running and walking on the evening dog walk, trouble is, it looks more like a shamble than a run.
ski holidays
When planking, good form is especially important ....

http://youtube.com/v/1eul6sfxihg
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hells Bells wrote:
I started this last week, but finding a place at home to exercise is impossible, as every time I need to lie down on the floor, there's a dog licking me, as she thinks there is something wrong with me.

The dog needs a walk, but with someone other than you 😄
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I've started alternate running and walking on the evening dog walk, trouble is, it looks more like a shamble than a run.

Got to start somewhere. You're doing better than most of the population!!
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
PaulC1984, I've been looking at it..but I am a 54 year old woman. .bit nervous. ..but want to improve. .

Just replicate last years amazing effort.
snow conditions
I am in, crew. Currently on holiday in the tropics eating too much, but on return to Blighty need to stop being a fatty and get back in he gym, and stop eating so much.

On return from my season last year, I was in great shape. Four months of barely drinking (I drove to the slopes every day), skiing most days, doing a lot off off-piste and cooking healthy food left me in pretty good condition.

Six months of being at a desk, business travel, drinking too much, eating too much and ignoring the gym have seen me put on a stone and a half in fat and lose all fitness. Time to remedy that.

I have at least given up smoking by using an e-vaporiser thingy, so that's a start. First ski trip mid December, with Lady Flashman's expert level family in Utah. I need to be able to kick her 3 brothers' back bottoms in order to keep the English rep intact. Fitness will be important...
snow conditions
Quote:

Six months of being at a desk, business travel, drinking too much, eating too much and ignoring the gym have seen me put on a stone and a half

Lightweight. Some people can do that in six weeks. Or less. wink
snow report
Must try harder then, Pam! Very Happy
snow report
Ive just put up a progression of the 12 week program.

Its not to late to start!

Posting of exercises and videos on how to do them.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
ive just put up a progression to the 12 week ski fit program

Jonathan Bell
latest report
@Jonathan Bell, sadist wink

Went to a bodypump class on Saturday - knee held up absolutely fine; my arms are dropping off!
ski holidays
I have been perfecting the "thread the needle" pose in my pre-jog yoga sessions. This pose really helps me release any tension I have in upper shoulders, neck and small of the back. I watched a program on the Living channel regarding yoga positions once and this was recommended to be done every day.

http://www.yogaoutlet.com/guides/how-to-do-thread-the-needle-pose-in-yoga

This and the twisting lunge are great for releasing the tension I get, although everyone is different. (although skiers and joggers are probably fairly similar, and those who use computers)

I might decide to step up the program next month, as after two months of gently jogging (only about 10 miles a week), my knee is getting stronger and more synovial fluid is being generated in my knee. (this is supposition based on less need for support or ice after jog)

Laughing

ps. I have started doing a yoga position after jogging, in which you lift your legs up against a wall. This helps with the removal of any toxins or lactic acid in your legs after jogging. It is probably not really necessary after a gentle jog though.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 19-11-14 10:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've gone backwards, after the road bike trip to Italy I've put about 3-4 lbs on but feel very sluggish, so we've started to cut the wine down and I've been out on the bike a few times to get going.

Its suprising how quickly a level of fitness lowers with inactivity.
ski holidays
@homers double, indeed it does. My meniscus flared up in August..couldn't exercise at all for a month, then I had an RTA which resulted in a chest injury which put me on light exercise only for another couple of months. Doesn't take long to get it back though
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy