Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Improving your skiing on fat skis vs piste skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
WHERE ARE THE POWDER 8S GODDAMNIT!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, there was a bit of inner tip lead in there y,know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
galpinos wrote:
clarky999 Not impressed. I didn't see one clean carved turn.

That's 'cos there weren't any turns!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to work harder to ski my all-mountain skis decently on piste. Might that not be a good thing?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used to ski sl skis on and off piste ...
Have since 07 skied on 98mm seth vicious. Alhough not surprisingly they lack "precision" they are more than enough in all conditions.
Back to the Op regard progressing technique and the necessity for a narrower ski to do so, .... not too sure.
You can carve 98mm skis. They are designed to do short radius ( depends what you call short ) turns You just have to get on your game harder ... More focus and make the ski do what you want it to do. After a while it becomes second nature.
Progressing through to a "fatter ski" in my opinion will not harm your skiing. Perhaps when going back to a skinnier ski you will find piste skiing soooo easy...
adapt your skiing technique the other way around ?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 4-03-14 10:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Might that not be a good thing?

Quite possibly - once you have established a good basis of technique. My starting point was talking about intermediate/advanced skiers who I think really benefit from the positive feedback/reinforcement of a more appropriate tool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster, as opposed to just making it easier. I do see that.
Confused Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out this current thread:- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105073#2493843 on Whitedot Carbonlite Preachers. It is not just the width of the waist that determines how easy it is to ski on a fat ski on piste. Soul 7s are similarly easy to ski on piste, and I am sure some other fat skis are too, whereas I know from experience that some are trickier.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is this thread also not assuming that carving is the only skill worth aiming for? I think most intermediate/holiday/whatever skiers would be better working on good posture, nice pole plants and clean steered turns, as has been said time and time again most people can only carve on nice wide flattish pistes, the other skills I mention will help you in steeps, on narrow slopes, in bumps and crud.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My 98 mm seth vicious allow me to do all the above. I most definitely do not need anything skinnier to help my posture or ability to ski steeps or bumps. A skinnier waistline may help though ....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
limegreen1, Smile No I wasn't suggesting you need a skinny ski to do any of the things I said.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf,

I know ... But I'm definitely working on a skinnier waistline !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Is this thread also not assuming that carving is the only skill worth aiming for? I think most intermediate/holiday/whatever skiers would be better working on good posture, nice pole plants and clean steered turns, as has been said time and time again most people can only carve on nice wide flattish pistes, the other skills I mention will help you in steeps, on narrow slopes, in bumps and crud.

lynseyf, Def. finds favour with me as a comment Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I don't think so - skiing is really about edging, steering and blending the two depending the conditions and what you want to achieve. Carving is the ultimate edging skill and getting good at it allows you to redeploy those skills into less purely edged turns. It is also the way of getting used to the big movements to strong body positions that deliver high edge angles but getting confident in those big motions is to my mind the single biggest difference between intermediate and upper advanced skiers. Loads of recreational skiers never manage to get their feet very far laterally from their shoulders limiting themselves to relative weak postures that don't allow them to really drive their skis. It's important beyond carving (e.g. big GS shape turns in powder). Think also of skiing short turns on steep soft bumps or cut up crud, you might start off with mainly steered turns but throw in more edge angle partway through the turn as you build speed and the terrain gets steeper. You also then get to really load up the skis and pop out of the snow when you want to. Always fun and sometimes useful. The bedrock of these edging skills really comes from carving.

But like I said at the outset - my point on the potential costs of only skiing on fat skis too early in your technical development is only really relevant if you CARE about developing a good range of skiing skills. Many people are emtirely happy sticking to a limted tool boxes taht gets them where they want to go.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:
I'll just chuck this out here to show what you (maybe - I can't!) can do on fat skis out of the powder...

Februany from Sander Hadley
http://vimeo.com/87972046

Depends on how much of a noodle your fat ski is! This guy is bloody good though.. Absolutely shreds!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy