Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Les Arcs village?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone
We're thinking of trying out Les Arcs en famille next Easter holiday for the first time. Big ski area, good for a range of skiers, affordable ski schools-first or second week of April, self catering, us two with two girls (7 and 8 on their 4th week) and we were wondering which of the villages might suit us best. We're looking for some stuff to do with girls after skiing (so access to a pool pretty much essential, bowling would be nice), as close to ski in/out as possible, we like skiing all day, a couple of beers in the evening, not bothered about any more than that or restaurants. Would like an affordable ski school for private lessons. Pros/cons so far seem to be;
2000: high bowl, ski in/out but no other facilities, exposed, can get shut in there
1950: ski in/out, pools with apartments quite often?, but expensive to rent apartments
1800: lots more facilities, lots of rental choice, good access across the resort, but not much ski in/out?
1600: Bit low for the time of year?

Probably leaning towards 1800....

All advice gratefully received! Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There is a reasonably wide range of ski in/out apartments in 1800, but these are generally a little further away from the centre of the village. Have a quick check on the Les Arcs official website as there is (or certainly used to be) a resort map which showed where each residence was so you can work out which offer piste-side access (also check my signature wink )

In 1950 everything is very convenient, ski wise as well as pares-ski, but there is typically a price premium for that.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowhound,

I assume by next Easter you mean 2015

2000 has a bowling alley and I remember swimming there (and no it wasn't due to a thaw). All I remember was that it was part of the apartment complex. At 2100 m it is the highest of the villages. I cannot recall ever being shut in in April.
1600 is about 100 m below 1800 (the names are not really the heights 1600 is at 1630 and most of 1800 is 1730) and having skied a lot of Easters I have noticed there it tends to hold the snow better.
I know almost nothing about 1950.
1600 has the best direct connection to Bourg st Maurice which has an excellent municipal swimming pool, shops, river walks, spring flowers etc.
It is a long trek up from many Arc 1800 apartments to the lifts. The other villages generally have better access to the lifts
Arc 1800 has the best Apres
I like Arc Adeventures and ESF for ski lessons. I use Arc adventures for off piste skiing, canyoning and rafting down the Isere. They are in the centre of 1800.
There is plenty of rental options in each of the villages. Arc 1600 has 5 outlets when I last counted.

I have always preferred 1600 to the other villages, but really there is not much in it. But swimming has never been on my list of priorities.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chalet Altitude (lots of apartments) at Les Arc 2000 has a pool, there is a skating rink and bowling in the resort. It is not quite quite ski in/out but almost! We chose it at Xmas because we wanted high being early season and things to do for non-skiers! Lots of TO hire apartments within the chalet and the esprit ski kids school met just outside. ESF had an office attached to the chalet, a supermarket and bar are also attached, the bar seemed to have early evening activities but we did not venture along except to catch the tail end of a quiz one evening.. My report here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=106525&highlight=

Link to Chalet operators http://www.chalet-altitude.com/en/arc-2000.html?idS=1
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Belle Plagne wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That time of year, for value, I'd do 2000, the apts we stayed in def had a pool (Chalet des Neiges - easiest to find by the bar Whistlers Dream) and the village is quite big, and you can go down to 1950 whenever you want by gondola anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a.j., Ah that's the place. I remember it now
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
with the mrs and two daughters in tow i'd pick 1950 all day long. not only will the convenience of everything win everyone over, they will have a decent pool for swimming/sunbathing within half a sand wedge of wherever u stay, saunas and hot tubs at the foot of your building. some decent shops that will have the sales on in april...and a spa. don't know what you'll do all week tho zzz.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers everyone. Agree with Belle Plagne-stayed there last year with family-but have been to La Plagne four times in the last two years so fancy a change! Reckon its 1950 or 2000 unless we can find an apartment slopeside for 1800.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowhound, I have a ski in/out apartment in Arc 1800. Check the link in my signature for more info.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
we stayed a week in 1950 back in 2012. Absolutely loved it-v picturesque and great quality accomodation. However, for us, it was V expensive (£650 each self catering). For a family of 4 it would work out better value as we had to pay a surplus for the apartment as it was designed for 4 people...2 of us) Because the whole of 1950 is pretty much the same company (ie not loads of hotels), they put on entertainment each night/ This included roasting marshmellows int he firepit, gold competition - chipping golf balls into a big couldron, and ice sculping (watching not doing). Theoretically, anyone could walk up/down to 1950 if staying in another resort and take part and take in the views of the nice area, but V handy to have it on your doorstep. It was literally ski/ski out.Opened the door and you are on a run! Didnt see any other areas, but if you can afford it, go for 1950. V V nice (but only 1 shop...spar and not cheap, nor are the restaurants! so either pay to eat out or cook meals each night. This is vid I put together of the area

http://youtube.com/v/THPQYcCzDRc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy