Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada Distances

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Hope you can help, I'm gonna be spending two weeks in the Rockies at the start of January. I will be based in Panorama but am hoping to also Ski Banff - Sunshine and am also hoping for a little trip to Kicking Horse thrown in there as well. I'm working on driving times to each place from Panorama as being roughly 2 hours, am I right and is it possible to fit these trips in.

If anybody has any information on these resorts any tips would be appreciated. ie bowls to ski for intermediate/advanced, what the night life is like in each place ect ect.

Also I'm going to be going heli skiiing in Panorama, is it worth it for the experiance

Also if I have a 4x4 should I still get snow chains or can I get away without and will these be provided by the hire company?

Any help would be really appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skiing banff from Panorama is perfectly possible. If you don't fancy driving, then there are day trips by bus available - and also to Kicking Horse according to http://www.skipanorama.com/winter/winter_activities/village_active.html.

Don't forget to go to Radium Hot Springs one night.

I've never needed chains in Canada: either the road is open and passable with a 4x4 without chains, or the road is closed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpinebullit, There are some pics here taken a couple of years ago, we went in late March/Early April which was too late in the season really.

2 Hours to Banff from Calgary and 2 hours more onto Panorama. Did not ski KH or Heli-Ski but had a rave review of the Heli-Skiing from an American chap I sat next to on a chair lift.

Not much night life to talk of. Well organised with some tough stuff in the Tayton Bowl and other double black diamonds through the trees ( glades ). Most other pistes are very well groomed and flattering, nothing wrong with that either.

Hot pools and tubs right 'slopeside' made the trip for us as we are a family of three with a non skiing Mum.

Enjoy and do report back snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Everbody

I really appreciate your pointers, and the photos from your trip look great.

I'm all booked now and raring to go, just counting down the weeks until its time to go.

I'm looking forward to doing a bit of a rockies drive and also figured whilst I'm out based in Panorama it would be a shame to ski just one resort when I can ski a couple and see what the differences are and form my own opinions of places. I've skied Whistler a couple of times and spent a fair ammount of time in Vancouver, all I can say is I love Canada its got a great feel to the place.

I'll certainely report back to everybody, once again cheers for the pics.

Alpinebullit snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Based on my experience of driving in the US but not Canada, a 4x4 with snow tyres (check with the hire company or read the lettering on the tyre which should say it is a snow tyre) should be ok. California has pretty stringent rules for vehicles in snow but they dont need more than snow tyres on a 4x4. If it is bad enough to need chains on a 4x4 they just close the road!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpinebullit,

I've done it but the other way round. Panorama to KH is an hour and a half. Allow a minimum of 2 for Lake Louise and Sunshine. Had a 4x4, didn't need chains.

KH is covered in black runs. If you want a beer try Trappers or Packers in Golden.

Lake Louise is spectacular, get over to the back side of the mountain. Not worth stopping for much more than a beer in the lodge.

Sunshine is very open and can be f . . . airly cold and windy. If you get a sensation a bit like pins and needles, especially in any exposed skin, get indoors, take a break and have a coffee. It's the start of frostnip and if you stay out too long it'll become frost bite. I didn't realise when it happened to me and was lucky someone else spotted it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy