Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thomas Cook Ski Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I'm flying thomas cook in march and have paid for one set of ski carriage for the skis of a mate and myself in one double ski bag.
However, I've just checked Thomas Cook's website and it states that there must only be one pair of skis per ski carriage.

Do they actively enforce this? I was just wondering if anyone has flown this year and done this?

Thanks guys
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can put two pairs in and as long as its ok on weight it will be no problem, they don't search your bag (nor have the right to). Easy answer and presumably the end of the thread.

BTW a quick search could have thrown up around 2000 threads on the same topic wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SkiG, Under the guise of security reasons they can search what they like when they like.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They will have to have very good grounds to do this, of which you must be informed before they do so, a second pair of Skis is hardly a security risk. There for you would only have to open your bag IF security found something untoward whilst going through the X-ray machine.
A friend of mine had a very big rollup type bag, that he used for years; this contained both his and his daughters skis plus all the rest of his kit, she had a smaller bag that had her clothes in.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AJQ, No they won't. They can search any baggage, hand or hold whenever they want and they need no suspicion or grounds at all. The fact they don't 99% of the time doesn't mean they can't. I agree skis and ski bags don't present a security risk persay but anything travelling through an international airport can be searched.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's why a lot of suitcases have these funny combination locks on now (that I can't remember the name of, our Samsonites do) that can be "unlocked" for searching. Think the US are particularly stringent about it and reserve the right to open your bag, although they are supposed to advice you )after the event!) that they've done it I think.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took 'two in one' last yearj (with Neilson aka Thomas Cook) - as has been said, needs to be within weight allowance..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18, airport security can search your bags any time they like, but they won't tell tales on you to the airline. They're looking for cocaine and explosives, not for whether you've gamed the Thomas Cook T&Cs.

I guess what SkiG may have meant is that the airline won't search your bag. Between security and the aircraft the only people who will handle your baggage are - er - the baggage handlers. Again, unaffiliated to the airline, and they won't care either (although they may well go through the exterior pockets on your suitcases looking for money and ipods).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Once you and your bags have gone through the X-ray Machine/ Metal Detectors It is then up to Security to deem whether you or your bags are a risk or not. It is highly unlikely that they will get involved prior to that. As mentioned above, they are not interested in whether you have two pairs of skis or not, they couldn't care less. It is Drugs, Arms or Explosives that they are interested in.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AJQ wrote:
they are not interested in whether you have two pairs of skis or not, they couldn't care less.

Not true at check-in desk. Never been asked by a scheduled airline but have, more than once, been asked by a TO, if there were only one pair of skis in the bag. I keep quiet and OH half says something like, "Just my skis." Technically, as he paid for mine as well, the bag does contain 2 pairs of "his" skis! (One day, I guess, we may come unstuck ....)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To go back to the OP......do they enforce it? Most times no but yes they can if they want to and if they do there is nowt you can do or say about it and you will ping an extra cost if they do. There is no point saying you can't search my bag coz they can and legally they do not need to justify it to you whether that be the TO, Airport checkin or baggage handling security.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr Pieholeo wrote:
jirac18, airport security can search your bags any time they like...

I guess what SkiG may have meant is that the airline won't search your bag. Between security and the aircraft the only people who will handle your baggage are - er - the baggage handlers. Again, unaffiliated to the airline, and they won't care either (although they may well go through the exterior pockets on your suitcases looking for money and ipods).

This is exactly right. The airline themselves do not have a right to search your bags. It used to be that not even police could search your person or property without justifiable suspicion, although this has now changed. Airport security have always been allowed to search you or your possessions, airlines and tour operators do not.

They can ask you how many pairs of skis you have in a bag, its up to you how you answer.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SkiG, wrong. Some small airports have check-ins staffed by airport employees but also TO and carrier staff who are allowed to act on the behalf of and as agents of airport staff. When your bags are checked in they can be searched by whomever is checking them in and by security staff and baggage control who may be public facing or behind the scenes. Police and or UKBF can search your baggage unequivocally if they so desire using various legislation, not that they would do in reality without good reason. Airports are very different places and covered by very different laws to public places or private dwellings. But anyway this is all slightly an aside to the point of the OP
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Last year we got away with 3 pairs of skis in a bag on a Thompson flight. No questions asked but I have to pity the poor baggage handlers lifting them. wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jirac18, know what you mean about different rules - I was surprised to be asked for photo id by a plain clothes policeman getting off a flight from Belfast to Leeds - as I didn't think they could ask for photo id when you're passing from one bit of the UK to another - seems they can under some anti-terrorist laws. Not sure what'd happen if you'd flown with BA, who don't require photo id on internal flights, so people might not be carrying it.
snow report
andy from embsay, you are travelling within what is called the CTA Common Travel Area (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Isles, Republic of Ireland) not only is it a requirement to show photo id but you can also be required without question to complete a full landing card stating all personal details, addresses going to from etc etc. As for BA you may not require photo id to use their airline but you are required to show id if requested by police at an airport within the CTA or internationally and if you don't they can effectively prevent your flight.
ski holidays
I simply just hand over the Explosives, this is normally enough to distract them when smuggling an extra pair of Skis through snowHead
snow conditions
jirac18, you are completely incorrect, only security and police can search your bag, but I am not going to get in an argument over it

Edit- not completely wrong, the rules are completely different at airports, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise above, but tour operators and check in staff do not have the right to search your bag
latest report
SkiG, at the risk of being childish no I'm not. I'm absolutely correct if checking luggage in they can act as an agent of airport security if required or requested to do so for security reasons. This would not include checking number of skis in a bag though were they stupid enough to say that's why they were looking. And in any case if they think you are taking the p1ss out of their small print they will just refuse to take the luggage anyway. I don't necessarily agree with it but it is the way it is if that's the way they want to play it. But lets move on.
ski holidays
Well, feel free to believe that rolling eyes

To the OP, just take two pairs of skis in the one bag and relax
snow report
SkiG, I will thanks I do agree with your last remark tho....relax and take two pairs they won't check nor give a monkeys.
ski holidays
I can only assume you are poorly informed, or work at the starbucks trolley
latest report
SkiG, Don't be a prat. I'm very well informed and I guess when you said "I'm not going to get into an argument over it" you were full of poo-poo.

Go on you have the last word as I'm sure it will make you feel bigger and better. NehNeh
snow conditions
I think you're both the same person.
latest report
Mate, you are 100% wrong! this is just a fact, and its really hilarious when people come one here and pronounce themselves as knowledgeable on the basis of their unspecified professional ties. I am currently sitting next to a lawyer, who has detailed knowledge in this field, they say you are full of it, and I say they know more about it than you do.

Now pipe down
snow report
Maybe all three of us are the same person.
ski holidays
I've known many lawyers who were completely wrong, they are the worst for thinking they know everything and are the fonts of knowledge, many not half as intelligent as they think they are and quite frankly couldn't care less what you think you internet hardnut. You say they know more than I based on a presumption of what I do not on a knowledge of what I do. Get a grip of yourself.
ski holidays
SkiG wrote:
I am currently sitting next to a lawyer, who has detailed knowledge in this field.

Many lawyers claim detailed knowledge in their field. But many are also found incorrect by the judge...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its on the basis of the fact that you are wrong. Im not claiming to be an internet, or any other sort of hard nut, you have just been found out for talking bull, and are now getting defensive. Stop embarrassing yourself and stick to making lattes wink
snow report
so you are arguing. Thanks for evidencing that your earlier word is meaningless.
latest report
I didn't say I wouldn't argue, I said I wasn't trying to get into an argument. I wasn't, but I get irritated by idiots pretending they know things they don't, and you are definitely in that category.

You have been caught out trying to make out you are knowledgeable when you are not. Stop making yourself look even more foolish and shut up
latest report
SkiG wrote:
jirac18, but I am not going to get in an argument over it

No mention of "not trying". You categorically stated I am not going to get in an argument. Well you then proceeded to get into one. I'd have more respect if you said "I'm right and I'm gonna ague it to the death" rather than pretend to be moralistic and then have the argument anyway.

I haven't been caught out whatsoever so stop imagining what has been said and deal with what has been said. Move on, go cozy up to your lawyer friends who are clearly inclined to agree with you on the basis you are their pal rather than being objective (lawyers are good at seeing what they want to see rather than the facts) or better still go get informed yourself first hand.
latest report
Haha well, done turns out if you speak enough nonsense eventually you get something right, I was mistaken I did not write trying to. I just had not thought that someone would keep digging when they are talking nonsense.

Either you are a complete moron (definite possibility), or you may realise that you pushed your point too far when you are mistaken, and don't know when to stop digging.

I have nothing to deal with that you have said, you have made things up, or are just very mistaken and refuse to back down, and now are embarrassing yourself. The fact is that only security staff or police can search your bag. That is a fact, you are wrong. You are a fool who likes to state things as 'fact' on an internet forum, when truly you know nothing about it.
snow conditions
Oh Dear .......
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
andy from embsay, ...if you don't they can effectively prevent your flight.

That would be slightly tricky as I'd just got off it... Very Happy
snow report
Okay final word from me but I hope you will see sense...

G4S Secure Solution (UK) Ltd has the security contract from the Home Office Department for Transport for Heathrow Airport. They have a devolved responsibility for certain security processes with the airline carrier British Airways under a Contracted Directed Parties Agreement until 18/09/17.
including:

d) The screening by x-ray or other equipment or searching by hand, of hand baggage;
e) The screening by x-ray or other equipment or searching by hand, of hold baggage;

G4S Secure Solution (UK) Ltd also have the same contract in place at Heathrow Airport T3 with the following carriers

Virgin Atlantic Emirates, Iran Air, Thai Airways, Oman Airlines and Eva Air

This means that staff at check-ins and baggage control when travelling with these airlines are entitled to search hand and hold luggage before the passenger gets all the way through to the departure area.

The above information is available from the Home Office DFT. That is just one example and there are dozens upon dozens of these for all UK airports. Aviation Security Act 1982 also caters for byelaws to be placed for individual airports some of which cover such matters.

As you lawyer friend would undoubtedly say....Your honour the prosecution rests it's case. That is assuming they have ever been in a court as counsel and are not just an internet forum mickey mouse brief!!
Not bad knowledge for someone who serves lattes at Starbucks Toofy Grin

Edited to add - at some very small airports with one main airline carrier the staff at the airport check-in are employed by the carrier and so fill a duel role so my earlier point that potentially TO and or Airport and or carrier staff can search baggage, not just security and police, stands.
snow report
This will also be my final comment on the matter.

Whilst your above statement is in part true, what you have done is very cleverly tried to use some facts and added assumptions to try to prove your point. Those posters can indeed be devolved to a third party, however this must be done in such a fashion that the member of staff has been separately trained (and security checked themselves) so that they can act in this manner, and when doing so they are acting as a member of security staff.

In essence all this means is that the security staff are employed by the carrier, rather than the secunity company (something of a blessing I would have thought given G4S and their history).

This can not be performed at check in, and any bag to be searched would have to be pulled aside, and searched in a security area, by the allocated security staff. This would then only entitle them to remove any items or refuse carriage to items which are a security risk.

Check in staff can not search bags. End of. Security staff can, regardless of whose,ploys them, and only for reasons of security. Nice try tho!

This has been fun, must do it again sometime Very Happy
ski holidays
labomba,

No experience with Thomas Cook but have used a double hard case on Crystal/ Jet 2 trip with no problem (we had paid carriage for 2 pairs as you say you have)

I was a bit concerned beforehand so emailed Crystal- they emailed back to say would be fine so long as we'd both paid- I printed off the email and took it along just in case but didn't need it!
ski holidays
OMG cannot believe the dispute between two Snowheads when the OPs original question has not really been answered.

lamboda, it is at your own risk that you take two pairs of skis in a double bag when you have only paid for one. I think that it much depends on the person at the check-in desk. BUT, if you are under the weight they more than likely will not even question it. This has been my experience flying with Thompson.

The main reason why they say just one pair of skis and poles is down to insurance. IF, your skis were to get lost you are only covered for one pair of skis. Most tour operators will organise rental skis until yours are located. If you have only paid for one pair and taken two or more you cannot claim for the skis you have not paid for. The same would be true if the skis were lost and could not be located by the airline.

I no longer take the risk. It seems that airlines are getting more stringent as weight/space on ski flights are more valuable due to more and more people taking their own skis. I now pay for all the skis that we take for peace of mind.
snow report
TSA locks for USA and possibly Canada as well. You have your own number or letters for the drum. TSA have a key to unlock if required, code on the body of the lock it's self Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy